Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual boot fail

13 Oct 2009   #1
knottshawk

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 
Dual boot fail

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which WAS dual booted with XP on both partitions. I did a quick format on the C partition and tried to install Win7. After it finished, I had a blinking cursor and nothing else. So, I did a real format (using KillDisk) on the C partition and, again, installed Win7. This time it will boot into Win7, but I get no options for selecting what partition to boot into. So... I tried the following:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"


bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=E:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

When this finished, I rebooted and got the screen to select my OS. I chose my old XP partition (the one on the E drive) and I got an error regarding the ntldr file... it says "Status: 0xc000000f" and "Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt"
I can still boot into Windows 7 if I choose that option. What do I do now?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2009   #2
DarkXeno

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by knottshawk View Post
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop which WAS dual booted with XP on both partitions. I did a quick format on the C partition and tried to install Win7. After it finished, I had a blinking cursor and nothing else. So, I did a real format (using KillDisk) on the C partition and, again, installed Win7. This time it will boot into Win7, but I get no options for selecting what partition to boot into. So... I tried the following:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"


bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=E:

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

When this finished, I rebooted and got the screen to select my OS. I chose my old XP partition (the one on the E drive) and I got an error regarding the ntldr file... it says "Status: 0xc000000f" and "Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt"
I can still boot into Windows 7 if I choose that option. What do I do now?
If i am reading this post correctly you did a format on your C: drive? Where your XP was located?? So it removed your XP install and now you only have Win 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #3
knottshawk

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I had XP twice... One was on the C drive and one on the E drive. I formatted C in order to install Win7 but now I can't boot into my XP on the E drive either...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Oct 2009   #4
DarkXeno

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Ok that makes more sense now, check out this post and see if it helps
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #5
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Run a startup repair by booting to the Win 7 DVD. If it fixes the boot into Win 7 which it should, boot into Win 7 and use BCDEdit to add the XP partition as a boot choice.

You may have to previously add a drive letter for XP partition in disk management if it is not already included and seen in Computer (Windows Explorer.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #6
knottshawk

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkXeno View Post
Ok that makes more sense now, check out this post and see if it helps
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP
I don't see an option that addresses my situation in there... it's giving me choices about creating a partition... I already have the partitions. I've got both OS's installed... WinXP just seems to have lost its ntldr somehow and when I create it I get that error message above.... I never had this problem when dual booting with just XP....

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Run a startup repair by booting to the Win 7 DVD. If it fixes the boot into Win 7 which it should, boot into Win 7 and use BCDEdit to add the XP partition as a boot choice.

You may have to previously add a drive letter for XP partition in disk management if it is not already included and seen in Computer (Windows Explorer.)
Win7 boots fine and I already used BCDedit... Did I use BCDedit incorrectly? (see first post)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #7
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

To tell ya the truth, I had triple boot with XP being one, and I would get the same error as you trying to boot to XP.

I eventually fixed it but I don't remember exactly how. Use EasyBCD to double check that it is setup correctly. You can also use msconfig.exe, boot tab, for information on troubleshooting.

Edit: I believe you have to edit the boot.ini file on XP partition to point correctly. It is currently looking to boot the wrong partition. Yeah! That was the fix for me heh heh.

Check my posts and this thread here:

Dual boot 7 and xp
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #8
knottshawk

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

So how do I edit boot.ini for an OS that won't startup?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #9
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Assign your XP partition a drive letter in Win 7 disk management if it doesn't already have one. Set Windows Explorer (Computer) to see all hidden and system files.
Go to boot.ini at the root of the XP partition. Right click it and take off read only. Now you can edit it with notepad and save. When your system boots good into XP, place the read only back onto boot.ini.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #10
knottshawk

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

I can browse my E drive, but there's no boot.ini available. FYI, it's not available on my other XP computer either... only thru editing...can't browse to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual boot fail




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual monitor fail
Up until two days ago I was able to view my work on two monitors (both eizo S1901 digital). Suddenly yesterday the second one which is attached with hdmi was not recognized. After a couple of restarts it worked fine. Today same thing, after a couple of restarts I got both monitors but low...
Hardware & Devices
Windows boot fail: Boot selection failed because a required device is
Hi there, I've recently built a new rig and I've had continuous problems trying to boot. I have two HDDs and one SDD. It seems when the two HDDs are plugged in, i can sometimes boot ok, and most times i get: Or Please select a boot device, or something to the affect. I've updated to the...
Hardware & Devices
Oxc0000225 boot fail after resizing storage drive want to duel boot
Hi i want to duel boot windows 7 and windows 8.1...i have a 240gb ssd with windows 7 already installed on it....i also have a 2tb storage hardrive and i use this for storage..btw this hardrive did have my windows 7 on it untill i bought the ssd then i ported windows 7 on to the ssd using Paragon...
Installation & Setup
Dual boot installation fail - 7 and XP
I am trying to get XP and 7 to run in dual boot mode. 7 is installed first. I am following the instructions posted in the tutorial by Brink on this site. I have made a partition and when I start the XP install and XP finishes the copy proses and the pc restarts I get an error message: Windows...
Installation & Setup
6870 dual monitor fail
I've got a Sapphire Radeon 6870 that seems to have only one working DVI port, of the two on it. Both sets of cables work, one is brand new. Both monitors work. I can't use the HDMI out as I don't have an extension cable. I've tried using just the one that apparently doesn't work after a restart,...
Graphic Cards
Dual boot 2 Win 7s make the second fail.
The situation is simple, just got a new HDD and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 on it - now when i try to remove the previous HDD (with the previous version of 7 on it) it won't boot. Is there any way windows can configure the MBR or am i forced to reinstall ?
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App