Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: A problem that is taking me months to find a way to fix....

17 Mar 2016   #11
Bene4Lyf

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by heroleo View Post
You may need to reset your BIOS settings to default settings before installing the Windows operating system.
Tried it and now "BOOTMGR is missing Press Crtl+Alt+Del to restart" appeared, how to fix it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Mar 2016   #12
hazel123

Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit and Xubuntu
 
 

You would need the product key before 30 days as that's how long they give you to activate. I don't know about the Boot Manager thing.

If you have burned the W7 dvd as suggested earlier (assume you'll need another laptop to do this), then just try installing with it.

If your Dad is away with the disc and product key for more than 30 days you could still use the laptop with a live linux usb without installing anything. You'd need access to someone's laptop, and an empty usb stick/pendrive - download the iso (Xubuntu LTS is quite good) onto the laptop - then you can either burn a dvd and run it live from dvd, or install something like unetbootin to make a bootable usb. You don't have to install it at all, but can install it if you want to.

I would burn the 14.04 Long term release one (LTS) - left hand link - it seems to work on just about any computer.

Xubuntu
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #13
Bene4Lyf

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hazel123 View Post
You would need the product key before 30 days as that's how long they give you to activate. I don't know about the Boot Manager thing.

If you have burned the W7 dvd as suggested earlier (assume you'll need another laptop to do this), then just try installing with it.

If your Dad is away with the disc and product key for more than 30 days you could still use the laptop with a live linux usb without installing anything. You'd need access to someone's laptop, and an empty usb stick/pendrive - download the iso (Xubuntu LTS is quite good) onto the laptop - then you can either burn a dvd and run it live from dvd, or install something like unetbootin to make a bootable usb. You don't have to install it at all, but can install it if you want to.

I would burn the 14.04 Long term release one (LTS) - left hand link - it seems to work on just about any computer.

Xubuntu
Thanks but i dont have a dvd to burn and can i burn the usb instead so it will work? cuz im used to windows for years and i dont know other Operating Systems

also i used usb to make it an installation one and not dvd
lastly, im just using a netbook at my alternative and it dont have a place for dvd to be inserted
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Mar 2016   #14
GokAy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

You may be getting the error for having an incompatible Recovery Disk/installation media etc.

Personally, the only time I saw this error is while trying to install from an evaluation server 2012 iso which has expired. After downloading a new one from MS Eval center all was good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #15
hazel123

Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit and Xubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bene4Lyf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hazel123 View Post
You would need the product key before 30 days as that's how long they give you to activate. I don't know about the Boot Manager thing.

If you have burned the W7 dvd as suggested earlier (assume you'll need another laptop to do this), then just try installing with it.

If your Dad is away with the disc and product key for more than 30 days you could still use the laptop with a live linux usb without installing anything. You'd need access to someone's laptop, and an empty usb stick/pendrive - download the iso (Xubuntu LTS is quite good) onto the laptop - then you can either burn a dvd and run it live from dvd, or install something like unetbootin to make a bootable usb. You don't have to install it at all, but can install it if you want to.

I would burn the 14.04 Long term release one (LTS) - left hand link - it seems to work on just about any computer.

Xubuntu
Thanks but i dont have a dvd to burn and can i burn the usb instead so it will work? cuz im used to windows for years and i dont know other Operating Systems

also i used usb to make it an installation one and not dvd
lastly, im just using a netbook at my alternative and it dont have a place for dvd to be inserted
It was just a suggestion to be able to do some stuff on your computer if you can't get it activated with Windows. You can burn Xubuntu to usb as well. It just runs live from the usb stick so you can still install windows to your hard drive. It's a fairly straightforward easy one to use and if it's just for internet access you only need the browser in it really.

Which netbook is it? I've installed Windows on a few netbooks, but only via a Windows disc with a portable dvd drive.

