Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: "A required CD/DVD Device driver is missing" Error

24 Oct 2009   #1

XP SP3, switching to Windows 7
 
 
"A required CD/DVD Device driver is missing" Error

I am trying to install Windows 7 64 bit from XP SP3, and I get to the ready to install page and I get an error that says it needs DVD/CD drive drivers. I could not find any for this and I can't move forward unless I find them. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. DH-20A4P-04 is the model number again.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64
 
 

It doesn't look like you are running a raid, do you have that turned off in the bios?

Is you DVD a SATA drive and is it plugged into the normal controller?

I don't think it is related, but if you have "PnP OS installed" in the bios or vice versa, you might try the other selection.

Are there any bios upgrades?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2009   #3

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

We had a user last night that had problems with 2 different DVD drives that would not work similar to this problem. He borrowed a newer one from a friend & it installed just fine. So this DVD problem seems to be a Trial & Error thing just the past few days with the public release of Windows 7

" Doc "
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Oct 2009   #4

XP SP3, switching to Windows 7
 
 

I'm not quite sure how the BIOS are set up on this computer, a friend of mine did that for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thecakeisalie View Post
I'm not quite sure how the BIOS are set up on this computer, a friend of mine did that for me.
Hello and welcome to Windows 7 Forum!
I had a similar issue with the RTM version.
We need some details to provide further support.
  • Are you able to access your bios settings?
  • Are you using an ISO img?
  • Are you using a disk to do the installation?
  • Do you have access to a 4 gig flash memory stick?
Come back with the information requested and we will proceed with a resolution of your issue.

Regards,
Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #6

XP SP3, switching to Windows 7
 
 

  • Are you able to access your bios settings?
  • Are you using an ISO img?
  • Are you using a disk to do the installation?
  • Do you have access to a 4 gig flash memory stick?
1. Yes I can access them, just not at the moment.
2. I am using the disk Newegg sent me from Microsoft.
3. Yes, I am using a disk
4. No, my flash drive is 1gb, but I have a 320 GB external hard drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #7

 

WE NEED TO REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS IN THE BIOS:
  1. Review the settings for the dvd storage device, if they are not set to SATA connection please change to SATA
  2. Review the storage configuration, if it is set to AHCI change to IDE, F-10 save and exit, re-install. If the DVD driver issue appears again during the install then we must use upgrade option on the disk.
Report back for further support.

Regards,
Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #8

XP SP3, switching to Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
WE NEED TO REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS IN THE BIOS:
  1. Review the settings for the dvd storage device, if they are not set to SATA connection please change to SATA
  2. Review the storage configuration, if it is set to AHCI change to IDE, F-10 save and exit, re-install. If the DVD driver issue appears again during the install then we must use upgrade option on the disk.
Report back for further support.

Regards,
Adrian
Thank you. When I get back to my home I will try to do this, do I do them both? Or should I try one, then try installing, then try the other? If this doesn't work should I buy a 4gb flash drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #9

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thecakeisalie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
WE NEED TO REVIEW/CHANGE THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS IN THE BIOS:
  1. Review the settings for the dvd storage device, if they are not set to SATA connection please change to SATA
  2. Review the storage configuration, if it is set to AHCI change to IDE, F-10 save and exit, re-install. If the DVD driver issue appears again during the install then we must use upgrade option on the disk.
Report back for further support.

Regards,
Adrian
Thank you. When I get back to my home I will try to do this, do I do them both? Or should I try one, then try installing, then try the other? If this doesn't work should I buy a 4gb flash drive?
Try both settings first.
Lets try the settings first b4 you shell out any hard earned cash

Regards,
Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by thecakeisalie View Post
I am trying to install Windows 7 64 bit from XP SP3, and I get to the ready to install page and I get an error that says it needs DVD/CD drive drivers. I could not find any for this and I can't move forward unless I find them. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. DH-20A4P-04 is the model number again.

Boot from the Upgrade disk and install to a formatted HDD using Custom>Advance Tools. This is a much cleaner install and seems to often solve the missing optical driver issue.

Doing a Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 "A required CD/DVD Device driver is missing" Error




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33