Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Booting from USB to install an OS

20 Mar 2013   #1
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 
Booting from USB to install an OS

I have an old HP notebook with no optical drive and the laptop is saying "no os found" or something like that. I want to install a fresh copy of windows 7 pro on it, but this is one statement from a Microsoft site regarding the issue.

"When you download the ISO file, you must copy the file onto a USB flash drive or a DVD to install Windows 7. When you're ready to install Windows 7, insert the USB flash drive into your USB port or insert your DVD into your DVD drive, and then run Setup.exe from the root folder on the drive"

If I cannot get to an area in which I can actually access the drive, how would I? The whole reason I need to reinstall is because is says OS not found, that is it. I cannot move on fro there although I do believe I can access the BIOS. Do I need the drive connected when I switch the boot order? What will it be called when the pc has no cd drive?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Mar 2013   #2
BEEFSTIX

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

Yes, you'll want to put in the disc/USB with the ISO burnt to it, and then start up your computer and enter BIOS.

Though your first problem seems to be that it's suddenly not detecting your current install and that could mean your HDD croaked, in which case trying to reinstall an OS on that HDD would be pointless.
Have you confirmed that the HDD is working? or is there a different reason your current OS isn't booting?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #3
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BEEFSTIX View Post
Yes, you'll want to put in the disc/USB with the ISO burnt to it, and then start up your computer and enter BIOS.

Though your first problem seems to be that it's suddenly not detecting your current install and that could mean your HDD croaked, in which case trying to reinstall an OS on that HDD would be pointless.
Have you confirmed that the HDD is working? or is there a different reason your current OS isn't booting?
How can I test if the HDD is bad or not?

And actually, sorry, It is a friends computer. they never really used it, but she does have small children so who knows what they did. I do believe I ran diagnostic and it didn't indicate that the HDD had any issues. When you say the ISO "burnt" to it, do you just mean placing the ISO onto the stick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Mar 2013   #4
BEEFSTIX

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

If you have any other PC you could try connecting it to that and see if you can access the files or boot from your HDD.
Or if anybody else has a functioning Hard drive that you can try to boot your PC off of that'd be fine too.

I don't know your situation over there but my local PC parts/repair shop lets you put your HDD into their Hard drive dock and will tell you if it's corrupted or working for free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #5
chadh89

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
How can I test if the HDD is bad or not?

And actually, sorry, It is a friends computer. they never really used it, but she does have small children so who knows what they did. I do believe I ran diagnostic and it didn't indicate that the HDD had any issues. When you say the ISO "burnt" to it, do you just mean placing the ISO onto the stick.
If you just place the .iso file onto the USB drive and arrange your BIOS to boot the USB drive first, you should be able to run it that way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #6
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BEEFSTIX View Post
If you have any other PC you could try connecting it to that and see if you can access the files or boot from your HDD.
Or if anybody else has a functioning Hard drive that you can try to boot your PC off of that'd be fine too.

I don't know your situation over there but my local PC parts/repair shop lets you put your HDD into their Hard drive dock and will tell you if it's corrupted or working for free.
Awesome! What needs to be done in order to test from another pc? I do have a laptop a desktop and an Imac
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #7
BEEFSTIX

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BEEFSTIX View Post
If you have any other PC you could try connecting it to that and see if you can access the files or boot from your HDD.
Or if anybody else has a functioning Hard drive that you can try to boot your PC off of that'd be fine too.

I don't know your situation over there but my local PC parts/repair shop lets you put your HDD into their Hard drive dock and will tell you if it's corrupted or working for free.
Awesome! What needs to be done in order to test from another pc? I do have a laptop a desktop and an Imac
Unless you have a handy-dandy external Hard Drive dock you'll have to take off side cover on your other desktop PC and connect the HDD, and then enter BIOS and change the boot priority to YOUR hard drive.
If you don't have spare the spare cables, just switch it with your current hard drive. Remember to plug in both the power and the data connections.

And of course you'll want to power off and unplug the PC before you start swapping HDDs in and out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #8
chadh89

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Awesome! What needs to be done in order to test from another pc? I do have a laptop a desktop and an Imac
If you enter the BIOS on your current PC and the HDD appears in the boot order list then it should be recognizing it without problems. I would say that as long as it is recognized, you should be fine to reformat it. On second thought to what I mentioned above, you will probably need a program to make the .iso bootable from the USB drive. This should do the trick: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-us...b-flash-drive/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #9
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chadh89 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mike6623 View Post
Awesome! What needs to be done in order to test from another pc? I do have a laptop a desktop and an Imac
If you enter the BIOS on your current PC and the HDD appears in the boot order list then it should be recognizing it without problems. I would say that as long as it is recognized, you should be fine to reformat it. On second thought to what I mentioned above, you will probably need a program to make the .iso bootable from the USB drive. This should do the trick: How To Use UltraISO Software To Create Bootable USB Flash Drive
Thanks! I will try this once I get off of work!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2013   #10
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 

As suggested enter BIOS setup at boot to check if HD is detected and set first to boot.

Then download your licensed version of Win7 to write to flash stick from Step 6 of Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start to work through the repair steps, or Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

Trigger the flash stick to boot for repairs or reinstall using the one-time BIOS boot menu key, under USB, Removable or HD's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Booting from USB to install an OS




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Error booting from Win7 Install Disk
Hi, I'm doing an upgrade from 32 bit XP to 32 bit Win7 on a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop. I've run the upgrade advisor. The desktop has 2 hard drives and a RAID controller configured in Stripe (RAID 0). I bought the Win7 Home Premium family pack (3 installs) and did the XP to Win7 upgrade...
Installation & Setup
No Install Window pops up when booting
I just purchased a full copy of windows 7 64 bit. When i boot from CD and it says "Windows is loading files..." and then proceeds to that nice blue screen.... well thats as far as i get no Install window pops up all i see is a pretty background and a mouse cursor. cant go any further than that....
Installation & Setup
my windows 7 DVD-cd not booting to install !!??
hi guys I have burn windows 7 ultimate on DVD-cd and I change all the setting in the BOIS the first boot from the DVD-cd and every thing is set to be able to boot but it's not boot and not start the install :confused: please some one can help me???? I have motherboard ASUS P7P55D
Installation & Setup
Can't install Win7 when booting from Disk
I have a little problem I was wondering if someone has some suggestions to fix. Problem: I have a D/R Win7 upgrade disk to install Win7. Have successfully installed Win7 from within XP, but wanted to reformat harddrive before install. So, I tried to boot from disk. I'm able to boot from disk, get...
Installation & Setup
Turns off during booting after install
I just put my new PC together today. I installed Windows 7 ok, went to restart, and about 10 seconds after the Windows logo comes up, it all turns off. Components are... MB: GB P55A-UD4P CPU: i5-750 RAM: Kingston DDR3-2000 4GB GPU: GB GTX260 OC PSU: Enermax Infiniti 650w 1 HDD
Installation & Setup
Clean Install vs. Booting from DVD
So my harddrive crashed on Thursday unfortunately right after I downloaded the student upgrade (Premium). Luckily, I did burn all 3 of the downloaded files to a data dvd disc (I didn't know how to make an .iso at the time), so I have not lost them. My question is, when I reinstall Vista on my...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App