Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: W7 install - partition query (long)


28 Oct 2009   #1

Vista Ultimate 64bit
 
 
W7 install - partition query (long)

Hi all,

Last night I installed Windows 7 64bit and all seems well. I want to ask a few questions.

I installed Windows 7 onto a clean/formatted 25GB partition, and it used about 13GB of the space.

I then deleted Vista from the original system partition, and formatted that partition again, and now labeled this partition as "Program Files" (I want to 'install' all of my program files onto this partition). This partition is 30GB.

Finally, the remaining unallocated space, about 408GB, I formatted and labeled "media" (for my iTunes, movies, pictures, etc.

Everything works a-ok, and here are my questions:

1. I noticed that when I installed Windows 7 onto the clean/formatted 25GB "OS" partition, the install disk "created" a new and tiny (100MB) partition (25MB used) called something like "System Reserved." Can someone explain what this tiny partition is, and should I be worried?

2. As per above, I used the old 30GB Vista OS Vista partition (after formatting it), for my "Program Files" partition. I moved over the two "Program Files" and "Program Filesx86" folders from the Windows 7 OS folder/partition to my new "Program Files" partition; I am installing 3rd party apps (firefox, etc.) onto this partition.

Basically, I want to keep as much crap out of the OS Partition as possible. Is this a logical strategy, and can I now delete the "Program Files" and "Program Filessx86" folders from the Windows 7 OS directory?

3. The final partition, about 408GB, has been formatted and is strictly for "media" (space hog) files. Here I put my iTunes library, photos, etc.

So, all in all, I have 4 partitions:

1. "System Reserved" (100MB) - created by install disc;
2. "OS" (25GB) (14GB used) - contains Windows 7
3. "Program Files" (30GB) (2GB used) - contains my program files; and
4. "Media" (408GB) (40GB used) - contains my media files; the disk storage tool calls this partition a "logical drive" and I have no idea what that is but it still seems to work.

Is this above scheme insane or logical?

Finally, I have recently heard of HD imaging in case of HD failure. Can someone lead me to a link or program for doing this?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts this site has been invaluable!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Hi Wallyburd - I'll take a whack at answering your questions

Quote:
1. I noticed that when I installed Windows 7 onto the clean/formatted 25GB "OS" partition, the install disk "created" a new and tiny (100MB) partition (25MB used) called something like "System Reserved." Can someone explain what this tiny partition is, and should I be worried?
Nope - this is normal for the install.

Quote:
2. As per above, I used the old 30GB Vista OS Vista partition (after formatting it), for my "Program Files" partition. I moved over the two "Program Files" and "Program Filesx86" folders from the Windows 7 OS folder/partition to my new "Program Files" partition; I am installing 3rd party apps (firefox, etc.) onto this partition.

Basically, I want to keep as much crap out of the OS Partition as possible. Is this a logical strategy, and can I now delete the "Program Files" and "Program Filessx86" folders from the Windows 7 OS directory?
I'd recommend running it for a bit until you're sure that everything moved OK.


Quote:
3. The final partition, about 408GB, has been formatted and is strictly for "media" (space hog) files. Here I put my iTunes library, photos, etc.

So, all in all, I have 4 partitions:

1. "System Reserved" (100MB) - created by install disc;
2. "OS" (25GB) (14GB used) - contains Windows 7
3. "Program Files" (30GB) (2GB used) - contains my program files; and
4. "Media" (408GB) (40GB used) - contains my media files; the disk storage tool calls this partition a "logical drive" and I have no idea what that is but it still seems to work.

Is this above scheme insane or logical?
Sounds logical to me, and it should continue to work for you.

Quote:
Finally, I have recently heard of HD imaging in case of HD failure. Can someone lead me to a link or program for doing this?
Take a look at this tutorial - Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

(Note that in Step 5 of the tutorial you should only have the OS partition automatically selected. You may not want to backup the big partition all the time.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Oct 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Wally:

Here are a couple of well-regarded imaging programs:

Acronis True Image; available through the standard retail sources. A couple of the major hard drive manufacturers are offering free copies for download. The only catch is that if you want to RESTORE an image after a failure, you MUST restore to a drive made by that manufacturer. Western Digital offers this download and I think Seagate does as well.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition. This is available at no charge direct from Macrium.

The only thing I'd say about imaging is that I think you would be foolish to rely on it to bail you out. It usually works and sometimes doesn't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Oct 2009   #4

Vista Ultimate 64bit
 
 

thanks schaft and igna for the tips;

i still sit here positively astounded at the improvements of Windows 7 compared to how Vista "worked" on my system...i am in a happy place now!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Oct 2009   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Wally:

Here are a couple of well-regarded imaging programs:

Acronis True Image; available through the standard retail sources. A couple of the major hard drive manufacturers are offering free copies for download. The only catch is that if you want to RESTORE an image after a failure, you MUST restore to a drive made by that manufacturer. Western Digital offers this download and I think Seagate does as well.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition. This is available at no charge direct from Macrium.

The only thing I'd say about imaging is that I think you would be foolish to rely on it to bail you out. It usually works and sometimes doesn't.
How do these compare to the new Windows 7 Backup Imaging? It is working fine for me on my computers, where I've created a primary recov partition backed up externally.

The only thing missing is more compression, which I do see in the new Paragon HD manager but it costs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 W7 install - partition query (long)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: W7 install - partition query (long)
Thread Forum
Security Query: Dual Boot with two separate drives vs partition Installation & Setup
Solved Partition wizard query Software
Solved Partition query General Discussion
The 100mb (or was it gb) boot partition - query Installation & Setup
Custom Install Query, 0MB Unallocated? Installation & Setup
Partition Query Performance & Maintenance
Windows7 from XP Pro install query Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33