Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 RC 7100 - uninstall question


29 Oct 2009   #1

Dual boot Win7 Home Premium and Vista Home Premium SP2
 
 
Win 7 RC 7100 - uninstall question

Hi

I had been testing RC7100 on a work PC that I want now to 'revert' back to XP.

This might be a simple thing, but I don't know. I had retained the windows.old files. I had never intended to retain 7 and always thought this PC would go back to XP eventually - and a new requirement for the PC means I need it back to XP asap.

Is there a simple way to remove Windows 7 and re-install XP from those files? I have no 'imaging' software or knowledge.

If someone can at least point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. The PC in question has NO access to the internet at the moment, and won't for a few weeks, but is required sometime soon(er) by a new employee. Yep....WE'RE HIRING!!

Rgds
Rod

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Hi

I had been testing RC7100 on a work PC that I want now to 'revert' back to XP.

This might be a simple thing, but I don't know. I had retained the windows.old files. I had never intended to retain 7 and always thought this PC would go back to XP eventually - and a new requirement for the PC means I need it back to XP asap.

Is there a simple way to remove Windows 7 and re-install XP from those files? I have no 'imaging' software or knowledge.

If someone can at least point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. The PC in question has NO access to the internet at the moment, and won't for a few weeks, but is required sometime soon(er) by a new employee. Yep....WE'RE HIRING!!

Rgds
Rod
Rod

There is only one way to revert unfortunately. Format and clean install. XP doesnt know anything about win 7 boot structure. If you have a backup from XP you could use the XP disk to boot and restore the xp image, agian you would have to have xp format during install.

Good luck with the new Hire

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #3
Microsoft MVP

 

There is a way to roll back to XP using the windows.old file. I saw it on Technet forums last week and will find it for you now. Stand by.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Oct 2009   #4

Dual boot Win7 Home Premium and Vista Home Premium SP2
 
 

No probs, I thought of guessed this would be the case. I have the Restore and original XP O/S discs, and I am up and running installing XP....THIS has been a while since I did this...from memory I upgraded my HOME PC from Win98SE to XP about a decade ago!! But the memory may be awry on that...!

Thanks and regards
Rod
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #5

Dual boot Win7 Home Premium and Vista Home Premium SP2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
There is a way to roll back to XP using the windows.old file. I saw it on Technet forums last week and will find it for you now. Stand by.
Bugga!!!! Too late my man!!!! "Setup is examinig Folders"..."Setup is now deleting files".....

Thanks anyways...it'll be a nice clean install for her!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
There is a way to roll back to XP using the windows.old file. I saw it on Technet forums last week and will find it for you now. Stand by.
Bugga!!!! Too late my man!!!! "Setup is examinig Folders"..."Setup is now deleting files".....

Thanks anyways...it'll be a nice clean install for her!
Yes probably better since the procedure looks complicated:

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Its not nearly as bad as it appears on the surface. I did it about 2 weeks ago to prep my laptop for Windows 7 RTM. its just renaming the Windows 7 files and folders and then renaming and moving the XP files and folders. There was one issue I ran into. the "documents and settings" in RC are actually a Junction and not an actual location.

In step 4 "copy contents or move contents of the windows.old folder"

If you get an access denied attempting command #4:
"move /y "c:\windows.old\documents and settings" c:\

Then use: C: /A and look for <Junction> Documents and Settings [c: \users] IF FOUND then you have to cancel the junction:

dir "Documents and settings"

Now you should be able to do the move.

Good luck with your reversion
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Hi

I had been testing RC7100 on a work PC that I want now to 'revert' back to XP.

This might be a simple thing, but I don't know. I had retained the windows.old files. I had never intended to retain 7 and always thought this PC would go back to XP eventually - and a new requirement for the PC means I need it back to XP asap.

Is there a simple way to remove Windows 7 and re-install XP from those files? I have no 'imaging' software or knowledge.

If someone can at least point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. The PC in question has NO access to the internet at the moment, and won't for a few weeks, but is required sometime soon(er) by a new employee. Yep....WE'RE HIRING!!

Rgds
Rod
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Bugga!!!! Too late my man!!!! "Setup is examinig Folders"..."Setup is now deleting files".....

Thanks anyways...it'll be a nice clean install for her!
Looks like it too late now!

For future reference, there is a good free backup image program.
Macrium Reflect - Free Edition is a disk imaging program that will backup your important files.

It's best to keep your backups on a separate storage device. External HDs are a good choice, large storage space and reasonably priced.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
For future reference, there is a good free backup image program.
Macrium Reflect - Free Edition is a disk imaging program that will backup your important files.

It's best to keep your backups on a separate storage device. External HDs are a good choice, large storage space and reasonably priced.
Dave have you tried Windows 7 Backup Imaging? It's working really well here.
I save the image to a Primary formatted Recovery Partition on each machine, then backup to external in case of HDD failure.

You can select the partitions to save, and reimaging is done using the Windows 7 Installer/Repair Disk's Repair console>Recover Using an Image, flawlessly in about 15 minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 RC 7100 - uninstall question




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Win 7 RC 7100 - uninstall question
Thread Forum
Solved How can I uninstall a program that doesn't appear in Uninstall/change Software
Install/Uninstall Reboot Question Software
Can't Uninstall software from "Uninstall a program", link won't work Software
Windows 7 Uninstall - Install Question Installation & Setup
No SLI in 7100? Graphic Cards
7100 to 7229 question Installation & Setup
It says 7100, but is it? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33