Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will this computer have the license key to Windows 7?

20 Mar 2014   #21
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Ray I don't think Win7 would be sold by a legit seller without a COA sticker, nor is it legal. Preinstalled Factory OEM must be backed up by a license represented by COA sticker with Product Key.

Auditing the Product Key has not been discussed here that I've seen, but the preinstalled Product Key cannot be used for reinstall as its merely a batch key.
As the OEM manufacturer is using the downgrade rights, there will only be ONE COA for Windows 8/8.1.

For example my OEM test rig.

DVD 1) Drivers & Utlilties.

DVD 2) Windows 8 x64 DVD.

DVD 3) Windows 7 x64 DVD.

DVD 4) Windows 7 x32 DVD

With one COA.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Mar 2014   #22
gregrocker

 

The difference is that this is coming with Win7 preinstalled and not 8. If the user must provide the Win7 key for using 8 Downgrade rights as it appears in Understanding downgrade rights then it could not be preinstalled as MS does not allow the OS to be sold unless activated. So if 7 is activated as it must be, then there must be a license for Win7 provided.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #23
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

So you`re saying you bought a rig with Windows 7 installed, but they gave you the option to install Windows 8 and they sent you the dvd`s and license for 8, but yet no where on the machine there wasn`t a COA for windows 7 ?

And what brand pc was that ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Mar 2014   #24
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Ray I don't think Win7 would be sold by a legit seller without a COA sticker, nor is it legal. Preinstalled Factory OEM must be backed up by a license represented by COA sticker with Product Key.

Auditing the Product Key has not been discussed here that I've seen, but the preinstalled Product Key cannot be used for reinstall as its merely a batch key.
No need for two COA's as the OEM manufacturer is using the downgrade rights, there will only be ONE COA for Windows 8/8.1.
The Windows 7 Pro install is using factory OEM-SLP activation method Product Key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #25
mmcdonald1986

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

I contacted Toshiba twice. They tell me that Microsoft no longer includes COA stickers for either Windows 7 or Windows 8. I am pretty sure that this is not true. Probably the lady didn't know what she was talking about. But I am not sure how to contact the actual seller (Amazon).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #26
gregrocker

 

There is no COA sticker for Windows 8 since self-activation is now done at the BIOS level.

Win7 always has a COA sticker. Never seen a case where it didn't that was legit.

Can you contact the seller directly? Usually on Amazon there is a link to their store and possible contact, or google their name to find their contact phone number or email. If it is mainline Amazon then call their Customer Service number and ask for them to research and report back. Their Customer Service is very good and capable of doing this.

If you want I will call them for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #28
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mmcdonald1986 View Post
I contacted Toshiba twice. They tell me that Microsoft no longer includes COA stickers for either Windows 7 or Windows 8. I am pretty sure that this is not true. Probably the lady didn't know what she was talking about. But I am not sure how to contact the actual seller (Amazon).
As the OEM manufacturer is using the downgrade rights, there will only be ONE COA for Windows 8/8.1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #29
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Win7 always has a COA sticker. Never seen a case where it didn't that was legit.

No need for two COA's as the OEM manufacturer is using the downgrade rights, there will only be ONE COA for Windows 8/8.1 Pro.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Mar 2014   #30
mmcdonald1986

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
There is no COA sticker for Windows 8 since self-activation is now done at the BIOS level.

Win7 always has a COA sticker. Never seen a case where it didn't that was legit.

Can you contact the seller directly? Usually on Amazon there is a link to their store and possible contact, or google their name to find their contact phone number or email. If it is mainline Amazon then call their Customer Service number and ask for them to research and report back. Their Customer Service is very good and capable of doing this.

If you want I will call them for you.
The seller IS mainline Amazon. You can call them if you want, you would probably be able to ASK better questions than I could, since I am not completely familiar with terms, words, legal info, etc. Otherwise I might try to give them a call sometime in the future when I get a chance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will this computer have the license key to Windows 7?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can I use license key with brand label on other computer
First of all hello, im new here, and second sorry for my terrible English grammar :p I have a Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium Dell (not oem, but with dell brand name on it) license and label. My laptop died, and i bought new custom pc, witouth any license, can i use my old dell...
Installation & Setup
Buy a lot of license for Windows
Where can I buy a lot of license of Windows 7 or Windows 8? If I buy a lot of license I suppouse that price will be much cheaper.
Windows Updates & Activation
Text to Speech:"Sorry but your license is not valid for this computer"
Hi guys. Tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything about it. So, I bought a notebook computer that came with Windows 7. It comes from a reputable store, so I have no reason to believe that there would be anything wrong or invalid about either the computer or Windows. Everything seems...
General Discussion
Cloning Windows 7 OEM with 2nd license code onto a new computer?
Is it possible to clone an existing Windows 7 pro OEM registered harddrive onto a different new computer, then just change the product key using the 2nd new OEM license code? Am hoping for an alternative to reinstalling everything new again plus our local computer shop has closed down where the...
Installation & Setup
Computer Broke - Windows 7 license on other computer?..
Hello! I bought and installed windows 7 on my laptop and it was activated.. The laptop broke when I dropped it (hardware failure) and I'm wondering if I can use the same windows 7 license on my other laptop?
Windows Updates & Activation
Upgrading to a new computer, moving 7 license
I bought the family 3-pack of upgrade licenses. Suppose I upgrade 3 machines in my house to win7, and then at some point down the road, buy a new computer to replace one of my household machines. Will I be able to "move" one of these 3 licenses to the new machine?
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App