Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to update Vista(x64) to Win7(x64) on dual-boot computer?


16 Apr 2013   #1

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 
How to update Vista(x64) to Win7(x64) on dual-boot computer?

Hi,

I need to upgrade my Windows OS on a dual-boot computer.

I was hoping that I could just purchase this

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32- or 64-bit) GLC-00184 B&H Photo=

and do the "upgrade install" option.

However, I don't know if it will be as simple as that since I am in a dual boot configuration. (System specs below.)

I also don't really know which boot loader the computer uses, and the company which built it is no longer in business.

Previously, I had to update to SP2. I couldn't get it to work, until I found advice on a Linux dual-boot forum which said to disconnect the power and SATA cables to the non Windows drives for the SP2 update to be able to take effect. This worked.

Would an upgrade install be as easy as unplugging the these drives and running the installer, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Apr 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

post screenshot of disk management in Windows 7. All fields visible please
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Does the first bootmenu you see look similar to this?

the Windows Boot Manager screen, select the OS you want to use the Advanced Boot Options for, then press F8. (see screenshot below)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Apr 2013   #4

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 

Here is my disc management.


Attached Thumbnails
How to update Vista(x64) to Win7(x64) on dual-boot computer?-disc-management.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

There's no need to create a Windows Dual Boot menu if you have separate HD's. Just boot the preferred HD by setting it first to boot in BIOS setup. Then boot the other OS HD using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

In that case you'd unplug all other HD's to run the Upgrade install from Vista. A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade - Windows 7 Forums

Afterwards plug back in the other OS HD and choose the one to boot using the BIOS as explained.

In addition why are you running with the hideously ugly Windows 2000 graphics when your hardware more than supports the elegant Aero transparency theme for Windows 7? Turn it on in Control Panel>Personalization or type Aero in Start Search box to run the troubleshooter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #6

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 

I am in Vista dual-boot wanting to upgrade to Windows 7.

The first boot-menu that I see is a "psystar" boot-menu.

Third image down on this review:

Psystar OpenPro Review - Desktops - CNET Reviews
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #7

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 

Image of boot menu.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

The link indicates you have a specially built PC meant to Dual Boot Apple OSX and Windows Vista. Your screenshot also depicts a UEFI System partition on OSX which adds additional complication.

Before proceeding I'd read the Manual for your PC on its Support Downloads webpage. I'd also contact their Support to see how Vista is Upgraded while maintaining the Dual Boot, and if there's a way to Dual Boot via the BIOS bypassing their Boot Menu.

In this case unless you want to try to turn off the Dual Boot in BIOS, you might be better off sticking with it since it looks like its built into the OEM at factory.

I would still unplug the Apple HD, set the Vista HD to boot first to see if it will start on its own. In this case you should be able to Upgrade to Windows 7 without it interfering with the Dual Boot. If you plug back in OS X HD and the Dual Boot is gone, then you can boot via the BIOS BOot Priority and BOot menu which is preferable anyway.

Normally when you install Windows 7 last, even upgrading Vista, with another WIndows OS onboard and still plugged in it will configure a Multi-Boot menu, however there's no way this will happen with an Apple product which requires special software to use with Windows, normally Boot Camp. Do you know if that's what's on the PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #9

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
There's no need to create a Windows Dual Boot menu if you have separate HD's. Just boot the preferred HD by setting it first to boot in BIOS setup. Then boot the other OS HD using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.
I'm not creating it. It's already there. I just don't want to screw up being able to boot either choice because of any installatiion mistakes.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
In that case you'd unplug all other HD's to run the Upgrade install from Vista. A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade - Windows 7 Forums
Is it just the power, just the SATA, or both that need to be disconnected?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Afterwards plug back in the other OS HD and choose the one to boot using the BIOS as explained.

In addition why are you running with the hideously ugly Windows 2000 graphics when your hardware more than supports the elegant Aero transparency theme for Windows 7? Turn it on in Control Panel>Personalization or type Aero in Start Search box to run the troubleshooter.
Sorry you don't like my theme, as it is set for performance with video editing software.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2013   #10

Windows Vista Ultimate x64, SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
The link indicates you have a specially built PC meant to Dual Boot Apple OSX and Windows Vista. Your screenshot also depicts a UEFI System partition on OSX which adds additional complication.

Before proceeding I'd read the Manual for your PC on its Support Downloads webpage. I'd also contact their Support to see how Vista is Upgraded while maintaining the Dual Boot, and if there's a way to Dual Boot via the BIOS bypassing their Boot Menu.
Psystar is out of business, and the "manual" it came withh is three pages long.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I would still unplug the Apple HD, set the Vista HD to boot first to see if it will start on its own. In this case you should be able to Upgrade to Windows 7 without it interfering with the Dual Boot. If you plug back in OS X HD and the Dual Boot is gone, then you can boot via the BIOS BOot Priority and BOot menu which is preferable anyway.
As I mentioned in the original post, the computer boots straight to Vista when I disconnected the OSX HD.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
...Boot Camp. Do you know if that's what's on the PC?
I don't know, but I think it was something the system builder made themselves.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to update Vista(x64) to Win7(x64) on dual-boot computer?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to update Vista(x64) to Win7(x64) on dual-boot computer?
Thread Forum
Remove Vista from Vista / Win7 Dual Boot - Separate Drives Installation & Setup
A fresh win7 install over a win7/vista dual boot system ? Installation & Setup
Keep Vista and reinstalling win7 help ( dual boot ) Installation & Setup
Win Vista\7 dual boot: How do I put more GB on Win7? Installation & Setup
Custom Install Win7 on XP Pro/Vista HP dual boot Installation & Setup
Win7/Vista dual-boot ? Installation & Setup
Dual Boot Win7 x64 with Vista x64 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33