|21 Oct 2009||#1|
| || |
Dual boot Windows 98 SE and Windows 7
New to the forum and hoping someone here can help. I've managed to install Win98SE and Windows 7 RTM on the same machine but can no longer boot into Win98.
Going with the rule of thumb of older OS first, I Here is what I did:
1. Started up with Win98SE CD, repartitioned and reformatted the whole drive using FDISK from the CD. Disk is 116GB.
2. As Windows 7 won't install on FAT32, I then booted up with a GParted disk, shrunk the FAT32 partition to 20GB, leaving it at the beginning of the disk.
3. Rebooted into Win98 to see if it still ran and all was fine. Booted up and could see the C: drive now reduced from 116 to just over 20GB as resized by GParted.
4. Then rebooted with Windows 7 RTM DVD, doing a custom install and selecting the unallocated space left by GParted to install on.
5. Windows 7 installed but did not create a dual boot menu like expected.
How do get a dual boot menu up now so that I can select either 98 or Windows 7 on startup? I can see both drives from Windows 7 so the Win98 install is there, just don't know how to boot into it without a boot manager set up?
Any help appreciated...
|My System Specs|
|22 Oct 2009||#3|
| || |
Indeed, it is last century... that was such a good time! lol
Seriously, just want to revive some old DOS games that I've tried running via a Virtual PC running on XP, or via XP's compatibility mode and even had a go at DosBox but that required way too much fiddling. Figured the only real way to get it to work is run on proper Win98, none of these other simulator type solutions seem to work for me.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Dual boot Windows 98 SE and Windows 7|
|Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot||General Discussion|
|Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader||Installation & Setup|
|Windows XP and Windows 7 dual boot. Problem with Windows 7 start up||Installation & Setup|
|Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot||General Discussion|
|windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives||General Discussion|
|Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot||Installation & Setup|
|dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot||Installation & Setup|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.