Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: BOOTMGR Unexpectedly deleted

15 Feb 2015   #1
dulljony12345

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
BOOTMGR Unexpectedly deleted

i turned my laptop off i went too sleep when i woke up to to get in the laptop it said the BOOTMGR was missing press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart i don't know what happened but i did know my brother was on it before i turned it off, he downloaded a hack menu for one of his games, my AVG said it was a virus but he told me it was not so started installing it i got a bad feeling so i clicked cancel but it installed it anyway along with lot of adware. i uninstalled the adware, shut it down, and went to sleep is there anyway i can get it working

Oh i dont know if it matters but i downloaded a windows 7 ultimate iso to use when i installed the OS i few months ago

oh and does it delete the boot manager if windows is not genuine it was a vista PC with a vista sticker on the bottom but i cant read the numbers on the sticker i bought the computer from a thift store

Should i just go back to linux?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Feb 2015   #2
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

It sounds like the Ultimate .ISO may well have been riddled with malware.

Your best bet is to perform a clean install with a genuine Windows product, after cleaning the disk using DISKPART CLEAN ALL during installation.

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #3
dulljony12345

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
Money?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
It sounds like the Ultimate .ISO may well have been riddled with malware.

Your best bet is to perform a clean install with a genuine Windows product, after cleaning the disk using DISKPART CLEAN ALL during installation.

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
does that mean i have to BUY windows 7 if so i will look for an iso that does not delete bootmgr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Feb 2015   #4
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #5
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dulljony12345 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
It sounds like the Ultimate .ISO may well have been riddled with malware.

Your best bet is to perform a clean install with a genuine Windows product, after cleaning the disk using DISKPART CLEAN ALL during installation.

Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command
does that mean i have to BUY windows 7 if so i will look for an iso that does not delete bootmgr
What an appropriate username you have!

I do not know the traditions, habits and laws of where you come from, in the civilized world the answer is YES. People usually BUY instead of stealing.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #6
gregrocker

 

Did your laptop come with Win7? If so then you can reinstall it as many times as you want using the Product Key on the COA sticker on bottom or under battery. The whole process is detailed here to Clean Reinstall Windows 7

If this is the Lenovo T400 that came with Vista you can reinstall Vista using Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #7
dulljony12345

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Did your laptop come with Win7? If so then you can reinstall it as many times as you want using the Product Key on the COA sticker on bottom or under battery. The whole process is detailed here to Clean Reinstall Windows 7

If this is the Lenovo T400 that came with Vista you can reinstall Vista using Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB.
it did come with the sticker buy the sticker got wet and the numbers came off but i might try that. when i bought it, it did not have a hard drive so i got one from an old computer of mine that had vista and it is still on there to this day so i have two operating systems i have a boot menu that asks me which do i want to boot to
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #8
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Greg, you noticed this in original post:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dulljony12345 View Post
oh and does it delete the boot manager if windows is not genuine it was a vista PC with a vista sticker on the bottom but i cant read the numbers on the sticker i bought the computer from a thift store
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2015   #9
gregrocker

 

I think if I was in your position I'd download and Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview which is the future for Windows and remarkably stable even though still pre-beta. I have been using it for four months without going back to Windows 7. Delete all partitions during the booted install. You can get help as needed and help others at Windows 10 Forums

Otherwise order Vista Recovery disks for that PC from Lenovo, buy a copy of Windows 7 to install, reinstall Linux.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 BOOTMGR Unexpectedly deleted




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Deleted Items Folder: Where Are The Deleted Messages
:huh: Hi, Could someone please tell me why my deleted messages are deleted from the computer instead of going to my Deleted Items Folder? I "do not" have the box checked from Menus - Options - Advanced - Maintenance - Empty messages from the "Deleted Items" folder on exit. Your help would be most...
Browsers & Mail
Need to recover deleted office 2003, deleted in error
Hi, Whilst removing a virus I have somehow managed to delete office 2003 with my outlook with all of my work emails on !!! I have tried a system restore but it wont let me do it and comes up with %systemroot%\registration then ComPlusStaging I could just reinstall office but I dont have...
Microsoft Office
Deleted partition and new HDD -> BOOTMGR is missing
Hi guys and gilrs, Yesterday I bought a new 1.5TB hdd and decided to make from it one new partition called "X:". My old hdd was 150GB(separated into "C:" and "D:"), so I deleted "D:" and expanded my "C:" with the unallocated memory from the deleted partition and formated the new expanded "C:"....
Installation & Setup
Bootmgr is missing, accidently deleted OS
hey ive got this problem that happened to me yesterday i had an unexpected shutdown, i tried to reinstall the windows 7 as it wasnt working. i formated the partition that the operating system was on, but then was unable to install the new OS. it wont let me delete partitions or create new...
Installation & Setup
Recover deleted data from a deleted user account?
How to recover deleted data from an deleted user? Hi Guys, Please help I had an old user account which was corrupted, So I deleted that however forgotten to keep the files...... Is there any way I can get my old data back??:( Using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App