Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: install says my product key is invalid


22 Oct 2009   #1

almost windows 7
 
 
install says my product key is invalid

im trying to install Windows 7 64 bit Pro that I downloaded using the student offer. I received my product key through the confirmation email. I carefully entered it into windows 7 setup, which caused it to process this for about 10 seconds, only to say that my product key is invalid. I have double and triple checked to make sure i entered it correctly. I did. Now what? Thanks...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Oct 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by giantenemycrab View Post
im trying to install Windows 7 64 bit Pro that I downloaded using the student offer. I received my product key through the confirmation email. I carefully entered it into windows 7 setup, which caused it to process this for about 10 seconds, only to say that my product key is invalid. I have double and triple checked to make sure i entered it correctly. I did. Now what? Thanks...

did yu do a clean install or upgrade? what was the version of the OS on there before? Ie if you had vista on there before was pro like the win 7 you purchased?

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #3

almost windows 7
 
 

I did a clean install. I had XP Pro 32-bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

do you have the full product or the upgrade?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #5

almost windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
do you have the full product or the upgrade?
The upgrade. Again, this was the student offer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by giantenemycrab View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
do you have the full product or the upgrade?
The upgrade. Again, this was the student offer.
Did you run the upgrade from within XP, or did you boot from the DVD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #7

Mac OS X Leopard, Windows 7 RC 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

I'm having the same problem... I did a clean install using the upgrade disc and it doesn't*take my product key... I had the RC installed before and I'm trying to use my Windows XP Home-Edition key to upgrade...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #8

almost windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by giantenemycrab View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
do you have the full product or the upgrade?
The upgrade. Again, this was the student offer.
Did you run the upgrade from within XP, or did you boot from the DVD?
Tried to install from XP, didn't work. I figured it was because it was a x64 Windows 7 install over a x86 XP. Then I tried to boot from the DVD. It worked but when it wants the product key, I enter it and it says it isn't valid.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #9

almost windows 7
 
 

OK! I got it to work. What I did was deselected "automatically activate windows when I'm online", which let me get passed the product key screen. Once I was able to get to the desktop, I then tried activating my version of windows. This time, it took my key and is now working flawlessly. Thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #10

Mac OS X Leopard, Windows 7 RC 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by giantenemycrab View Post
OK! I got it to work. What I did was deselected "automatically activate windows when I'm online", which let me get passed the product key screen. Once I was able to get to the desktop, I then tried activating my version of windows. This time, it took my key and is now working flawlessly. Thanks for the help.
I did the same thing but it still doesn't take my key...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 install says my product key is invalid




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: install says my product key is invalid
Thread Forum
Solved Win 7 OEM Product key invalid Windows Updates & Activation
please help. Product key invalid Windows Updates & Activation
Invalid Product Key?! Installation & Setup
Invalid product key Windows Updates & Activation
Product Key invalid??? Installation & Setup
Invalid product key Installation & Setup
Invalid product key Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33