Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Windows 7 on unallocated space -recommended?


13 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Installing Windows 7 on unallocated space -recommended?

If you delete all the partitions on your disk, except, say, a for-data partition you had before, and perform a clean install of Windows 7 on unallocated space, it will automatically partition and format the space it has on its disposal.

It did in my case, and this brings some tangible benefits - the System Reserved mini-partition that is created this way has the Recovery Options loaded on it (no need for your installation disc for startup repairs and such), and it also makes it possible for you to use BitLocker on your system partition without having to go through the procedure of creating a BitLocker partition later.

Would it be wise then to have a recommendation here on this forum to install Win 7 this way, especially if someone has Windows 7 Ultimate?

This is what it looks like on my rig:




Attached Thumbnails
Installing Windows 7 on unallocated space -recommended?-disk.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2009   #2

7600.20510 x86
 
 

True. I don't have the special 100 mb partition because I installed to a previously used disk/partition. Consensus here is that it is good to have that partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teerex View Post
If you delete all the partitions on your disk, except, say, a for-data partition you had before, and perform a clean install of Windows 7 on unallocated space, it will automatically partition and format the space it has on its disposal.

It did in my case, and this brings some tangible benefits - the System Reserved mini-partition that is created this way has the Recovery Options loaded on it (no need for your installation disc for startup repairs and such), and it also makes it possible for you to use BitLocker on your system partition without having to go through the procedure of creating a BitLocker partition later.

Would it be wise then to have a recommendation here on this forum to install Win 7 this way, especially if someone has Windows 7 Ultimate?

This is what it looks like on my rig:
The 100Mb space take is the space reserved for OEM .i.e. Original Equipment Manufacturer...and it is not required for others to have the same...!!...so, you can install windows 7 as you said...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

No, it is not reserved by OEMs, OEM's wil reserve a much bigger partition (1-4 GB)to restore their customized image of Windows 7.

This one is a nice feature of the Windows 7 installation process which should be used, at least for Ultimate IMO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #5

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
I don't have the special 100 mb partition because I installed to a previously used disk/partition.
Same here. And since I do not use Bitlocker to encrypt my Windows drive (I'd rather use TrueCrypt), I find the extra 100MB partition unnecessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Hi Teerex

This is not a new feature, can be done with Win2000 & XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Hi Teerex

This is not a new feature, can be done with Win2000 & XP.

How can it be done? Does it do this by default? I don't think so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

In addition to the usual bcdedit entries, I have these additions to the list:

recoverysequence
recoveryenabled


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2014   #9

Windows 7 64 bits
 
 
Install windows on unallocated space

Hello,

Thank you I found this page first on Google when searched about installing windows in unallocated space, my new Lenovo had no system and I am installed Windows 7 from USB.

I saw unallocated space and didn't know if it was good or not to install windows there.

Now I'm sure <3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2014   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Unallocated Space is what is left after your delete partitions, that's all. If you had Logical (data) partitions there then it will be called Free Space, and is not fully Unallocated until you delete it again in Disk Mgmt.

It's up to you if you proceed with install before creating New partitions(s) and Formatting using the Drive Options shown in Steps 7/8 of Clean Install Windows 7. If you do nothing the installer will create and format for you a full disk partition with the small 100mb System Reserved which is no problem at all and not even worth discussing one way or other other.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows 7 on unallocated space -recommended?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Installing Windows 7 on unallocated space -recommended?
Thread Forum
Unallocated disk space error, Can not partition volume space Performance & Maintenance
Solved Cannot do anything with unallocated space Hardware & Devices
Solved how can i use unallocated space !!!! General Discussion
Unallocated 7.84 mb space materializes (from Outer Space?) General Discussion
unallocated space Installation & Setup
Solved Windows 7 Unallocated Space Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33