Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why is my OS installation so large relative to sum of files?

18 Dec 2014   #11
gregrocker

 

Hibernate is a perfected feature in Win7 that allows the user to walk away for a day or a month without concern about shutting down or saving one's work, because once it times out to Hibernate it saves everything left out on the desktop to the hard drive and shuts down. Then it starts up twice as fast. It's absolutely needed if one sets Sleep timeout too becuause otherwise Sleep is going to wear RAM for as long as you're away from the PC, and I've heard of that being over a year before. So I would not turn off such a useful and popular feature any more than I'd change the theme to Classic to look at ugly file-cabinet grey Win2000 graphics on an OS with elegant transparency.

How did your System Restore slider get set at 50% of the drive? Have never seen it more than 5-10% before.

As Wolfgang says don't turn off the paging file but set it around 2gb to have a virtual paging file. Without space constraints there is of course no reason to do this so it should be at System Managed by default.

Other tips here for Clean Reinstall Windows 7 explain how drivers are best handled in the first driver-complete OS, the tools and methods that work best in tens of thousands of installs we've helped directly with here, and has been used by over a million people without a single complaint or return with problems by those who stick with them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2014   #12
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
How did your System Restore slider get set at 50% of the drive? Have never seen it more than 5-10% before.
Some people have reported Avast 2015 sets the System Restore slider to 50%.
If the OP is using Avast, that might be the culprit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2014   #13
colt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Hibernate is a perfected feature in Win7 that allows the user to walk away for a day or a month without concern about shutting down or saving one's work, because once it times out to Hibernate it saves everything left out on the desktop to the hard drive and shuts down. Then it starts up twice as fast. It's absolutely needed if one sets Sleep timeout too becuause otherwise Sleep is going to wear RAM for as long as you're away from the PC, and I've heard of that being over a year before. So I would not turn off such a useful and popular feature any more than I'd change the theme to Classic to look at ugly file-cabinet grey Win2000 graphics on an OS with elegant transparency.
I'm inclined to agree; it has it's uses. I just need to figure out how to enable hibernate. The hibernate file is there obviously, but I don't have access to hibernate from the Start menu.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
As Wolfgang says don't turn off the paging file but set it around 2gb to have a virtual paging file. Without space constraints there is of course no reason to do this so it should be at System Managed by default.
Yeah, I'm not space constrained on the OS partition as of yet, so I'm happy to let Windows set the page file to whatever it desires.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
How did your System Restore slider get set at 50% of the drive? Have never seen it more than 5-10% before.
Some people have reported Avast 2015 sets the System Restore slider to 50%.
If the OP is using Avast, that might be the culprit.
No Avast. Not sure how it happened. I dialed it back to 20%, which is still massive at 40gb, but again, I'm not space constrained, so why not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2014   #14
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by colt View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Hibernate is a perfected feature in Win7 that allows the user to walk away for a day or a month without concern about shutting down or saving one's work, because once it times out to Hibernate it saves everything left out on the desktop to the hard drive and shuts down. Then it starts up twice as fast. It's absolutely needed if one sets Sleep timeout too becuause otherwise Sleep is going to wear RAM for as long as you're away from the PC, and I've heard of that being over a year before. So I would not turn off such a useful and popular feature any more than I'd change the theme to Classic to look at ugly file-cabinet grey Win2000 graphics on an OS with elegant transparency.
I'm inclined to agree; it has it's uses. I just need to figure out how to enable hibernate. The hibernate file is there obviously, but I don't have access to hibernate from the Start menu.
Hibernate is enabled/disabled from an elevated command prompt.
Here is a tutorial by Brink:
Hibernate - Enable or Disable
Also note the related tutorials in this tutorial ...

Using Hibernate is controlled in Control Panel > Power Options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why is my OS installation so large relative to sum of files?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Copying Large Files
Is there any way to copy a large file of 8 GB and above from one directory to another in an NTFS system?:cry:
General Discussion
New Win7 Installation Too large
I just installed Win7 Ultimate on a new build. The OS is installed on a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro. I haven't installed any drivers or programs yet I'm showing only 56.0GB free out of 119GB. What's eating up all the space?
Installation & Setup
New installation of Windows 7 with large dynamic disk
i currently have windows 7 installed on a 80 gig sata drive. i also have 2 x 1.5TB drives and 1 x 3 TB drives set up as one large dynamic disk (they are combined and show up in windows explorer as D:\ with 5.45TB) how do i go about re-installing windows on the 80 gb drive (or possibly a new...
Installation & Setup
How to stream large files
Greetings, I need to stream large files between two computers (htpc & other is just for storing large files) that are separated by a wall. Both are connected to powerline network adapters and a third computer has a powerline adapter hooked up to a wireless router, all are connected via windows...
Network & Sharing
Can W7 handle large #s of files?
I did some data recovery and pulled over 8 million "files" from an external HD. Searching 'mp3' and 'doc' I verified there are many valid files on my internal drive. However, when I try to copy them back the window disappears after about 5 minutes of "preparing to copy" and there is nothing...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App