Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Downgrade Dell Win8 pro to Win7 Pro with Dell DVD

05 Sep 2013   #1

XP/7x32-x64/8x64
 
 
Downgrade Dell Win8 pro to Win7 Pro with Dell DVD

I want to replace Win8 Pro x64 on Dell laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64
Windows 7 DVD is a "Dell" DVD supplied with the Dell laptop.
There is no Win8 DVD

I have been tweaking MS OS since Win95, Win98, WinXP, Windows 7. Writing AutoCad and Excel addins, scripting ... but never installed an OS
I am the original village idiot. Have never installed an OS in my life.
So I would appreciate gentle humoring and micro step instructions.

Have started to read An Old School Geek’s approach to Installing & Setting Up a Windows PC ... all beyond me.

I would like to be well prepared before I do anything

Do I need to get any other drivers ?

What do I do and where do I start?

I would appreciate any help, thak you
-----
PC Specs
Dell Inspiron 15 3521
Service Tag:=
Express Service Code:=
Screen size:= 15.6 inches
CPU:= Intel Pentium, 2007U @ 1.80GHz
RAM:= 2GB (1.87GB)
Disk drive:= 285 GB HDD -- Hitachi HTS545032A7E380
DVD/CD drive:= Matshita DVD+RW UJ8C2
Current OS:= Win8 Pro x64 -- preloaded on the Dell laptop -- to be replaced with Win 7
Proposed OS:= Windows 7 Pro x64 -- Dell Reinstallation DVD
Single user, ie, Admin/User only


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Sep 2013   #2

Win7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Have a look at this, gives you step by step list outlining all the important stuff and lots of extra habdy bits
Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
The critical part is having your networking drivers (LAN/wireless) before you start

Heres the page
http://www.dell.com/support/troubles...spiron-15-3521
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #3

Windows 7, 64 bit Home SP1, Win 8.1.1 Pro 64 bit
 
 

First, Dell says the service tag is "personal" information and should not be shared publicly. I used to do work on the Dell community users forums and the service tag was a "forbidden" item on their forums. I would suggest removing that from your system list.

As this apparently came with Windows 8, the Win 7 DVD I assume came from another Dell. "Legally" the OEM Operating System supplied with a new PC is only licensed for the system it was delivered with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Sep 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

1) Downgrade to Windows 7.
Downgrade Windows 8 to Windows 7
Warning you must have the UEFI/BIOS firmware setting in Step Three set.

Make sure you read the NOTE at Step three.

2) If Using a USB Pen drive on a PC with a UEFI BIOS.
USB Pen drive need to be formatted to FAT32 as in
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows
Take note of Step 11 for Windows 7.
Also you will need to use a USB 2.0 port, as there are no USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #5

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrayGhost2 View Post
I want to replace Win8 Pro x64 on Dell laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64
Windows 7 DVD is a "Dell" DVD supplied with the Dell laptop.
There is no Win8 DVD

I have been tweaking MS OS since Win95, Win98, WinXP, Windows 7. Writing AutoCad and Excel addins, scripting ... but never installed an OS
I am the original village idiot. Have never installed an OS in my life.
So I would appreciate gentle humoring and micro step instructions.

Have started to read An Old School Geek’s approach to Installing & Setting Up a Windows PC ... all beyond me.

I would like to be well prepared before I do anything

Do I need to get any other drivers ?

What do I do and where do I start?

I would appreciate any help, thak you
-----
PC Specs
Dell Inspiron 15 3521
Service Tag:=
Express Service Code:=
Screen size:= 15.6 inches
CPU:= Intel Pentium, 2007U @ 1.80GHz
RAM:= 2GB (1.87GB)
Disk drive:= 285 GB HDD -- Hitachi HTS545032A7E380
DVD/CD drive:= Matshita DVD+RW UJ8C2
Current OS:= Win8 Pro x64 -- preloaded on the Dell laptop -- to be replaced with Win 7
Proposed OS:= Windows 7 Pro x64 -- Dell Reinstallation DVD
Single user, ie, Admin/User only
Hi GrayGhost2,

I believe most of the information that you would need has been already shared in the post. However, still want to add this article which is specific for dell systems which might be useful for you:

http://dell.to/11wZYxW

Also, please remove the service tag from your post as if it would be required we would ask you the same on a private message only.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrayGhost2
I want to replace Win8 Pro x64 on Dell laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64
Windows 7 DVD is a "Dell" DVD supplied with the Dell laptop.
There is no Win8 DVD

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd
As this apparently came with Windows 8, the Win 7 DVD I assume came from another Dell. "Legally" the OEM Operating System supplied with a new PC is only licensed for the system it was delivered with.

The Windows 7 install would be Legal ,as the downgrade rights use the OEM factory OEM-SLP activation method Product Key.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MICROSOFT
Can I downgrade the software?
Instead of using the Windows 8 Pro software, you may use one of the following earlier versions: Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business.

This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that come with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with Windows 8 Pro. To enable downgrade on this computer to Windows 7, you must change the settings to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed back to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro will install; however, the following Windows 8 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on UEFI mode boot:
OEM manufacturer to supply downgrade rights Vista/Windows 7 Install DVD's.

