Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help Needed.


25 Oct 2009   #1

 
 
Help Needed.

Hiya first off, i am so happy to have found a forum like this. It is very much needed.

Big thanks.

Ok i bought windows 7 yesterday and followed the infomation just to upgrade from windows vista to the NEW O.S 7.

Activated the product key and everything is great.

But now What i want to do is have a clean install, as i think it would be better so i can reinstall everything,
and leave things off that i dont want.

I use my computer to create my own music, so i am cluless realy when it comes to thease things.

I read on here how to do a clean install and was in the prossess of doing it!

when i came to selecting the drive to install Windows 7 to and noticed i had 3 drives.



1) Is .... my Slave drive i save all my files,music,pictures,programs,VSTi's,Sample Packs and other important stuff.

2) Is .... My C - Drive

3) Is .... My Recovery



I went to [format C drive ] and it said by doing so things that came with the manafacture settings will be lost.

So i stoped the instalation and needed to find help.

If i had carried on would i have messed up my pc or was i doing it right and the info box that poped up just scared me as i didnt know what i was doing.

Sorry to sound dum.


I also installed the 32.bit cd as you get both 32.bit and 64.bit

And i think i could of infact installed the 64.bit CD instead.



My Computer Info....


Disk Space .... 97.9 GB free space of 143GB

Processor Intel(R)Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80 GHz

Installed memory [RAM] 2.00GB

Vista 32.bit [Home Prem] changed to [Windows 7 Upgrade Home Prem] 32.bit.


Also if i was doing it all right and can install the 64. bit form a clean install

if i ever had to reformat my computer for some reason or other would i still be able to press f10 and go through it like that, or would i haft to use the Windows 7 cd?


Sorry for the so many questions..

Mickey


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

If you do a clean install and you choose to install to C:, you will lose everything on C:, unless you have backed up. You can go to the Microsoft site and download Windows easy transfer. It will allow you to transfer everything except programs and then reinstall after you install the new OS. You must have your original discs, for programs. You cannot transfer them via Easy transfer. You will lose only those items that are on the C: drive.

If your computer meets the requirements for 64 bit, you can install a 64 bit from a clean install.


Good Luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #3

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
If you do a clean install and you choose to install to C:, you will lose everything on C:, unless you have backed up. You can go to the Microsoft site and download Windows easy transfer. It will allow you to transfer everything except programs and then reinstall after you install the new OS. You must have your original discs, for programs. You cannot transfer them via Easy transfer. You will lose only those items that are on the C: drive.

If your computer meets the requirements for 64 bit, you can install a 64 bit from a clean install.


Good Luck.
Cheers thanks for the reply. I have already backed up all the files i want to save to my slave drive. The programs i have installed i do have the original Cd's so happy days. i just didnt want to go a head an do somthing i was very unsure about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hi M1CK3EY & welcome

The pop up message you're probably getting it to notify you that the OEM info could be potentially lost, system files to perform a recovery could also suffer the same fate etc.
If you are happy with this, proceed in the manner you were. It sounds like you had it right.
If you are not, i hand over to somebody more knowledgeable than moi!
You're processor is 64bit compatible (if my memory serves me right!) so yes, providing you clean installed, you can install x64 Windows anytime you like.
if in the future you need to reformat, it's always best to do so with a DVD (the F10 you speak of is probably those manufacturers settings)
Also take note of Brink's signature
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

If I were you and if the items on the slave drive are really important to you, I would invest in a external hard drive and save everything to the hard drive (you can make a copy of the HD). You never really know what can happen when you change an OS>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #6

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rsvr85 View Post
Hi M1CK3EY & welcome

The pop up message you're probably getting it to notify you that the OEM info could be potentially lost, system files to perform a recovery could also suffer the same fate etc.
If you are happy with this, proceed in the manner you were. It sounds like you had it right.
If you are not, i hand over to somebody more knowledgeable than moi!
You're processor is 64bit compatible (if my memory serves me right!) so yes, providing you clean installed, you can install x64 Windows anytime you like.
if in the future you need to reformat, it's always best to do so with a DVD (the F10 you speak of is probably those manufacturers settings)
Also take note of Brink's signature
whoo thanks for the welcome

I am happy, and that reply just made my day. thank you so much for taking the time to reply on my probblem. very much apreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2009   #7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
If I were you and if the items on the slave drive are really important to you, I would invest in a external hard drive and save everything to the hard drive (you can make a copy of the HD). You never really know what can happen when you change an OS>
Good point, i am going to get one, and should of got one ages back. But i am going to save all the stuff on my slave drive to my lappy. I'll just tranfer it over useing my GIG Sticks, that way if something dose mess up on my slave drive i will still have everything . Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help Needed.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Help Needed.
Thread Forum
New PSU needed Hardware & Devices
help needed General Discussion
Help Needed General Discussion
Help needed Drivers
Help needed General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33