Are you sure there isn't a recovery option built in? Asus netbooks had an option to press F something (sometimes F8) to reset to factory settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #16
Bene4Lyf

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hazel123 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bene4Lyf View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hazel123 View Post
You would need the product key before 30 days as that's how long they give you to activate. I don't know about the Boot Manager thing.

If you have burned the W7 dvd as suggested earlier (assume you'll need another laptop to do this), then just try installing with it.

If your Dad is away with the disc and product key for more than 30 days you could still use the laptop with a live linux usb without installing anything. You'd need access to someone's laptop, and an empty usb stick/pendrive - download the iso (Xubuntu LTS is quite good) onto the laptop - then you can either burn a dvd and run it live from dvd, or install something like unetbootin to make a bootable usb. You don't have to install it at all, but can install it if you want to.

I would burn the 14.04 Long term release one (LTS) - left hand link - it seems to work on just about any computer.

Xubuntu
Thanks but i dont have a dvd to burn and can i burn the usb instead so it will work? cuz im used to windows for years and i dont know other Operating Systems

also i used usb to make it an installation one and not dvd
lastly, im just using a netbook at my alternative and it dont have a place for dvd to be inserted
It was just a suggestion to be able to do some stuff on your computer if you can't get it activated with Windows. You can burn Xubuntu to usb as well. It just runs live from the usb stick so you can still install windows to your hard drive. It's a fairly straightforward easy one to use and if it's just for internet access you only need the browser in it really.

Which netbook is it? I've installed Windows on a few netbooks, but only via a Windows disc with a portable dvd drive.

Are you sure there isn't a recovery option built in? Asus netbooks had an option to press F something (sometimes F8) to reset to factory settings.
I'll try the xubuntu one an i have a question, if it is a live one, will it work even the usb stick is not inserted?

I also tried the unetbootin but it showed me the "Operating System not found" error message

Also i dont think so since i only use that netbook for my Microsoft Word/Excel/Powerpoint Projects and some scholl stuffs. but i think it has the recovery option i just dont know where it is since that netbook never had an issue like these minor//major errors
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #17
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Of course you have to insert the usb stick to run ubuntu. If there`s a recovery partition, watch the screen when you boot the netbook, it will show which key to push to start the recover process.

For ubuntu, You have to insert the usb stick, then use the 1 time boot menu key (if the PC has that option) to boot from the usb stick, you can then run ubuntu, you`ll be given 2 options

Try it or install it, just choose Try it.

Personally I prefer Zorin

Zorin OS - Download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #18
hazel123

Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit and Xubuntu
 
 

As AddRam says, you need the usb stick plugged into the machine. On the Asus netbooks you hit the escape key repeatedly when you switch the machine on and the boot menu appears. You then select the usb stick. Rather than install, it then runs the operating system directly from the USB.

Anyway - you might need your netbook manual to find out how to access the recovery partition. You said your Dad had the disc and product key with him - so maybe you had a clean install - in which case there wouldn't be a recovery partition.

I haven't tried Zorin :-) I know you can make the latest Xubuntu look a bit like windows by changing the colour scheme, so it can be more familiar.

This link explains how to install it to a usb drive and suggests using Pen Drive Linux rather than unetbootin (it's for Ubuntu rather than Xubuntu but same instructions apply).

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Obviously you'd need to do this on someone else's laptop. Download the Linux OS (whether it's xubuntu or zorin) onto the computer - download the pendrive linux program and then follow the instructions.

Where are you at with trying to get Windows 7 back on the netbook? There are tutorials on here on how/where to download it and burn it to usb.

If you've got files on the laptop I wouldn't install though, just run it live - you might be able to recover some of them later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #19
Bene4Lyf

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hazel123 View Post
As AddRam says, you need the usb stick plugged into the machine. On the Asus netbooks you hit the escape key repeatedly when you switch the machine on and the boot menu appears. You then select the usb stick. Rather than install, it then runs the operating system directly from the USB.

