Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Install Windows 7 TO external drive?

06 Nov 2009   #21
atomsk

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
I installed PLOP without any trouble.

Instructions for XP on the site.

I had to figure it out for Vista/7. Only took a few minutes.

Instructions are right on the site:

Harddisk install using the Windows boot menu (2K, XP and VISTA)

Download the file plpgenbtldr-0.7.zip and extract it.

http://download.plop.at/files/bootmn...nbtldr-0.7.zip

Create a directory like c:\plop. You can use any directory you want.

Copy plpinstc.com and plpgenbtldr.exe to your c:\plop directory

Rename plpinstc.com to plpbt.bin.

As administrator/with administrator rights open a command shell and change to c:\plop

Then start plpgenbtldr

This program searches for the file plpbt.bin In the current directory.
plpgenbtldr generates the file plpbtldr.bin.

Adding to the boot menu. Windows 2K and XP :

add the line below to your c:\boot.ini

c:\plop\plpbtldr.bin="Install PLoP Boot Manager"


For Vista/7 add it to bcd the same as you would add ntldr.

Thanks. I was going to make a comment about how you simply stating that it installed fine for you wasn't really helpful. lol Anyway, I don't like how that site is put together. It seems broad, generalized, and all over the place.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Nov 2009   #22
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Try it - see if the boot from usb feature works for you.

I see you watching Greg - are you going to give it a go?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #23
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

I just ignore the URL bar's history unless it gives me an autocomplete to grab.

What I like a lot is the history in the Favorites bar where I can quickly revisit sites in order I visited today, or past days, or by site, using tabs other then my Favorites.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Nov 2009   #24
atomsk

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Try it - see if the boot from usb feature works for you.

I see you watching Greg - are you going to give it a go?

The last bit has me confused. In the 1README file is this:

Code:
4.2) Windows VISTA
    run notepad as administrator
    create a file c:\boot.ini and add the following lines

[boot loader]
[operating systems]
c:\plop\plpbtldr.bin="PLoP Boot Manager"
But you say to add the line to bcd? Should I edit bcd in Notepad and place the line e:\plop\plpbtldr.bin="Install PLoP Boot Manager" in there somewhere?

Placing that line somewhere is the last thing to do...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #25
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

That didn't work for me.

That's what I meant by I had to figure it out.

Just add plpbtldr.bin to bcd like you would ntldr.

Ignore the boot.ini bit for Vista/7 - unless you want 2 entries popping up on the boot menu.

If you called the folder PLOP, it goes something like this: (you will probably be on C )

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /create /d "PLOP" /application bootsector

The entry {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} was successfully created.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ced785a4-a6da-11de-1966657855} device boot

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} path \plop\pbtldr.bin

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} /addlast

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #26
atomsk

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
That didn't work for me.

That's what I meant by I had to figure it out.

Just add plpbtldr.bin to bcd like you would ntldr.

Ignore the boot.ini bit for Vista/7 - unless you want 2 entries popping up on the boot menu.

If you called the folder PLOP, it goes something like this: (you will probably be on C )

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /create /d "PLOP" /application bootsector

The entry {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} was successfully created.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ced785a4-a6da-11de-1966657855} device boot

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /set {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} path \plop\pbtldr.bin

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /displayorder {ced785a4-a6da-11de-a68e-001966657855} /addlast

The operation completed successfully.

D:\Windows\system32>
Is that a typo? Meh, I treated it as one. SO that's all done now. Should I now see Plop at boot? If so does this mean that I will have to choose my OS at each boot (or just wait the 20 some seconds to pass) to load it up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #27
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You should see PLOP on your windows boot menu.

I assume you already have 7 and XP on there and have set the default and time out of your choosing.

Select PLOP

If you pointed bcd the right way, you will get a fun sci - fi screen .

Select which device you want to boot from on the PLOP menu.

You don't have to select PLOP -select another entry from Windows boot menu if you want that, or select nothing and you will boot whichever item on the menu you set as default.


reduce the timeout of windows boot menu like this:

bcdedit /set timeout 5
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #28
atomsk

Windows 7 Ultimate X64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You should see PLOP on your windows boot menu.

I assume you already have 7 and XP on there and have set the default and time out of your choosing.

Select PLOP

If you pointed bcd the right way, you will get a fun sci - fi screen .

Select which device you want to boot from on the PLOP menu.

You don't have to select PLOP -select another entry from Windows boot menu if you want that, or select nothing and you will boot whichever item on the menu you set as default.
I am blond. I am prone to those special moments as well. I forgot the boot menu is accessed by pressing F8 prior to Windows boot. I'm thinking dual boot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #29
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

HUH.

Just restart and see what pops up on the screen.

PLOP should be there .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Nov 2009   #30
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Try it - see if the boot from usb feature works for you.

I see you watching Greg - are you going to give it a go?
Can you explain in plain English what PLOP is?

I thought OP got their XP installed from desktop.

Is this a science experiment?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Install Windows 7 TO external drive?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How to install windows 7 to usb external hard drive
Hello, I am attempting to install Windows 7 to a external 1TB hard drive. I am following instruction at www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7-to-usb-external-hard-drive-must-read/ I have installed the windows automated install (WAIK), and copied the Windows 7 CD to a folder on the hard...
Installation & Setup
Install windows 7 from external USB HDD or USB flash drive?
install windows 7 from external USB hdd whether it will work well? I use wd external USB drive NTFS format. whether it is more properly install windows from a USB flash drive?
Installation & Setup
New Windows 7 Home x64 install not detecting External Drive.
So after my prehistoric motherboard finally died, I bit the bullet and did a complete system overhaul, upgrading to my current listed specs in my profile along with a new Windows 7 Home Ultimate x64 install. However, it has provided me with an unexpected issue. Windows no longer detects my...
Hardware & Devices
Install windows 7 on USB external hard drive
I am trying to install windows 7 on an usb attached external hard drive, into a secondary partition. I've tryed installing from an ISO file mounted as a virtual drive, by extracting the files and running the setup file and by booting from the ISO file of a DVD/DR disc. I choose custom install and...
Installation & Setup
Install Windows 7 on external hard drive using Bootcamp
How can I install Windows 7 on my external hard drive using Bootcamp on my Mac? Do not say it would be slow. I installed Mac OS X on it and it works just as fast as on my internal drive and there are no problems at all.
Installation & Setup
How can i make/install windows 7 using my external hard drive ?
Hello I hope im not making a mistake here but would like to know how can i install windows 7 using my external hard drive using this... How To make Bootable USB without encountering this STOP: 0X0000007B i mean i will use my external hard drive as bootable usb to install windows 7 on my...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App