Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Pro Initial Setup Questions

12 Oct 2009   #1

Windows XP Pro
 
 
Windows 7 Pro Initial Setup Questions

I am trying to parepare for when I receive my new Dell Studio XPS 9000 next month. I should note that my computer will be used as a standalone computer only , connected to the internet with the AT&T DSL, using the 2WIRE Router. I would appreciate answers to the following questions:

a. What are the Procedures for disabling shared printers, shared folders and files, and Wi-Fi capability?

b. I plan to use the MS Security Essentials for the new computer. Just before receiving my new Dell computer, Can I download this program on my existing Dell computer and then burn it to a CD, so as to have it ready for the new Dell computer when it arrives??

c. Network connections - As I understand it after reading one of the recently published Windows 7 handbook, during the initial boot up, I will have a chocie of "Home Network,' "Work Network," and "Public Network." The more I read, about network connections the less I understand!! Since the new computer will be the only computer to be used, do I really need a local network? I am currently using windows XP Pro and don't have a local network setup. I don't want to setup a local network unless I need to because of increased security.. If I don't slect any of the offered network options during the initial computer bootup, what is the procedure to connect to the internet for a standalone computer?

Any other suggestions would also be very much appreciated. Thanks Sam


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 x2 + x86 + Windows 8.1 x64 x2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scams View Post
I am trying to parepare for when I receive my new Dell Studio XPS 9000 next month. I should note that my computer will be used as a standalone computer only , connected to the internet with the AT&T DSL, using the 2WIRE Router. I would appreciate answers to the following questions:

a. What are the Procedures for disabling shared printers, shared folders and files, and Wi-Fi capability?
If when you are setting up your network you select "public" this will automatically disable local network access (public is this case means in a public location where you do not wish to share with any other users).

If you have a built in wireless option on the PC this may be disabled following instructions in the Dell documentation or if this is not possible in the Network and Sharing centre

Quote:
b. I plan to use the MS Security Essentials for the new computer. Just before receiving my new Dell computer, Can I download this program on my existing Dell computer and then burn it to a CD, so as to have it ready for the new Dell computer when it arrives??
As MSE performs a genuine windows check whilst downloading and prior installing this would not really provide any advantages.

Quote:
c. Network connections - As I understand it after reading one of the recently published Windows 7 handbook, during the initial boot up, I will have a chocie of "Home Network,' "Work Network," and "Public Network." The more I read, about network connections the less I understand!! Since the new computer will be the only computer to be used, do I really need a local network? I am currently using windows XP Pro and don't have a local network setup. I don't want to setup a local network unless I need to because of increased security.. If I don't slect any of the offered network options during the initial computer bootup, what is the procedure to connect to the internet for a standalone computer?

Any other suggestions would also be very much appreciated. Thanks Sam
As stated above the public option is the one I would suggest in your circumstances - You are after all connected to a network - The internet, you just need to disable the additional local connectivity
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

A. Those are off by default, and Wi-Fi can be disabled through various means.
B. Yes, but why waste a CD? Keep a USB flash drive with all your drivers and main apps on it.
C. If you are connected to a router, you technically have a home network setup already. The labels for the networks determine what is enabled or disabled be default, so just set it accordingly.

If I am getting the gist of it you are WAY overly paranoid about security. Install the OS, install MSE, grab a manual scanner like Malwarebytes, and enjoy using the system. Nothing changed about the network setup, so nothing will be different, in terms of how you connect to the internet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Oct 2009   #4

Windows XP Pro
 
 
Thanks

Barman58 and DeaconFrost,

many thanks for your reply and information, Sam.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Pro Initial Setup Questions




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 Pro Initial Setup Questions
Thread Forum
RAID Setup - Alienware - A few setup questions? Hardware & Devices
Solved After initial setup of new laptop, I can't login Installation & Setup
Solved Is there a tutorial for initial setup of Outlook 2010? Browsers & Mail
Win7 Starter getting error on initial setup; locked in setup loop Installation & Setup
Run the initial setup again Installation & Setup
Windows 07 hang at "initial setup" BSOD Help and Support
Questions about initial setup General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33