Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Account unkown profiles

24 May 2013   #1
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 
Account unkown profiles

I went into User Profiles windows and noticed several Account Unknown profiles like this:



Now, what are those profiles? I also have another system with a fresh install of Win7 x64 and updated all drivers and Windows Updates and I also noticed around 2 Account Unknown profiles. When I try to delete them, it doesn't want me to. Do I need to do something about these?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 May 2013   #2
josearedux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Does your primary login account also appear in the above dialog?
If you open CP- user accounts - manage another.. - Do you see the account you normally use as well as Guest (disabled) ?
If both answers are yes, I would boot into safe mode and run your virus scanner and a malware program such as malwarebytes just to rule out malware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #3
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Yes it does, no problem with that as I only have one login account.

Yes, when I open CP - user accounts - manage another, I see my main account and an OFF Guest account.

I already run virus scanner in safe mode and came out clean. I read in the Internet that some Windows updates are creating these suspicious accounts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 May 2013   #4
josearedux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I guess that is possible but I am totally up to date with Win 7 home (except for IE 10) and only see my primary account in the dialog you posted above. Do you see any related errors or warnings in event viewer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #5
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josea View Post
I guess that is possible but I am totally up to date with Win 7 home (except for IE 10) and only see my primary account in the dialog you posted above. Do you see any related errors or warnings in event viewer?
Hmmm, weird. I don't have any related errors/warnings in event viewer. Well, as I've said I also see these account unknown profiles even with my fresh install. What could be my next step in solving these?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #6
gregrocker

 

Delete them. If Updates needs one for staging it will create another.

You'll need to use the Admin account which is the one which should have been set up during install.

In addition if this is pre-installed Win7 I would consider getting the superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 without the factory bloatware and duplicate utilities.

At the least I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware making sure to run a Clean Boot so freeloaders don't start up and run with Win7.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #7
josearedux

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

After some reseach I would agree ^^^^ , but you may have to login with the hidden administrator account to do it. I read somewhere that Nvidia updater creates it own user account (& profile) so it may be associated with it.
Just curious do you use windows update to update drivers (I do not) ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2013   #8
gregrocker

 

Good work, Josea. It could very well be the Nvidia crapware since this is preinstalled Win7 which always has more than a dozen freeloaders starting up on Win7's back.

So until one can get the vastly superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 it's important to Clean Up Factory Bloatware - especially establishing a Clean Boot with only the lean recommended AV starting with Windows.

Nvidia needs nothing to start with Win7, only the driver in Device Manager. The crap it bundles with the driver can be easily turned off in msconfig.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2013   #9
kevindd992002

Windows 7 Ultimate x6
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Delete them. If Updates needs one for staging it will create another.

You'll need to use the Admin account which is the one which should have been set up during install.

In addition if this is pre-installed Win7 I would consider getting the superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 without the factory bloatware and duplicate utilities.

At the least I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware making sure to run a Clean Boot so freeloaders don't start up and run with Win7.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Josea View Post
After some reseach I would agree ^^^^ , but you may have to login with the hidden administrator account to do it. I read somewhere that Nvidia updater creates it own user account (& profile) so it may be associated with it.
Just curious do you use windows update to update drivers (I do not) ?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Good work, Josea. It could very well be the Nvidia crapware since this is preinstalled Win7 which always has more than a dozen freeloaders starting up on Win7's back.

So until one can get the vastly superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 it's important to Clean Up Factory Bloatware - especially establishing a Clean Boot with only the lean recommended AV starting with Windows.

Nvidia needs nothing to start with Win7, only the driver in Device Manager. The crap it bundles with the driver can be easily turned off in msconfig.
This is definitely NOT a pre-installed Windows 7. I am a savvy kind of guy when reinstalling Win7 and I did this from scratch, from an OEM install disc. I am also very careful in installing only the necessary software in my system and you can consider mine a bloatware-free system.

Yes, I know about NVIDIA creating a user account for its updater but it is called [computer-name]\UpdatusUser and not the Account Unknown profiles we are talking about.

Also, no I get all my updated drivers from the manufacturers website directly. I never update my drivers through Windows update.

With all these info mentioned, what can be the cause of these profiles? When I try delete them, an error prompt of the message "Profile not deleted completely. Error - The directory is not empty." appears but they are removed from the list anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2013   #10
gregrocker

 

Win7 is driver-complete. We stopped having to worry about drivers after XP. If you're shoveling drivers into WIn7 then it's asking for trouble and using XPired methods.

In Win8 the user doesn't even interact with drivers - they are all done in the background using WIn7 technology.

The profiles in question appear to be Roaming Profiles similar to those used with remote desktop. When you get the error "Profile not deleted completely. Error - The directory is not empty" it most often means an open-handle with a process still running in the profile, often a print spooler.

There is more about this and a hotfix here: Roaming profile copies not deleted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Account unkown profiles




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Account and profiles management
Hi I have Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and I configured an Administrators account. Now, having to create 5 Users accounts,I would like to create them using the same settings (of the desktop, the Internet Options, the power saving options, the WMP options, ...) of the account already configured. How...
Installation & Setup
Help with an unkown device...
I've installed windows 7 home premium on a sony vaio laptop. I have an unknown device in device manager and I can't figure out what it is. I've been to intel's website and ran the checker there, all drivers are up to date. Any ideas would be helpful... TIA
Installation & Setup
UNKOWN BSOD HELP
HERES MY PC BSOD NIFO I HAVE GIVING MY PC TO SHOP FOR REPAIR N ITS BEEN WITH HIM FOR MORE THEN A MONTH N YET HE CUDNT FIND THE PROBLEM FOR CASSIN BSOD SO HERE IS MY INFO HOPE U CAN FIND THT ERROR WHICH CASSIN ALL THIS PROBLEM Log Name: System Source: ...
BSOD Help and Support
Multiple Printer Profiles; Deleting Unneeded Profiles
It has been my practice with prior versions of Windows OS's to set up multiple printer profiles, one for drafts, one for color, etc. "The Devices and Printers" section allows me to create such profiles, but does not show them individually. When I delete them in Windows, they are not deleted in...
Performance & Maintenance
Unkown Publisher
Hello, Im new to these boards, and I did try the search function but I havent seen anything regarding the Unkown Publisher problem im running into. Its strange... when I download a Driver (Nvidia) or a program (Ventrilo) it will not even attempt to run the program. I am running the 64 bit OS,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App