Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Issues with missing permissions [Moved]

11 Jul 2015   #1
Tarath

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 
Issues with missing permissions [Moved]

Hi there! I'm new to the forums so go easy on me :S. Recently my laptop has been acting oddly so I wanted to use sfc /scannow to see if it could fix up anything problematic

I've performed the sfc /scannow in cmd as an admin and it came up with "Windows resource protection found some files but was unable to fix some of them".

Then I took the step of
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and it seemed to have gone well. So I rebooted my computer and tried SFC /scannow and it came up with the same unable to fix some of them. I have even tried SFC /scannow 3 times but it came up with the same unable to fix spiel.

I've attached the CBS log because I can't make any sense of it. Could anyone please tell me if it is anything important/crucial that is affecting my computer in the log or if that the "unable to fix some of the files" isn't for anything important?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jul 2015   #2
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

You appear to have run the SFC at least twice - and uninstalled an update in between?
The earlier scan had the following error...
Code:
 Line 3900: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f1 [SR] Repairing 1 components
 Line 3901: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f2 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
 Line 3904: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f4 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
 Line 3907: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f6 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
- which according to MS isn't a problem.

The later run had no errors at all as far as the normal extract shows.

However there are a large (400+) number of folders which apparently have no Owner - here's a couple of the errors from the log...
Code:
Line 3684: 2015-07-11 16:23:57, Info                  CSI    00000868 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:520{260},l:112{56}]"\??\C:\Windows\Inf\.NET Data Provider for SqlServer\0000" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-NETFXCoreComp, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
 Line 3686: 2015-07-11 16:23:57, Info                  CSI    00000869 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:66{33},l:64{32}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-NETFXCoreComp, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
This looks to me as if you've run some kind of 'fixit' tool which has messed up file ownership and permissions.
I would tend to think that a repair install is going to be your best option, if you have the appropriate media.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #3
Tarath

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
You appear to have run the SFC at least twice - and uninstalled an update in between?
The earlier scan had the following error...
Code:
 Line 3900: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f1 [SR] Repairing 1 components
 Line 3901: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f2 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
 Line 3904: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f4 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
 Line 3907: 2015-07-11 16:25:54, Info                  CSI    000008f6 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.3.9600.17842, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
- which according to MS isn't a problem.

The later run had no errors at all as far as the normal extract shows.

However there are a large (400+) number of folders which apparently have no Owner - here's a couple of the errors from the log...
Code:
Line 3684: 2015-07-11 16:23:57, Info                  CSI    00000868 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:520{260},l:112{56}]"\??\C:\Windows\Inf\.NET Data Provider for SqlServer\0000" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-NETFXCoreComp, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
 Line 3686: 2015-07-11 16:23:57, Info                  CSI    00000869 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:66{33},l:64{32}]"\??\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-NETFXCoreComp, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral
This looks to me as if you've run some kind of 'fixit' tool which has messed up file ownership and permissions.
I would tend to think that a repair install is going to be your best option, if you have the appropriate media.
A repair install? What is that? Just a complete reformat of the system?
So this tool messed up file ownership and permissions, does that mean its messing up my system or not doing anything bad?
The fixit-esque stuff I have are Advanced Systemcare 8, CC Cleaner, Driver booster 2, Smart Defrag 4, Avast Free antivirus, Malwarebytes.
Any problematic ones in this list?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Jul 2015   #4
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

1) Advanced System Care is extremely dangerous - you should uninstall it, and any other software from the same house!
2) Driver booster is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous. - Drivers only need to be updated if there are problems with the existing ones that the updates are designed to fix. This type of software will tend to find whatever the latest version is - regardless of whether it's appropriate for your machine, and can result in a mismatch.
3) Windows has a perfectly adequate Defragger out of the box, which runs all the time - a third-party one is unnecessary, and can actually make things worse, if the Windows one isn't properly disabled, as each has a different definition of 'defragged' and one will undo what the other has done - only for that in turn to be undone.

Avast and MBAM are OK.

As far as what's happened is concerned, my suspicion falls on ASC - but it's unlikely that attempting to use any inbuilt Undo option will be effective.

A repair install is also known as an In-place Upgrade install, which requires retail media rather than Recovery media. See the tutorial here... Repair Install
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #5
Tarath

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
1) Advanced System Care is extremely dangerous - you should uninstall it, and any other software from the same house!
2) Driver booster is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous. - Drivers only need to be updated if there are problems with the existing ones that the updates are designed to fix. This type of software will tend to find whatever the latest version is - regardless of whether it's appropriate for your machine, and can result in a mismatch.
3) Windows has a perfectly adequate Defragger out of the box, which runs all the time - a third-party one is unnecessary, and can actually make things worse, if the Windows one isn't properly disabled, as each has a different definition of 'defragged' and one will undo what the other has done - only for that in turn to be undone.

