Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: windows 7 installation cannot find drivers?


04 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
windows 7 installation cannot find drivers PLEASE HELP!

well when i boot from my windows 7 retail upgrade disk to do a clean install, it say's it cant find the drivers or something and notes that i can take the disk out to put one in for it if i have one, or browse my hard drive but what the hell is it going on about? do i need to install windows 7 drivers on my vista system before i do a clean install of windows 7? i tried both the 64 and 32 bit disks, same error.. it happens on step 5 of Clean Install Windows 7 it doesn't show a license agreement, just the driver problem but when i use the windows 7 upgrade adviser it say's my computer can handle it as i originally thought.. what the hell is the problem? i really do appreciate your input, thanks in advance.


EDIT: well i tried it on another vista computer, it works fine! what the hell?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Nov 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Please be specific - post the exact error message you receive. What type of hard drive do you have - is it SATA, RAID, or IDE?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult x64 - SP1/ Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Is your computer connected to the internet during the installation?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Please be specific - post the exact error message you receive. What type of hard drive do you have - is it SATA, RAID, or IDE?
well here's the pictures of whats going on

this happens at step 5


then i press ok and this pops up



i press ok and its this



and my hard drive? i'm not sure if this is it but



edit: yes just looked on the side of my computer, 500 gb sata II hard drive.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
Is your computer connected to the internet during the installation?
well its running off of the disc when i boot up so i dont think so but is this computer connected to the internet when i run my current os: vista? yes

hope this helped.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post
well when i boot from my windows 7 retail upgrade disk to do a clean install, it say's it cant find the drivers or something and notes that i can take the disk out to put one in for it if i have one, or browse my hard drive but what the hell is it going on about? do i need to install windows 7 drivers on my vista system before i do a clean install of windows 7? i tried both the 64 and 32 bit disks, same error.. it happens on step 5 of Clean Install Windows 7 it doesn't show a license agreement, just the driver problem but when i use the windows 7 upgrade adviser it say's my computer can handle it as i originally thought.. what the hell is the problem? i really do appreciate your input, thanks in advance.
I haven't seen this myself, but I believe that it's sometimes due to a defective install DVD. If you burned it yourself, try again at a slower burn speed. (Or use a utility like Nero, which can do a binary verification after the burn.)

Alternately, prepare a USB flash drive and install from it:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../dd535816.aspx

It has the side effect of being much faster than doing it from the DVD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post
well when i boot from my windows 7 retail upgrade disk to do a clean install, it say's it cant find the drivers or something and notes that i can take the disk out to put one in for it if i have one, or browse my hard drive but what the hell is it going on about? do i need to install windows 7 drivers on my vista system before i do a clean install of windows 7? i tried both the 64 and 32 bit disks, same error.. it happens on step 5 of Clean Install Windows 7 it doesn't show a license agreement, just the driver problem but when i use the windows 7 upgrade adviser it say's my computer can handle it as i originally thought.. what the hell is the problem? i really do appreciate your input, thanks in advance.
I haven't seen this myself, but I believe that it's sometimes due to a defective install DVD. If you burned it yourself, try again at a slower burn speed. (Or use a utility like Nero, which can do a binary verification after the burn.)

Alternately, prepare a USB flash drive and install from it:

Use a USB Key to Install Windows 7?Even on a Netbook

It has the side effect of being much faster than doing it from the DVD.
well i did say it was retail, i didnt burn it myself.. unless you can pay and donwload a copy online.

EDIT: well i tried it on another vista computer, it works fine! what the hell?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post

well i did say it was retail, i didnt burn it myself.. unless you can pay and donwload a copy online.

EDIT: well i tried it on another vista computer, it works fine! what the hell?
Sure, the retail versions (upgrade and full) can be downloaded from the Microsoft store. That's how I acquired mine (retail upgrade).

Sound like your retail pressed disk is OK, but the DVD drive on the machine where it didn't work wasn't so good.

I suggest you make a backup copy of the disk, just in case. (Microsoft doesn't use copy protection.)

Try the USB flash drive on the first machine. It's really pretty easy. 4GB flash drives have gotten quite cheap.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zarosath View Post

well i did say it was retail, i didnt burn it myself.. unless you can pay and donwload a copy online.

EDIT: well i tried it on another vista computer, it works fine! what the hell?
Sure, the retail versions (upgrade and full) can be downloaded from the Microsoft store. That's how I acquired mine (retail upgrade).

Sound like your retail pressed disk is OK, but the DVD drive on the machine where it didn't work wasn't so good.

I suggest you make a backup copy of the disk, just in case. (Microsoft doesn't use copy protection.)

Try the USB flash drive on the first machine. It's really pretty easy. 4GB flash drives have gotten quite cheap.

well i replaced the disc drive with the one it worked on, same problem and i don't have nor will have one some time soon a usb drive, this is really pissing me off..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2009   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

You need to load your SATA controller driver when it prompts for driver during install.

Start up your Vista, right click Computer>Manage>Device Manager. Choose your SATA controller driver tab, look at Details and it will show your the location of that driver. Copy it onto a USB flash driver or disk and load it when prompted by the Windows 7 installer.

If this fails then check your BIOS to see that the optical drive is set to SATA.

You can also try running the Installer from your Vista desktop instructing it to stay connected to the internet. If this works, then choose Custom install and install over your Vista. The difference is that it will put your Vista files in a windows.old folder for later access.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You need to load your SATA controller driver when it prompts for driver during install.

Start up your Vista, right click Computer>Manage>Device Manager. Choose your SATA controller driver tab, look at Details and it will show your the location of that driver. Copy it onto a USB flash driver or disk and load it when prompted by the Windows 7 installer.

If this fails then check your BIOS to see that the optical drive is set to SATA.

You can also try running the Installer from your Vista desktop instructing it to stay connected to the internet. If this works, then choose Custom install and install over your Vista. The difference is that it will put your Vista files in a windows.old folder for later access.
sorry, but unless i did it wrong it didnt work.. i copied the single file it said it was, put it on disk and tried to load it in but didn't work..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 windows 7 installation cannot find drivers?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33