Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Error when uninstalling some programs

13 Apr 2013   #31
VistaKing

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

kevindd992002

Lets try it this way . Open up a command prompt . By clicking on type in CMD inside Search programs and files right click on CMD as soon as it comes up underneath Programs(1) and choose Run as administrator . Click on Yes on the UAC window. Command Prompt should open up to C:\Windows\System32>_

Type in the commands below . Press <ENTER> after each line


wmic product get name
product where name="Enter the name here of the application" call uninstall


Note   Note
When you type in wmic product get name . IT will take a few seconds to generate a list of the applications installed on your PC . Once its done type in the exact name of the application that is listed on the list along with the quotes


Press Y to proceed with the uninstall of the application.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Apr 2013   #32
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

And if you still want to dig around to find out why this computer is not normal, you can download/open (nothing to install) Process Monitor.

See the videos in this post for how to use it - only you want to filter on file actions:
Missing, disappearing folder thumbnails only from the Desktop

Attached is a log file that shows the deletion of the iTunes shortcut.
Logfile.zip
You can compare it to what you see during an uninstall.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #33
gregrocker

 

There is more on troubleshooting with Process Monitor in the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

It's rare that one of the steps doesn't turn up an important clue, which is why I didn't originally specify any particular step several days ago. You want to go over your system closely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Apr 2013   #34
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
kevindd992002

Lets try it this way . Open up a command prompt . By clicking on type in CMD inside Search programs and files right click on CMD as soon as it comes up underneath Programs(1) and choose Run as administrator . Click on Yes on the UAC window. Command Prompt should open up to C:\Windows\System32>_

Type in the commands below . Press <ENTER> after each line


wmic product get name
product where name="Enter the name here of the application" call uninstall


Note   Note
When you type in wmic product get name . IT will take a few seconds to generate a list of the applications installed on your PC . Once its done type in the exact name of the application that is listed on the list along with the quotes


Press Y to proceed with the uninstall of the application.
Sorry for the late reply. I just tried this now. It was able to uninstall the application but it still didn't remove the shortcut successfully.

I just confirmed also that this is really happening to all programs that installs shortcut links in the Public folder. I tried uninstalling Adobe Acrobat using the uninstaller in control panel and it gave me the exact same error as what I've relayed in this thread. So this is not an isolated case for the NVIDIA 3D Vision Player.

What else can I do? There's got to be some minor setting to solve this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #35
VistaKing

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

kevindd992002

When you typed the command it generates a list. You have to type the exact name that the list generates or the uninstallation will not work.

You could try to use RevoUninstaller .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #36
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
kevindd992002

When you typed the command it generates a list. You have to type the exact name that the list generates or the uninstallation will not work.

You could try to use RevoUninstaller .
I already did that. As I've said in my last post, I was able to successfully uninstall the program using the command prompt, the instructions were easy to follow. The only thing that wasn't uninstalled was the shortcut.lnk associated with the program that was uninstalled already.

I don't want to resort in using third-party uninstallers as I believe that this behavior is not normal for a Win7 x64 OS. I hope you can further help me here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #37
VistaKing

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Can you delete that .ink manually?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #38
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
Can you delete that .ink manually?
Yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #39
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
....I tried uninstalling, just now, Wondershare Dr.Fone which also has its shortcut.lnk on the Public Desktop and I had no problem. Regarding Itunes, it is an exe file so I think this problem is not limited to MSI installers only....
Just as a reminder, some apps can remove a shortcut from the public desktop during uninstallation.


@OP,
Do you need help gathering/filtering data via Process Monitor? If you gather data while you uninstall iTunes, you should be able to compare the data that you see to the data that I gathered for you.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
And if you still want to dig around to find out why this computer is not normal, you can download/open (nothing to install) Process Monitor.

See the videos in this post for how to use it - only you want to filter on file actions:
Missing, disappearing folder thumbnails only from the Desktop

Attached is a log file that shows the deletion of the iTunes shortcut.
Attachment 264075
You can compare it to what you see during an uninstall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Apr 2013   #40
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
....I tried uninstalling, just now, Wondershare Dr.Fone which also has its shortcut.lnk on the Public Desktop and I had no problem. Regarding Itunes, it is an exe file so I think this problem is not limited to MSI installers only....
Just as a reminder, some apps can remove a shortcut from the public desktop during uninstallation.


@OP,
Do you need help gathering/filtering data via Process Monitor? If you gather data while you uninstall iTunes, you should be able to compare the data that you see to the data that I gathered for you.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
And if you still want to dig around to find out why this computer is not normal, you can download/open (nothing to install) Process Monitor.

See the videos in this post for how to use it - only you want to filter on file actions:
Missing, disappearing folder thumbnails only from the Desktop

Attached is a log file that shows the deletion of the iTunes shortcut.
Attachment 264075
You can compare it to what you see during an uninstall.
Yes please. What exactly do you want me to do? Sorry, I'm confused.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Error when uninstalling some programs




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Remove entries in Programs and Features" without uninstalling programs
Is there a way to remove entries from "Programs and Features"? The screenshot shows many entries for MegaSceneryEarth, can I get rid of all these entries someway? I do not want to uninstall the program, I just do not want all this crap showing up under "Programs and Features".
Software
Runtime Error when uninstalling programs
I get an error message when I try to uninstall HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 and HP Smart Web Printing. I bought a different printer, so I don't need that software anymore. Here is the message when uninstalling: "Runtime error. This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an...
BSOD Help and Support
After uninstalling programs, there's still 32.4GB of used space
Hello Brink, could you please help me with this? I recently got my new Dell laptop and it is loaded with bloatware. Even after uninstalling all the programs I have no need for, there's still 32.4GB of used space! Is it normal? I read it online that some people just went for a clean install to...
General Discussion
Uninstalling programs is not working.
I am trying to uninstall some programs on my computer but every time I try, I get this same message which I put below. Of course I have rebooted my pc, and the other more obvious issues concerning this but every time I go in and try it does the same thing.:mad: I really need to get some programs...
Software
Problem Uninstalling Programs
Hey everyone, I am unable to install some programs on my computer. When I go to uninstall programs published by Cyber-Link or HP, an InstallShield Wizard pops up and it says "Preparing to install." When it is done loading the window closes and after a very long wait, another window pops up saying:...
Software
Uninstalling Programs
Hi,Just found this forum so this is my first post. I'm having a problem with uninstalling programs. This is what happens. I press start, contol panel, programs and features then select the program to uninstall, then press the uninstall/change bar. As soon as I do this, a message box comes up for a...
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:44.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App