Avast and MBAM are OK.

As far as what's happened is concerned, my suspicion falls on ASC - but it's unlikely that attempting to use any inbuilt Undo option will be effective.

A repair install is also known as an In-place Upgrade install, which requires retail media rather than Recovery media. See the tutorial here... Repair Install
Hmmm I see. Thanks for the input, I'll remove ASC and driverbooster.
I don't have my windows key with me so I dont think I'll be able to do a repair install. Is my system that bad to warrant a repair install? Could I get an explanation of what is happening and what problems are being caused from the log?
Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #6
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Let's take one of the folders I used as an example...

Open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following commands

DIR C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409
ICACLS C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409

Post the results.

Here are some instructions to make lifeeasier

1) To open anElevated Command Prompt Window (the ECP window), click on Start, All Programs,Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run asAdministrator. Accept the UAC prompt.

2) To run thecommands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on thehighlight – select Copy. In the CP Window, click on the black/white icon at topleft – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the lastcommand, so hit the Enter Key once.

3) To copy theresults... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit...'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to pasteit into your response.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #7
Tarath

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

For DIR C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409:

C:\Windows\system32>
C:\Windows\system32>DIR C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409
Volume in drive C is Windows
Volume Serial Number is 38FD-F453

Directory of C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409

23/08/2013 01:36 AM <DIR> .
23/08/2013 01:36 AM <DIR> ..
22/08/2013 02:16 PM 5,632 mscorees.dll
1 File(s) 5,632 bytes
2 Dir(s) 370,562,543,616 bytes free

C:\Windows\system32>


For ICACLS C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ICACLS C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MUI\0409 NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerF)
NT SERVICE\TrustedInstallerCI)(IO)(F)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMM)
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMOI)(CI)(IO)(F)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsM)
BUILTIN\AdministratorsOI)(CI)(IO)(F)
BUILTIN\UsersRX)
BUILTIN\UsersOI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)
CREATOR OWNEROI)(CI)(IO)(F)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKA
GESRX)
APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKA
GESOI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Windows\system32>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #8
NoelDP

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 x64 Home Premium (and x86 VirtualBox VM)/Win10
 
 

Now that does surprise me!

I've never noticed the last entry in anything before - and it doesn't exist on my install.
Is this machine attached to a Domain Server?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2015   #9
Tarath

Windows 8.1 x64
 
 

A domain server? I don't think so... Why?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jul 2015   #10
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoelDP View Post
I've never noticed the last entry in anything before - and it doesn't exist on my install.
The identity reference "APPLICATION PACKAGE AUTHORITY\ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" exists abundantly on Windows 8.1, it's non-existent in Win. 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Issues with missing permissions [Moved]




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Moved temp folders, Now having Issues**
Hi I moved my Temp folders around and created a junction to a different hard-drive to free up space on my SSD. After further reading I realized this was a bad move and tried to re-sync the old junction and get back everything to normal again but It didn't seem to have worked. Right now I'm...
General Discussion
Many Reg keys missing permissions
Win7 Ultimate AccessEnum shows many registry keys without permissions, especially under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum, ControlSet001\Enum and ControlSet002\Enum. Also verified this manually. I was able to correct many but Enum permissions can't be changed (add Administrators...
Performance & Maintenance
System Restore moved my files and changed permissions
Hello, I did a system restore the other day and now my Eclipse workspace, which was in my "Documents" folder, is now gone. When I run eclipse, it opens the workspace still, but i cannot save any changes i make to my projects. It says "Cannot write to file C:\users\robert\workspace\my...
Backup and Restore
Moved or missing files
I discovered a week or so ago that some of my desktop images had changed but as weird things tend to happen when using windows I didn't think too much about it until I tried to run one of the games whose icon had changed. A message appeared saying the the file 'something.exe' has moved or is...
General Discussion
New Install Issues - Moved
Hi I been running windows 7 for 2 days and I{m already experimenting some problems. Is starting to get slow, it blinks(windows & the screen), My icons are disappearing, and when i try to put it back on sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The background I will set it to be changing and after...
Installation & Setup
Sound Card issues - Moved Thread
The audio settings make me nuts. They were just as goofy in Vista. I use Magic Jack, Skype and other VOIP web conference rooms and I'm having one helluva time trying to figure out how to configure my bluetooth dongle/bluetooth headset to work with all of these audio thingys... With...
Sound & Audio


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App