Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?

13 Oct 2014   #1
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?

Hi guys,

I have an HP Pavilion dv6 - 6c01se (AMD Processor)
I recently updated my laptop to Windows 8, but after not liking it much I reverted back to the original and activated Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with the key that came with the laptop. However, since then the laptop has been acting weird and sometimes does not respond at all, it worked beautifully before on Windows 7.

One of my friends has the same laptop though I'm not sure if he has the Intel one or the AMD, but I was thinking if I could use his laptop to create recovery discs and use the to restore my laptop to factory conditions because I screwed up my recovery partition also after the Windows 8 install.

Can I use the recovery discs created from his laptop and use them to restore my laptop and then activate it using my Window's key ?

Thanks !


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Oct 2014   #2
gregrocker

 

The factory install on HP is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have, with the worst load of bloatware in the industry smothering the best OS ever so that you'll never even know what its native performance is like.

What I would do is follow these steps to do a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which is a vastly better install than the factory bloatware install and has been used by a million consumers without a single complaint.

Be sure to read the Special Note for HP Owners at the end. If you can still boot Factory Recovery via F11 then there may be a Minimal Recovery choice which is nearly as good as a Clean Reinstall. If not then I'd delete all partitions during the booted install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2014   #3
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have already tried that, and that's what basically screwed my laptop My HP CoolSense isn't working anymore and the laptop heats up very fast even when it's actually idle. I've tried many different solutions from many places but it didn't work.

SO i was just wondering if getting a recovery from another laptop of the same model would work on mine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Oct 2014   #4
gregrocker

 

You already tried what? I gave you several suggestions. If you tried the Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 then did you install the HP CoolSense software from the HP Support Downloads webpage for your PC model?

Or did you try the F11 Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) | HP® Support choosing Minimal Recovery option?

If you're going to finally seek our help then you'll need to be specific and complete in your answers.

Only if your friend has the exact same laptop model would Recov disks work for your PC. It would also not have the Minimal Recovery option so you'd have all the bloatware. But you can Clean Up Factory Bloatware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2014   #5
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You already tried what? I gave you several suggestions. If you tried the Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 then did you install the HP CoolSense software from the HP Support Downloads webpage for your PC model?

Or did you try the F11 Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) | HP® Support choosing Minimal Recovery option?

If you're going to finally seek our help then you'll need to be specific and complete in your answers.

Only if your friend has the exact same laptop model would Recov disks work for your PC. It would also not have the Minimal Recovery option so you'd have all the bloatware. But you can Clean Up Factory Bloatware
I've tried re-installing Windows 7 using that post, but it didn't make any difference. I've also used the HP CoolSense package from my laptop Driver page. I've tried other versions too. all work similar. It gets installed but when I try to set the HP CoolSense Mode, it just doesnt seem to open to let me change the modes. And also i dont really feel like its actually running, its just there.

While installing Windows 8 on my laptop my recovery drive ran into some problems, and I remember it giving me the harddisk.dll error something. and i tried alot but could never get a solution. So, Once i reinstalled the new Windows 7 again, i formatted the recovery drive and used that partition to make my own system image for later restores.

Yes he has the same exact model, only that im not sure if he has the AMD based motherboard or the Intel based. would that really make a difference ? cant i not later install the AMD drivers ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2014   #6
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Actually the only problem I'm having is with HP Coolsense and because of that my laptop heats up like an oven even when Idle.

I re-installed windows again using the new media (.iso) released by Microsoft last month, and now my laptop is lagging also.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Oct 2014   #7
gregrocker

 

This is why I asked you if you'd followed the steps in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7, particularly as they pertain to drivers which are handled differently than in XP since Win7 is a driver-complete OS which provides the drivers it wants. Only import the drivers missing in Device Manager after all Windows Updates are done.

