Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Reformat gone bad - please help

10 Jan 2014   #41
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

It could be that I'm not familiar with the terminology when you say 'wireless switch' but whenever I go to Network and sharing center>Change Adapter Settings, I have the option of choosing LOCAL AREA CONNECTION or WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 2. I have tried several times already connecting to the wireless connection 2 and it keeps failing to identify. One difference I've noticed is that before I formatted my drive and broke internet connection I wanna say I was connected to WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION 1. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also, we switched from a regular cable box to a Tivo cable box a few weeks ago and so it also works off of my router which is also provided by my cable company. I'm not sure if that could be causing a conflict.

I'm well aware of the troubleshooter and I have tried that several times. All I keep getting is this same message that I should investigate router or modem issues, unplug device, reset device, etc.

I read the clean install tutorial. Did I follow it? No, because I had already reformatted my pc and lost internet connection and was staring at a black screen of death so I wasn't even sure my pc would install Windows 7 again. I finally managed to get Windows 7 installed but now have no internet connection. I have since registered here and sought the advice of you fine people. I have asked you all more than once if I should start over and no one has answered. Unless fussing at me for not doing the clean install in the first place is your idea of asking me to start over. Yes, this is very annoying when I am accused of ignoring help and being irresponsible when I asked more than once if I should start over. I'm not sure why you have an attitude, but I'm willing to try whatever you suggest within reason.

If I am so irresponsible please tell me which steps I supposedly skipped and I will be happy to retrace my steps.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Jan 2014   #42
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

I've just tried disconnecting my wifi connection on my mobile phone and reentering the passkey and it reconnected to the network with no problem whatsoever. That tells me the router is acting as it should. Also, on the site where I downloaded this version of Windows 7 there were a few people complaining that they had no internet connection. They seemed to think they were missing important internet drivers. I'm not sure if I am having a driver issue or not. Before I went to bed last night I restored my backup which was an image of drive c prior to reformatting it. I assumed that might download whatever drivers I am missing. I don't know what else to do except for maybe find a different version of Windows 7 to download and start over. Thoughts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #43
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
I've just tried disconnecting my wifi connection on my mobile phone and reentering the passkey and it reconnected to the network with no problem whatsoever. That tells me the router is acting as it should. Also, on the site where I downloaded this version of Windows 7 there were a few people complaining that they had no internet connection. They seemed to think they were missing important internet drivers. I'm not sure if I am having a driver issue or not. Before I went to bed last night I restored my backup which was an image of drive c prior to reformatting it. I assumed that might download whatever drivers I am missing. I don't know what else to do except for maybe find a different version of Windows 7 to download and start over. Thoughts?
I would download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jan 2014   #44
arayfo1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
I've just tried disconnecting my wifi connection on my mobile phone and reentering the passkey and it reconnected to the network with no problem whatsoever. That tells me the router is acting as it should. Also, on the site where I downloaded this version of Windows 7 there were a few people complaining that they had no internet connection. They seemed to think they were missing important internet drivers. I'm not sure if I am having a driver issue or not. Before I went to bed last night I restored my backup which was an image of drive c prior to reformatting it. I assumed that might download whatever drivers I am missing. I don't know what else to do except for maybe find a different version of Windows 7 to download and start over. Thoughts?
I would download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
Where would you download yours at, theog?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #45
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
I've just tried disconnecting my wifi connection on my mobile phone and reentering the passkey and it reconnected to the network with no problem whatsoever. That tells me the router is acting as it should. Also, on the site where I downloaded this version of Windows 7 there were a few people complaining that they had no internet connection. They seemed to think they were missing important internet drivers. I'm not sure if I am having a driver issue or not. Before I went to bed last night I restored my backup which was an image of drive c prior to reformatting it. I assumed that might download whatever drivers I am missing. I don't know what else to do except for maybe find a different version of Windows 7 to download and start over. Thoughts?
I would download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
Where would you download yours at, theog?
Start at Post one & Click on all links (in BLUE) in each post & you will find a link to download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #46
kathy025

Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64 (OEM)
 
 

Hi arayfo1,

From a clean slate, here is a general outline of what you should do:

1) Leave Acer Aspire M3202 for a while and transfer to a PC with internet.

2) Prepare all prerequisites for the clean install using the other PC:
  • Download your appropriate ISO of Windows 7 here. (Ctrl+F USA)
  • Download all Windows 7 drivers for Acer Aspire M3202 from official website.
  • Buy several blank DVDs.
  • Burn Windows 7 ISO to a DVD (as image). Here are several freeware for the task. ImgBurn or InfraRecorder is recommended.
  • Burn drivers to another DVD (as data disc). A USB stick will do, but it is good to keep a copy of drivers on a disc.
3) Go back to Acer Aspire M3202.
  • Access your BIOS. For Acer, try spamming F2 or DEL during restart.
  • Set FIRST boot priority to your DVD drive. Search around your BIOS for this.
  • Mount your Windows 7 DVD on your DVD tray.
  • Save changes made to BIOS and exit.
  • Wait for the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD...
  • Begin Windows 7 installation. If one can read, one can install.
  • Mount driver disc and install downloaded drivers.
USBs nowadays can do pretty much what DVDs can, but if it is causing you trouble, try another route. Also, clean installing from a CD/DVD has always worked with much success since the dawn of the ages. I had just clean installed using my Windows 7 Pro OEM DVD.