Anyway - you might need your netbook manual to find out how to access the recovery partition. You said your Dad had the disc and product key with him - so maybe you had a clean install - in which case there wouldn't be a recovery partition.

I haven't tried Zorin :-) I know you can make the latest Xubuntu look a bit like windows by changing the colour scheme, so it can be more familiar.

This link explains how to install it to a usb drive and suggests using Pen Drive Linux rather than unetbootin (it's for Ubuntu rather than Xubuntu but same instructions apply).

How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Obviously you'd need to do this on someone else's laptop. Download the Linux OS (whether it's xubuntu or zorin) onto the computer - download the pendrive linux program and then follow the instructions.

Where are you at with trying to get Windows 7 back on the netbook? There are tutorials on here on how/where to download it and burn it to usb.

If you've got files on the laptop I wouldn't install though, just run it live - you might be able to recover some of them later.


Im not installing the windows 7 in the netbook instead in my DELL LAPTOP AND IM JUST USING MY NETBOOK TO MAKE THE BOOTABLE USB (capsed it sine i think u guys are talking about doing a clean install in the fully functioning netbook instead of the laptop that has the ntoskrnl.exe

I also tried to go to the f8 of my dell laptop but it dont show the "repair your computer" that will put me in the recovery options

Now i see that u guys are talking about the other device im using instead of the laptop that needs the help of everyone...

Also why would i go to recovery options and reinstall the netbook if its the "someone elses laptop//my sister's" and its not what im fixing and what im fixing is the laptop?

So confused
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2016   #20
Bene4Lyf

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Of course you have to insert the usb stick to run ubuntu. If there`s a recovery partition, watch the screen when you boot the netbook, it will show which key to push to start the recover process.

For ubuntu, You have to insert the usb stick, then use the 1 time boot menu key (if the PC has that option) to boot from the usb stick, you can then run ubuntu, you`ll be given 2 options

Try it or install it, just choose Try it.

Personally I prefer Zorin

Zorin OS - Download
Thanks but i will try the ubuntu since its more fammiliar to me than zorin os
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 A problem that is taking me months to find a way to fix....




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD problem for months, getting worse, caused by ntoskrnl.exe
For around two or three months the system has been crashing on a weekly or biweekly basis and wasn't so much of a problem as to interfere and warrant investigation on my part. Within the past few days, however, it has gotten much worse and now crashes at least once daily. I have done what I can...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD- Persistent for months, cannot pinpoint problem. Different codes
I've been getting BSOD for months now, and it is driving me crazy. I cannot find out the problem. Things I've done, that has not helped: -New/upgraded power supply -Memtest = No faulty ram -New hard drive = no help -Took out graphics card to try onboard graphics = Still crashes I...
BSOD Help and Support
Files I cant find taking up space
Hey, I have a 60gb SSD that is unsurprisingly always nearly used up, but I cant see what is using up most of this space. I have 3-4 applications that must be using up less than 10gbs altogether and all my mp3's and movies etc are stored on a seperate drive. For example, my user folder shows up in...
Performance & Maintenance
ive been having the same problem for Months! Please HELP! S.o.S
The beginning of this year my laptop caught a virus. Trojan! and the moment i got rid of it all of my administrator privileges kinda stopped working. and this seems to apply to all files with exe. I have to always run as admin. but before i didnt have to right click and run as admin. if this makes...
Performance & Maintenance
Taking Ownership problem?
Hi, Before sending my dead laptop in for repairs, I pulled the drive and put it into an enclosure to copy some important files. But to access the files I found that my other computer had to change the ownership of the main folders. Here's my question: when I eventually reinsert the drive...
General Discussion
Microsoft: Windows 7 RC in 2 Months, RTM in as Early as 6 Months
:D Microsoft: Windows 7 RC in 2 Months, RTM in as Early as 6 Months - Official confirmation of RC and RTM deadlines - Softpedia
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App