Then reimport only the HP software you know for sure you need. To decide this I would wait and test the install to see what that you need is missing. Then import the additional software from the HP Downloads page for your model. We can help you do this. Have you found the CoolSense software?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2014   #8
Vistaclient5

win 7,8,10
 
 

Yes I agree with the last post you should visit HP web site and look for the cool sense/ fan driver and download it maybe the model that your friend had didn't include the necessary driver when the backup disk was created. There are partitions on your hard drive so maybe you still can restore its to its factory state if not remove your hard drive and then use it in the computer of your friends then switch back to your that worked for missing hp drivers for me in the past
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2014   #9
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is why I asked you if you'd followed the steps in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7, particularly as they pertain to drivers which are handled differently than in XP since Win7 is a driver-complete OS which provides the drivers it wants. Only import the drivers missing in Device Manager after all Windows Updates are done.

Then reimport only the HP software you know for sure you need. To decide this I would wait and test the install to see what that you need is missing. Then import the additional software from the HP Downloads page for your model. We can help you do this. Have you found the CoolSense software?
So If I'm to completely re-install windows 7 for the 4th time that is I want to delete all partitions and setup my laptop as completely new. Any help on this ? There is a HP_Tools Partition also in my HDD, Is it okay to delete that now since my recovery is no longer there ?

Yes I downloaded the HP CoolSense software package from my laptop downloads page. I installed it, and i can also see it; however, when I click on it to set my HP CoolSense mode it doesn't do anything rather it shows me the ON/Off. (Screenshots Attached)


Attached Thumbnails
Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?-set-mode.png   Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?-no-use.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2014   #10
SaibotXI

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vistaclient5 View Post
Yes I agree with the last post you should visit HP web site and look for the cool sense/ fan driver and download it maybe the model that your friend had didn't include the necessary driver when the backup disk was created. There are partitions on your hard drive so maybe you still can restore its to its factory state if not remove your hard drive and then use it in the computer of your friends then switch back to your that worked for missing hp drivers for me in the past
i didn't yet use his recovery discs or anything. I wanted to know if they will work before trying it to be on the safe side.
I dont have the recovery partition since i deleted it after it got corrupted after my Windows 8 install. Also, I dont wanna remove my hard disk or anything. I just want a software solution because this is a software issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Will a Recovery disc from another laptop work on mine ?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Creating Recovery disc....on upgraded used laptop
In two days, (Jan. 2nd) I am receiving a three year old used HP Pavilion dv7-2173cl Notebook which was upgraded to W7 Pro just prior to shipment. I have never acquired a used laptop. Thus I am cludeless on what to expect about creating recovery discs. Is it possible? If not, what is my...
General Discussion
Questions: UEFI, restore partition, Q:, install disc, recovery disc
Hello world! I just got a new laptop with Win7 64 bit home premium and that's all good that this OS came installed on there and I'm using it, but for my teaching activities I'll need to get into some Linux OS in a multiboot configuration. So I will want to eventually need to be able to fix...
General Discussion
HD crash, no recovery disc, have product code. Do I have to have disc
New HD on the way but DVD drive on functioning computer not working. Will I have to download Win7 to disc or flash drive to install on new HD? I do have the product code.
Installation & Setup
Laptop running startup repair in a loop, no recovery disc
I am having a nightmare with my Dell Latitude E4300 laptop. At the moment it runs a continuous loop of start up repair and will not allow me to even attempt to get into Windows 7 until this has been done. When it runs the test it stops, giving the error message no OS files found on disk. Everytime...
General Discussion
Help with Laptop, ( not mine ).
I am looking for some upgrade advise for two OAPs 20 odd months ago they purchased from PC World a Packard Bell ALP-Ajax C3 laptop. I can find very little information/specs' for this machine. It has never been used, on getting it home they turning it on, it wouldn't. They spoke to...
Hardware & Devices
Linksys WMP110 work on my friend computer but not mine
I have a linksys WMP110 running on a gigabyte M55SLIS4 motherboard every time i try to connect to a wireless connection with the card the OS reboots, But i took the card and installed it on my friend mother running the same release of windows 7 and it worked completely fine no reboot not at all and...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App