Pro Licenses.zip


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrayGhost2
I want to replace Win8 Pro x64 on Dell laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64
Windows 7 DVD is a "Dell" DVD supplied with the Dell laptop.
There is no Win8 DVD

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
What Dell Windows 7 disk was provided for that PC? If they provided you one with a Product Key then you have downgrade rights, so go ahead and disable LEgacy BIOS to install Windows 7 in UEFI or Legacy mode, deleting all partitions during the booted install.
No Product Key needed.


The Windows 7 install would be Legal ,as the downgrade rights use the OEM factory OEM-SLP activation method Product Key.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MICROSOFT
Can I downgrade the software?
Instead of using the Windows 8 Pro software, you may use one of the following earlier versions: Windows 7 Professional or Windows Vista Business.

This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that come with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with Windows 8 Pro. To enable downgrade on this computer to Windows 7, you must change the settings to boot into legacy BIOS mode. If the BIOS setting is not changed back to native UEFI mode boot prior to installing Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8 Pro will install; however, the following Windows 8 Pro functionalities will not work as they rely on UEFI mode boot:
OEM manufacturer to supply downgrade rights Vista/Windows 7 Install DVD's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2013   #8
Microsoft MVP

 

Nice, Ray. Thanks for the catch.

Too bad it's only for Pro version. They wouldn't be in such a fix if it was for all consumers with desktops or laptops.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2013   #9

XP/7x32-x64/8x64
 
 

Thank you "Pauly" for your response.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pauly
The critical part is having your networking drivers (LAN/wireless) before you start
Heres the page
http://www.dell.com/support/troubles...spiron-15-3521
The Dell belongs to my 42yr old daughter. Guess that make me a dinosaur.
She thinks I am clever because I keep my 6 work PCs alive.
Little does she know it is all smoke, mirrors, testosterone, one PC with net connection ... and ... sevenforums.com

According to Dell "Drivers and Downloads for Inspiron 15 3521" I am locked into 64 bit Windows.
Would that be correct?
So 32-bit Windows 7 would be out?
Windows 7 Home Premium -- OK ?

Edit:- Just realised must use Win x64 if drivers are 64bit
-----
I phoned Dell support today to find out if the Dell "Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 x64" would successfully slip into place. After 5 frustrating hours, 6 phone calls + 5 emails I was told the motherboard is hard coded with the product code for Win8 and that I might have problems registering Windows 7.
Dell suggestion was to buy Windows 7 OEM and install it.
I have lost a day and then some, on extracting blood out of the Dell stone. It is simpler to buy Windows 7 OEM and get on with it.

Dell tech advised ...

Intel Chipset Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Realtek Card Reader Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Wireless 1703/1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver
- I assume LAN is included with the WiFi driver ... ??
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Graphics Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Synaptics Touchpad Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Quickset Application
Driver Details | Dell US
Realtek Audio High-Definition Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Inspiron 3521 System BIOS
Driver Details | Dell US

Is "Dell Quickset Application" really necessary, I am trying to avoid crapware "bloat" ?

Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Sep 2013   #10

Winndows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GrayGhost2 View Post
Thank you "Pauly" for your response.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pauly
The critical part is having your networking drivers (LAN/wireless) before you start
Heres the page
http://www.dell.com/support/troubles...spiron-15-3521
The Dell belongs to my 42yr old daughter. Guess that make me a dinosaur.
She thinks I am clever because I keep my 6 work PCs alive.
Little does she know it is all smoke, mirrors, testosterone, one PC with net connection ... and ... sevenforums.com

According to Dell "Drivers and Downloads for Inspiron 15 3521" I am locked into 64 bit Windows.
Would that be correct?
So 32-bit Windows 7 would be out?
Windows 7 Home Premium -- OK ?

Edit:- Just realised must use Win x64 if drivers are 64bit
-----
I phoned Dell support today to find out if the Dell "Reinstallation DVD Windows 7 x64" would successfully slip into place. After 5 frustrating hours, 6 phone calls + 5 emails I was told the motherboard is hard coded with the product code for Win8 and that I might have problems registering Windows 7.
Dell suggestion was to buy Windows 7 OEM and install it.
I have lost a day and then some, on extracting blood out of the Dell stone. It is simpler to buy Windows 7 OEM and get on with it.

Dell tech advised ...

Intel Chipset Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Management Engine Interface Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Realtek Card Reader Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Wireless 1703/1705 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver
- I assume LAN is included with the WiFi driver ... ??
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Graphics Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Synaptics Touchpad Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Quickset Application
Driver Details | Dell US
Realtek Audio High-Definition Driver
Driver Details | Dell US
Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor Software
Driver Details | Dell US
Dell Inspiron 3521 System BIOS
Driver Details | Dell US

Is "Dell Quickset Application" really necessary, I am trying to avoid crapware "bloat" ?

Regards
Hi GrayGhost2,

Thanks for your reply. I regret for the inconvenience that had been caused to you to downgrade to Windows 7.

You should be able to downgrade to any of the versions whether 32 bit of 64 bit. Please check this link below where you can find the drivers for the same:

3521 drivers

Please let me know what issue you faced while installing Windows 7 on the system. As I have come across alot of customers who not only installed windows 7 but even was able to install XP and drivers on system shipped with Windows 8.

If required I might be able to send out the disk as well for you if you have not yet received the same yet.

If you have already purchased an OEM disc then you can follow then follow the steps in this link below:

Clean Install Windows 7

Keep us posted with the results so we can advise you further.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Downgrade Dell Win8 pro to Win7 Pro with Dell DVD




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33