Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with DVD drive after installation


24 Oct 2009   #1

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
Problem with DVD drive after installation

So last night I did a fresh install on my machine from the evaluation copy of Ultimate Windows 7 to my purchased copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (both 64 bit).

After the install I have a problem with my DVD drive, it recognises audio CD's and CD-Rom's but it does not recognise that there is even a disk in the drive if its a DVD.

Honestly I am a bit of a noob when it comes to computers so am at a loss why this would happen, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2009   #2

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

You installed Windows using that same drive correct? And your Windows installation media is a DVD?

What is the make and model number of the DVD drive?

Can you go to "My Computer" and Explore the drive after you put a DVD in it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #3

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sup3rsprt View Post
You installed Windows using that same drive correct? And your Windows installation media is a DVD?

What is the make and model number of the DVD drive?

Can you go to "My Computer" and Explore the drive after you put a DVD in it?
Yes I installed via that drive.

Not sure about the model but its an LG and it says Super Multi on the front, properties from clicking it are HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N ATA Device.

No when I goto my computer to explore the DVD it gives me a message saying insert a disk and opens the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Oct 2009   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Try re-installing the driver, or check for a new driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #5

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Will try that now thanks for the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #6

XP, Seven, 2008R2
 
 

The driver for DVD drive should be included with 7.

You may need to go into the device manager and uninstall it, then reboot and let Windows redetect it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I updated the firmware for mine before I started the change over to 7 and had 0 problems. You may need to do that also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #8

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Ok so I downloaded the driver from LG and installed that did not help, I then deleted it from the device manager and let it reboot to find it again that has not worked either.

Thanks for the help thus far anymore suggestions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattP View Post
Ok so I downloaded the driver from LG and installed that did not help, I then deleted it from the device manager and let it reboot to find it again that has not worked either.

Thanks for the help thus far anymore suggestions?
How is the drive connected? SATA/IDE?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #10

Win7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MattP View Post
Ok so I downloaded the driver from LG and installed that did not help, I then deleted it from the device manager and let it reboot to find it again that has not worked either.

Thanks for the help thus far anymore suggestions?
How is the drive connected? SATA/IDE?
Honestly I have no clue, how would I find that out?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with DVD drive after installation




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Problem with DVD drive after installation
Thread Forum
cd drive installation problem Hardware & Devices
New/Old Hard Drive Installation Problem Hardware & Devices
Help, Big installation problem, 11th time installation fail Installation & Setup
installation and un installation problem in skype Software
Mapped Drive Installation Problem! Network & Sharing
problem with installation on scsi drive Installation & Setup
windows 7 freezes up in installation drive problem HELP Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33