Now from what I understand, you originally had Vista and then got a Windows 7 upgrade disc? If so, make sure you clarify with our other friendly members about these 2 important points:
(a) Can an upgrade disc be used for a clean install?
(b) Can the upgrade key be used for the Windows 7 retail ISO downloaded?


I am personally quite doubtful with (a).

Anyway, the Windows 7 DVD you burned earlier is a full retail install disc. You have 30 days before M$ nags you to activate it.

Keep us posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #47
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Yes, you should start over

You should follow the tutorial step-by-step

You should fill the system specs on your forum profile - manually
This tutorial will show you waht members are looking to see, but since you don't have internet on that machine, you'll have to run the tool and type in the information: System Info - See Your System Specs

You should take help offered, act on it and provide good feedback. I answered your inquiry regarding where to get Acer drivers here: Need help locating Acer Drivers

It is also very annoying to volunteer help to someone and have that person complain after not following advice given.

I understand some things are more technical than some people can comprehend, but I've never seen members not take the time to explain.

Your last sentence in post 41 is what drives members bonkers:
If I am so irresponsible please tell me which steps I supposedly skipped and I will be happy to retrace my steps.

There is no way anyone but you can tell what steps you skipped.

So here's my advice.

Start over,
follow this tutorial step-by-step, Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
ask about the step if you do not understand, provide screenshots so members can better understand what you're asking and how to proceed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #48
gregrocker

 

I've never seen the Network troubleshooter be wrong when it identifies the router as the cause of connection failures. This normally requires resetting the router. I would power off both modem and router for 1 minute, then turn back on the modem until it lights up normally, followed by the router. Try connecting again.

If this fails plug in the cable which should not have these problems, run the troubleshooter again.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
I just registered to this forum last night so I didn't know about any specific steps prior to getting myself in this mess and I didn't report back to you about the system tray because that is common knowledge and thought it's maybe better to focus on what I don't know. Also, I'm not sure which tutorial it was but the one clean install tutorial didn't offer a download for my specific computer so naturally I had to look for a download by other means. And I really don't think I should have to apologize to anyone for being a noob, and it should be obvious I don't know what I'm doing.
The official MS downloads for every version is in Step 1 of Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. If you were unsure which download you only needed to ask back. I was online at the time and anyone else here would have been able to point you to it, too.

Which version did you use exactly? It should be this based on your meager specs posted: Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 English Official ISO download. Burn it to disk or flash stick with the tool in Step 2 of Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 then work through those steps which are the same for retail. Those who work with us get the best installs in the world.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #49
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Download here
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 U (media refresh) X17-58997.iso

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
Where would you download yours at, theog?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2014   #50
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by arayfo1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theog View Post

I would download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
Where would you download yours at, theog?
Start at Post one & Click on all links (in BLUE) in each post & you will find a link to download a Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 x64/x32 ISO.
For example:
Click Here: Clean Install Windows 7

Reformat gone bad - please help-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Reformat gone bad - please help




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Well this is new....Cant Reformat
Hi, I was constantly getting Blue screens of death and couldnt even boot up windows after a while of this. I tried booting windows from usb and always got either a BSOD or a black "windows boot manager" screen. Saying something like I had a non reading dvd drive. So I just purchased a...
BSOD Help and Support
Reformat help
I am trying to refomat my gateway laptop, I do not a a disk and overtime I try to burn the reformat imagine to a disk it fails. I cannot restore it either an error pops up. I have tried the boot menu and see where the option to reformat is but its not highlighted and I cannot click it. Is there...
Backup and Restore
There MUST be a way! EFS (after reformat)
Brink, a moderator on Vistax64, who I think contributes on here, has given endless amounts of awesome tutorials and workarounds. Kudos for the slipstream how-to. However, this one remains unsolved. I haven't tried his workaround, but am working on this third party app to solve the...
System Security
External crashed asks to reformat cannot reformat
I dont know if this is the right place but sounds right, My wd 1 tb my book has gone weird, yesterday it randomly popped up saying the drive needs to be formatted to be used. It already had 100 gb's worth of files on it. I tried reformating it but it said it failed. Now I cannot even get it to load...
Hardware & Devices
Can't reformat
I am trying to install Win7 64x and I had 2 partitions originally, one system partition with 32x vista and one storage partition. I already backed them up on an external so I want to reformat the current internal drive and install windows 7 64x. In the installation screen, I went to Custom...
Installation & Setup
reformat
need help,how will i reformat my laptop ACER ASPIRE 5332 USING WINDOWS 7?DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. pls. help me:cry:
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App