Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Windows 10 on Multiple Devices?

03 Aug 2015   #11
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Probably cheaper to buy win7 , then there is a year to get the free upgrade, if wanted.

It shouldn't be necessary, they already have 7 licenses,though something has gone awry.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Aug 2015   #12
DRProcek

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Which version of win-7 did your mom have installed ?
Your option is to buy 10 Home or pro
Home is the cheapest version about 100.us 64 bit or 32 bit
10 pro is 140.us + tax/ shipping
Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit - Newegg.com
She is using Windows 7 Home Premium (well, before we installed 10). Either way, we're not paying for something we should have for free. Both of us qualified for Windows 10, and both builds show as genuine (of course now W7 is telling me it is not, but that's another story). I don't mean to sound pretentious, but if we're supposed to have these builds of Windows 10 for free, then paying for Windows 7 all over again (or paying for 10 for whatever reason) is not an option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #13
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I asked for help in a way to recover the activation key for 7
I know there's a utility one can use to do it but can't think of it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Aug 2015   #14
DRProcek

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
I asked for help in a way to recover the activation key for 7
I know there's a utility one can use to do it but can't think of it
I don't know of any utility, but I used a string of code to retrieve the product key from mine and my mom's computers. I grabbed my key when I still had Windows 7, in case I needed it when I got Windows 10 downloaded (I didn't need it though, because I was directly upgrading). I got my mom's key after Windows 10 was installed because I needed her desktop to open Notepad. However, the product key it gave us was invalid, according to Windows 10.

Maybe someone who knows code better than I can look at it. The string is:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #15
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

If your mum did an upgrade , you need the key from windows.old\windows\system32\config\Software hive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #16
DRProcek

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
If your mum did an upgrade , you need the key from windows.old\windows\system32\config\Software hive
I didn't know there would be a key in there, but thank you. I'll check it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #17
DRProcek

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
If your mum did an upgrade , you need the key from windows.old\windows\system32\config\Software hive
Okay, I followed that path, and I shouldn't have expected to just cleanly find the key lol.

In the software hive is just a document I opened with Notepad. Now I'm looking at the biggest wall of code I've ever seen, where most of the characters aren't even English. So lost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Do you not have one of these on the computer you could use.


Installing Windows 10 on Multiple Devices?-coa-certificate-authenticity.gif


My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #19
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DRProcek View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
If your mum did an upgrade , you need the key from windows.old\windows\system32\config\Software hive
Okay, I followed that path, and I shouldn't have expected to just cleanly find the key lol.

In the software hive is just a document I opened with Notepad. Now I'm looking at the biggest wall of code I've ever seen, where most of the characters aren't even English. So lost.
Since you mention upgrade, I think this may work for you, worth a try anyway, it's had some success in the past,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hi thx1139,

I don't know how to do it in Jelly Bean, but I do with ProduKey:

Your Windows 7 product key is stored in the software registry hive, located here:

C:\Windows\system32\config\software

Please note, software is the file name, not a directory. It has no file extension. Your drive may have a different letter.

This is a little program that will tell you the product keys of the various software installed on your computer. What makes this different, is the ability to load keys from an external registry hive. Exactly what we want

So if you download and run ProduKey (by NirSoft):

http://www.nirsoft.n...key_viewer.html

Then press File > Select Source, you will be presented with a new menu. On this, select Load the product keys from an external Software Registry hive and you will be prompted to open a file. Navigate to the software hive on the external drive and open the hive. E.g. D:\Windows\system32\config\software. You should now have your product keys

Hope this helped.

Tom
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Aug 2015   #20
DRProcek

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Do you not have one of these on the computer you could use.


Attachment 368036
I said it in my other thread, but I guess I forgot to say it in this one. The tag with the product key is too faded to read on my mom's, and is entirely ripped on mine.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DRProcek View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
If your mum did an upgrade , you need the key from windows.old\windows\system32\config\Software hive
Okay, I followed that path, and I shouldn't have expected to just cleanly find the key lol.

In the software hive is just a document I opened with Notepad. Now I'm looking at the biggest wall of code I've ever seen, where most of the characters aren't even English. So lost.
Since you mention upgrade, I think this may work for you, worth a try anyway, it's had some success in the past,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tom982 View Post
Hi thx1139,

I don't know how to do it in Jelly Bean, but I do with ProduKey:

Your Windows 7 product key is stored in the software registry hive, located here:

C:\Windows\system32\config\software

Please note, software is the file name, not a directory. It has no file extension. Your drive may have a different letter.

This is a little program that will tell you the product keys of the various software installed on your computer. What makes this different, is the ability to load keys from an external registry hive. Exactly what we want

So if you download and run ProduKey (by NirSoft):

http://www.nirsoft.n...key_viewer.html

Then press File > Select Source, you will be presented with a new menu. On this, select Load the product keys from an external Software Registry hive and you will be prompted to open a file. Navigate to the software hive on the external drive and open the hive. E.g. D:\Windows\system32\config\software. You should now have your product keys

Hope this helped.

Tom
Looks like what SIW2 failed to mention was that to read that section, you need to have that ProduKey program. When I follow that path, I just end up with a big wall of code I have no idea how to read (thousands and thousands of lines).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows 10 on Multiple Devices?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Multiple BSODs after installing Windows 7 x64 onto new SSD
So I built my computer about 5 years ago and it ran pretty solidly with Windows XP and then Windows 7 Professional x32 until recently. I bought a SSD and installed Windows 7 x64 on it, whilst keeping the original Windows 7 Professional x32 on a HDD. After a short while I began to get BSODs...
BSOD Help and Support
Installing Windows 7 Ultimate makes some devices not to work
hello forum, i recently installed windows 7 Ultimate on another hard drive to dual boot with my windows 7 Home Premium (Dont bother asking why) And when it finished the installation, it logged on correctly, but now the wifi doesnt work (wifi light isnt even on when the wifi cord is pluged in), also...
Installation & Setup
Wireless devices not installing
Hi I have tried two different wireless N devices with my desktop pc, but neither of them will connect. The first was a Belkin USB wireless N adapter. I tried two of these and the same thing happened. The device was recognised by the pc and I installed the latest driver. After rebooting the...
Network & Sharing
Bluetooth dongle is installing, properly recognized, can't see devices
Purchased a brand new Asus USB-BT211 bluetooth dongle with the express goal of connecting a wiimote to my new computer. the machine runs Windows 7 x64, the drivers for the dongle install without a problem, and the bluetooth searching mode on the "add a device" screen appears to be running without a...
Hardware & Devices
Vista to Windows 7 Stuck at Installing devices.
I've lately gotten Windows 7. My installer gets stuck or hangs at Transferring files, settings and programs... as there are no %'s. First time I had that, it went on for ab. 3hours, so I thought something was wrong and restarted the installer. I'm currently on my old computer, and the installer...
Installation & Setup
No multiple display after installing Windows 7
Hi, I have a ACER Aspire 2920Z Laptop which has the graphics card - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset. I recently performed fresh install of Windows 7 on this Laptop. The OS automatically downloaded and installed all the drivers. However after installation, now I am unable to connect to...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App