Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Install Windows 7 TO external drive?


05 Nov 2009   #11

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Install it as described. Select PLOP from the Windows boot menu. Plop Boot manager appears - select the option to boot from whatever device you want there - from memory, usb is the bottom one on PLOP screen.

K... so this computer doesn't have a CD Rom drive. I guess I will use daemon tools to mount the iso....will try PLOP.

Oh god, I'm completely lost on how to install this.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Nov 2009   #12
Microsoft MVP

 

Can't you copy the install files to the desktop and run them from there? Either overwrite the XP or install to second partition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Can't you copy the install files to the desktop and run them from there? Either overwrite the XP or install to second partition?

I haven't tried this. However, coming from previous XP installs I wouldn't include this as a viable option from experience...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Nov 2009   #14
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atomsk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Can't you copy the install files to the desktop and run them from there? Either overwrite the XP or install to second partition?

I haven't tried this. However, coming from previous XP installs I wouldn't include this as a viable option from experience...
Why? I'm a clean install freak but wouldn't hesitate if in your position to put the install files on my XP desktop and run them to overwrite XP, or to a second partition I'd set up ahead of time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atomsk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Can't you copy the install files to the desktop and run them from there? Either overwrite the XP or install to second partition?

I haven't tried this. However, coming from previous XP installs I wouldn't include this as a viable option from experience...
Why? I'm a clean install freak but wouldn't hesitate if in your position to put the install files on my XP desktop and run them to overwrite XP, or to a second partition I'd set up ahead of time.
Well in the past it's been upgrade or run from setup at boot. I'll try it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #16
Microsoft MVP

 

Choose Custom.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Choose Custom.

worked. to my surprise this worked. love that M$ is thinking like an end user...somewhat lol

thanks ;D now if only i could clear windows explorers history!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #18
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atomsk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Choose Custom.

worked. to my surprise this worked. love that M$ is thinking like an end user...somewhat lol

thanks ;D now if only i could clear windows explorers history!
Windows.old file? Use it to redistribute your files and then delete.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #19

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atomsk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Choose Custom.

worked. to my surprise this worked. love that M$ is thinking like an end user...somewhat lol

thanks ;D now if only i could clear windows explorers history!
Windows.old file? Use it to redistribute your files and then delete.

Not Windows.old. I mean browsing history. Say I go to C:\windows\temp and then close the window. When I open a new explorer window and hit the drop down on the address bar C:\windows\temp will show up as a place I have been to recently.

In Vista with IE8 the moment I cleared IE8's history Windows Explorer's history was cleared as well. That does not seem to be the case in Windows 7. Now I just have a long list of places I've been to on my drives in the address bar drop down that I want to clear....

Oh, and this PLOP thing. Not going to happen. I downloaded the ISO file and mounted it with Daemon tools. The only thing in it was a BOOT folder. That folder contained an image and another file. Nothing to install...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #20

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I installed PLOP without any trouble.

Instructions for XP on the site.

I had to figure it out for Vista/7. Only took a few minutes.

Instructions are right on the site:

Harddisk install using the Windows boot menu (2K, XP and VISTA)

Download the file plpgenbtldr-0.7.zip and extract it.

http://download.plop.at/files/bootmn...nbtldr-0.7.zip

Create a directory like c:\plop. You can use any directory you want.

Copy plpinstc.com and plpgenbtldr.exe to your c:\plop directory

Rename plpinstc.com to plpbt.bin.

As administrator/with administrator rights open a command shell and change to c:\plop

Then start plpgenbtldr

This program searches for the file plpbt.bin In the current directory.
plpgenbtldr generates the file plpbtldr.bin.

Adding to the boot menu. Windows 2K and XP :

add the line below to your c:\boot.ini

c:\plop\plpbtldr.bin="Install PLoP Boot Manager"


For Vista/7 add it to bcd the same as you would add ntldr.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Install Windows 7 TO external drive?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33