Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 install problem catch 22

07 Jul 2013   #11
superkev1503

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You can access Command Prompt from the installer's System Recovery Options.
Thanks I was not aware of that.

Here's what I did, partially out of frustration I guess: Loaded a Linux Live CD, nuked the partitions and reformatted the entire drive to ntfs.

I am now in the middle of my second re-install of the day

It is frustrating because Linux works great on this machine and recognizes everything right off no issues. But this is my gamer machine so I need Windows on it to play my games.

Any advice or tips while I am waiting for this to install once again??

Thank you for all the help, much appreciated!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jul 2013   #12
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
HDD Problem?

You said that the Live Linux CD/DVD works correctly.
Have you run a disc check from GParted or your Windows install disc?
Maybe the HDD has some dodgy sectors.

Can you pre-partition your HDD and install Linux and Windows successfully (ignoring the display issue)?
If you can, then you should do so.
Does Linux run correctly when it is installed on your HDD?

If the problem is some sort of corrupted file, you may be able to replace it (i.e. download a new version and use Linux to copy it to your Windows install).

Do you have a backup HDD image of your old system?
You may be able to copy files from that to use as replacements.

Obviously you would have to discover which files (if any) are broken.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #13
superkev1503

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Just did a full re-install on a formatted clean HDD, when I select the option for safe mode with command prompt all I get is the error message saying that windows cannot complete the installation And I do not get a command prompt just the big error message box.

I am at my wits end with this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2013   #14
gregrocker

 

Did you reset the BIOS to defaults from my last post?

I also asked where you got the Win7 installer, if it has successfully installed recently and what to do if not.

In rare cases old HD code can interfere with install so I'd wipe the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command to get a clean slate.

I've asked experts on hardware and video cards to look in. Be patient. You may need to rest as frustration can work against resolving it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #15
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

superkev1503, If you can get into windows safe mode or any mode, click the start button, type device manager into the search box and click on device manager that appears. Expand 'display adaptors' see if your video card is listed. you will see I have a GTX 670. Also, the automatically update drivers is in CCC, but is not very reliable. You can also, if you are on a clean install, go to AMD web site, in the first box select desktop graphics, in the second box select automatically detect and install. But only do that if your card is listed in device manager and you have no graphics drivers installed.

EDIT: also where did you get the install disk? If you downloaded it, where from and how did you burn it to DVD or put it on flash drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #16
superkev1503

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did you reset the BIOS to defaults from my last post?

I also asked where you got the Win7 installer, if it has successfully installed recently and what to do if not.

In rare cases old HD code can interfere with install so I'd wipe the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command to get a clean slate.

I've asked experts on hardware and video cards to look in. Be patient. You may need to rest as frustration can work against resolving it.
BIOS are set to defaults, yes

The install medium is a standard OEM DVD.

Yeah, I am pretty close to tossing this thing out the window, very frustrating when something like the command prompt won't even come up for you when you select that option. Half tempted to just go back to XP

Thank for the help so far, maybe those you have asked to look at this will have some ideas, I am just so used to Linux almost always working and easy set up that this is double the frustration for me. I know my hardware is fine, so it's definitely a software issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #17
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

If your installer is from the Windows iso download site, try doing it all over on a freshly formatted USB flash drive or new DVD-R. Occasionally the iso is corrupted the first time.

Try using a graphics driver maybe 2-3 version back, newer is not always better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #18
gregrocker

 

Does your OEM DVD have SP1? I'd download the latest just to be sure, for the Media Refresh alone. Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

So far even the hardware guys still think the install still needs proving.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #19
superkev1503

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
superkev1503, If you can get into windows safe mode or any mode, click the start button, type device manager into the search box and click on device manager that appears. Expand 'display adaptors' see if your video card is listed. you will see I have a GTX 670. Also, the automatically update drivers is in CCC, but is not very reliable. You can also, if you are on a clean install, go to AMD web site, in the first box select desktop graphics, in the second box select automatically detect and install. But only do that if your card is listed in device manager and you have no graphics drivers installed.

EDIT: also where did you get the install disk? If you downloaded it, where from and how did you burn it to DVD or put it on flash drive?
I can't get in to any mode, regular boot is just a blank screen and any type of safe mode I go to just gives me the error message that windows cannot complete installation in safe mode and it will finish next time I boot up, so it's just an endless circle unfortunately.

My disk is a OEM DVD as I said above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2013   #20
superkev1503

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Does your OEM DVD have SP1? I'd download the latest just to be sure, for the Media Refresh alone. Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.

So far even the hardware guys still think the install still needs proving.
Yes, it's Windows 7 Professional with SP1 according to the packaging
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 install problem catch 22




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't log into domain catch-22
I can't figure out a solution to this, maybe someone else knows. I have a user with a laptop, a member of our domain. The user is off site in an airport and needs to connect to our VPN to access everything. When he tries to log in with his domain account he gets: 'there are currently no...
Network & Sharing
Catch 22
I have an unused Win 8 upgrade key and want to use it in VMware Player running in Win 7. As it's an upgrade key I can't use it for a clean install (I've tried) so I'm having to install some other windows version first and then use Microsoft's Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Windows Help...
Virtualization
Catch 22 with McAfee and Windows Updates
I recently reinstalled Windows on an Acer 64 bit desktop. I installed it from the Acer backup partition. Everything was fine except for my McAfee antivirus. Although I could install McAfee Security Suite itself, I could not get the antivirus bit to install. After the reinstall I did well over...
System Security
tv catch up is slow
Hello everyone, My tv catch up is slow, and the picture is fizzy and i have tried downloading quick time player to make the picture quality better. Still hasn't worked, I have a dell pp41l, and the processor is intel celeron and the speed of this laptop is 1.8Ghz. Please can anyone give me...
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App