Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Operating System...


24 Sep 2013   #1

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 
Installing Operating System...

I have a small business where I provide home computer service . In my service I include Windows Installation . I know for a fact it's really risky installing an ISO version of Windows activated , but how risky is it because I guarantee most computer service use ISO versions of Windows. To this day I always followed the rules and told clients the CD is recommended. What are your thoughts, should I continue with the same rules. I need your advice!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Sep 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

MS Business Guide.

Old Version:
http://www.pcarenahungary.com/files/...sing_Guide.pdf

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Microsoft
A new Windows license is not required for a refurbished PC that has:

(1) a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows operating system affixed to the PC, and
(2) the original recovery media or hard-disk based recovery image associated with the PC.

The COA constitutes proof that the PC is licensed for the version of Windows named on the COA and the
refurbisher can use either:

(1) the original recovery media or
(2) the original hard-disk based recovery image to re-install the operating system software named on the COA.
If the refurbisher does not have the original recovery media, they may be able to obtain the recovery media from
the original manufacturer of that PC.
A new Windows license is required for a refurbished PC if:
(1) the refurbisher cannot obtain the original recovery media or
(2) the PC does not have a hard-disk based recovery image.
Then, the refurbisher must purchase a new license in order to deliver a genuine Windows operating system
experience with the refurbished PC.



New Version:
Registered Refurbisher FAQ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2013   #3

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
MS Business Guide.

Old Version:
http://www.pcarenahungary.com/files/...sing_Guide.pdf

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Microsoft
A new Windows license is not required for a refurbished PC that has:

(1) a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows operating system affixed to the PC, and
(2) the original recovery media or hard-disk based recovery image associated with the PC.

The COA constitutes proof that the PC is licensed for the version of Windows named on the COA and the
refurbisher can use either:

(1) the original recovery media or
(2) the original hard-disk based recovery image to re-install the operating system software named on the COA.
If the refurbisher does not have the original recovery media, they may be able to obtain the recovery media from
the original manufacturer of that PC.
A new Windows license is required for a refurbished PC if:
(1) the refurbisher cannot obtain the original recovery media or
(2) the PC does not have a hard-disk based recovery image.
Then, the refurbisher must purchase a new license in order to deliver a genuine Windows operating system
experience with the refurbished PC.



New Version:
Registered Refurbisher FAQ

I want your thoughts and opinions lol.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Sep 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

I have seen small business's closed down by MS for not keeping to the rules.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2013   #5

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
I have seen small business's closed down by MS for not keeping to the rules.
Keep them coming , this is interesting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Please explain better what you are asking.

Are you reinstalling a customer's licensed OS, or selling them the OS you're installing for them?

What is the question exactly?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #7

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please explain better what you are asking.

Are you reinstalling a customer's licensed OS, or selling them the OS you're installing for them?

What is the question exactly?

None , I am just asking if it's risky installing a ISO Version of Windows on Clients Laptop. I decided to take the safe route .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #8

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

An ISO is not a 'version'; it is just a method of delivery. The real question should be which Windows license do you provide to your clients, if any.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #9

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Teerex View Post
An ISO is not a 'version'; it is just a method of delivery. The real question should be which Windows license do you provide to your clients, if any.
Yeah none , I am going to continue following the rules.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #10

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

If you leave it to them to activate it somehow, I think YOU are in the clear, though I'm not completely sure, as Windows installation is not supposed to be provided as a service without licensing it in any way. But there is a trial period for any Windows SKU, so....

If your clients already possess a valid Windows license and you just apply it - it is all OK.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Operating System...




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Installing Operating System...
Thread Forum
What is the best operating system for my pc? General Discussion
Operating system General Discussion
Re-installing an operating system on a laptop using an ext. monitor? Chillout Room
Missing operating system" error massage when system starts General Discussion
Operating System Help General Discussion
operating system not found in system recovery Backup and Restore
Keep One Operating System General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33