Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit

17 Nov 2009   #11
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Yeah well I have a broken DVD drive which won't work with DVDs. If I want to wipe I have to install Windows XP, then install Daemon tools and go from there. I know it's a current problem which I'm working on. I'm doing that by waiting for blue ray prices to go down. =S


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Nov 2009   #12
coolfire

7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I have also just successfully did a clean install from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 7 Home Premium 64-bit through booting from the DVD, and indeed, all my old stuff are in the 'windows.old' folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2009   #13
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by coolfire View Post
I have also just successfully did a clean install from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 7 Home Premium 64-bit through booting from the DVD, and indeed, all my old stuff are in the 'windows.old' folder.
You booted the installer DVD and selected Custom install and it saved a windows.old folder? This is the first I've heard of this. It supposedly only saves windows.old files if run from Windows.

Obviously you didn't use the advanced drive options to format?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Nov 2009   #14
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

You don't have to, if you have windows on the computer and you boot from DVD (boot off bios) it still saves windows.old.... It's been doing it for a while now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #15
gregrocker

 

I always format using Installer and have never gotten an windows.old folder, so that must be the exception?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #16
coolfire

7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
You don't have to, if you have windows on the computer and you boot from DVD (boot off bios) it still saves windows.old.... It's been doing it for a while now.
Yup, that's spot on!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I always format using Installer and have never gotten an windows.old folder, so that must be the exception?
I think it is because you carry out a format? I remember Brink mentioning before that one does not need to format because a custom install also wipes out existing data...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #17
mushroomboy

Windows 7, Linux
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by coolfire View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mushroomboy View Post
You don't have to, if you have windows on the computer and you boot from DVD (boot off bios) it still saves windows.old.... It's been doing it for a while now.
Yup, that's spot on!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I always format using Installer and have never gotten an windows.old folder, so that must be the exception?
I think it is because you carry out a format? I remember Brink mentioning before that one does not need to format because a custom install also wipes out existing data...

Yep! And the BCD will automatically remove the entry for an old windows once you delete the windows.old! (or it'll remove the rollback option).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can my PC CPU be upgraded
I have a Gateway GT5668E with a dual core 3.0 Athlon and want to upgrade the CPU to another AMD one. How can I know what my PC can handle? Here are the specs: Gateway Support - Specifications
Hardware & Devices
Just upgraded
I just upgraded to the latest Ivy Bridge. I pretty happy with it. Multi tasking seems much smoother now things seem to load up just hair faster. Haven't had a chance to fire up a game yet since it was late by the time I finished. I only upgraded the CPU, Motherboard and Ram. Specs listed...
Chillout Room
What can my GPU be upgraded to?
Hi all, I was looking at upgrading my video card on my Acer Aspire 5742G and I was wondering what I need to consider in terms of what graphics cards can be used in my laptop? It currently has an NVidia GT 520M 1GB and I want to upgrade it to a 2GB card if I can. I figure I can stay in the...
Graphic Cards
Upgraded to Win 7 pro
Have recently upgraded to windows 7 pro on a nice new 1TB hard drive. I have removed the previously installed win xp drive, and that is now in an external caddy. I have been in the pricess of moving the files from the xp drive to the win7 drive. I forgto to backup my IE8 bookmarks before the...
General Discussion
Upgraded from x86 to x64
Hey guys, I upgraded to x64 and I do notice a nice speed change. But, when looking at my hard drive I notice a folder called Programs Files (x84). Is this safe to delete? If so, how can I delete it? Thanks guys!
General Discussion
Now that I upgraded to 7
can I use my vista recovery disc to go back to vista ?(don't plan on it) I forgot to write down my product key ! ! ! !
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App