Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I do a clean install from an hhd to an ssd

12 Jan 2015   #1
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Can I do a clean install from an hhd to an ssd

Is it possible to do a clean install of windows 7 to an ssd. If I have my copy of windows on an regular hard drive similar to installing windows with a bootable flash drive ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jan 2015   #2
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Yes it's just the same. But why do a clean install??? You don't want to clone?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #3
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Yes it's just the same. But why do a clean install??? You don't want to clone?
what do you mean by clone? I know what clone means just wanna make sure we are on the same page/ And the reason is because I accidently deleted my own restore point and i just messed up my registry so I need to do a reinstall to get everything back my computer keeps blue screening and I think it is because of it I am not sure. Also will I have to format the drive I want to install from. I ask because I have data on the hhd I want to use to install windows 7 onto my ssd. If so will I have to make a data partition on the hhd to use for the install in order to keep my data
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2015   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Yes it's just the same. But why do a clean install??? You don't want to clone?
what do you mean by clone? I know what clone means just wanna make sure we are on the same page/ And the reason is because I accidently deleted my own restore point and i just messed up my registry so I need to do a reinstall to get everything back my computer keeps blue screening and I think it is because of it I am not sure. Also will I have to format the drive I want to install from. I ask because I have data on the hhd I want to use to install windows 7 onto my ssd. If so will I have to make a data partition on the hhd to use for the install in order to keep my data
So your win7 is acting very strange and you want to do a reinstall.
Please post a screenshot of disk management with all fields visible. You don't have any flash drive to install from?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #5
gregrocker

 

Yes, follow these steps to prepare for, achieve and then maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

Everything needed is in the blue link.

Do you have a retail Full or Upgrade Product Key to use to reactivate?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #6
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes, follow these steps to prepare for, achieve and then maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7.

Everything needed is in the blue link.

Do you have a retail Full or Upgrade Product Key to use to reactivate?
retail full and when you said yes you mean I am correct in assuming I will need a data partition created on my hhd in order to keep what ever is on my hhd?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #7
gregrocker

 

We asked for a screenshot of hard drive if you want help creating a data partition and so you can later delete the old OS. Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

Unplug hard drive during install to SSD. Make sure when you plug it back the SSD remains set first to boot in BIOS.

A good way is to sort data into User folders on old OS then copy them to new data partition. After install either right click these folders to Add To Library or Move them from C to Data drive. User Folders - Change Default Location

If you post back the requested screenshot with partitions labeled we can advise how to delete the old OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #8
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
If the install is corrupted on the hdd just take ownership of it and transfer your Personal files which is all you can transfer anyway,
Programs will have to be re-installed on the clean installed ssd,
If that's what you mean ?
Cheers

I believe your referring to a repair install and transfer that to the ssd ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #9
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
If the install is corrupted on the hdd just take ownership of it and transfer your Personal files which is all you can transfer anyway,
Programs will have to be re-installed on the clean installed ssd,
If that's what you mean ?
Cheers

I believe your referring to a repair install and transfer that to the ssd ?

no I have my copy of windows on a hard drive and I want to use my hard drive like you would use a bootable flash drive to instal windows to my ssd basically install windows using an hard drive instead of a flash drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2015   #10
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

sorry it took so long my pc keeps blue screening before I could post it I just noticed the hard drive I am using is from my old laptop it has a recovery partition from the factory installed os that came with my laptop can I use that data partition to install windows 7 to my ssd Can I do a clean install from an hhd to an ssd-untitled-1.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I do a clean install from an hhd to an ssd




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How can I do a clean erase of my SSD to clean install Windows 7?
I think I have a virus or malware and have been unable to get rid of it after many tries, and I am having multiple problems with this home built computer running Windows 7Pro 64bit. I installed a retail version of Windows 7Pro 64bit and I have my original installation disk. I want to do a clean...
Installation & Setup
Clean install vs System image file install?
Could someone tell me if a re-install from a system image file on my notebook is as good as a clean install from say a retail disk. I can not format all my drive and start a fresh. Can my System image file become glitchy or infected with a virus.???:huh:
Installation & Setup
Clean Install of Win7 - Wipe Hard Drive Clean
Hi Folks, I just did a clean install of Win7 and must have done something wrong. I found a file called Windows.old.:confused: I would like to wipe my hard drive completely clean and then install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. How do I accomplish this task? It's a good time to...
Installation & Setup
Boot config not working, tried clean install, can't install windows 7
My spouses pc all of a sudden wouldn't boot, not into safe mode or anything (vista), and so we were going to upgrade anyways to windows 7, so i bought the upgrade windows 7 and attempted to do a clean install and reformatted the c: drive which has 250gb, and each time i start the install it bogs...
Installation & Setup
clean install of win7 and keeping install of mint
Recently i had a windows error that prevented me from logging into my profile, so i ended up doing a restore and that fixed the problem. But now like half of my programs are working, all failing to load. So i was thinking of just doing a clean install of windows and starting over. But the deal is...
General Discussion
Clean install to replace existing windows 7 install
I'm looking to buy a new laptop, seen a few models I like and they all come with windows 7 pre-installed. Problem is they all also come with a dozen or so pre-installed pieces of freeware/shareware/trial software that I have no use for and don't want and I would like to do a clean install of...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App