Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.

Windows 7: Migrating from Dell T7400 to T7910

12 May 2016   #1
JoeJoe2

7 ultimate

Migrating from Dell T7400 to T7910

Hi guys,
Will be migrating off my old but reliable t7400 to a t7910. Will be using my monitors and video card, but am going from raid scsi to non-raid ssd. Obviously totally new chipsets throughout. I was thinking that maybe a systems backup/disk image would work, but some folks say no way. Migrating my software after all these years of updates and patches will be a pain, so don't know best way. Thoughts?
Appreciate any input.
Joe

My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2016   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

Win 7 is generally more tolerant of being migrated to new chipsets than earlier Windows versions.

You might try it and see how far into hell that takes you. You can always bail out and do a clean install.

If you have an OEM version of Windows, rather than retail, you may eventually run into licensing and Windows Update issues regardless.

I'd probably try to "de-raid" the existing setup before making an image. Why ask for more complications?

I'm rebuilding myself right now--from a 5 plus year old i5-2500 with a P67 chipset to a current generation i5-6600K with a Z170 chipset. That's about 4 generations of processors and motherboards.

I did a clean install, but just for laughs and out of curiosity I did hook up the old hard drive from the i5-2500 to the new motherboard and it did boot up to a desktop. Didn't look to good, but it was there. I have no idea how many hours it would have taken to unf$$$ it or if I would ever have succeeded.

Macrium is probably the best tool if you want to do the imaging thing.

You can also look into Paragon Adaptive Restore, which tries to help adapt to new hardware. They generally make good software, but not a lot of people around here have tried it.

I think a paid version of Macrium might also include the capability to adapt to new hardware. Haven't heard how well it works.

You can help yourself out by taking extensive notes on your existing software and configuration nuances that you can refer to later. You'll probably be downloading a bunch of new versions.
14 May 2016   #3
JoeJoe2

7 ultimate

Thanks a ton for the great info.
Joe

26 May 2016   #4
JoeJoe2

7 ultimate

Hi All,
Decided to do the manual route and clean up a lot of obsolete entries.
A couple issues.
1. My video card (MSI GTX980 was too high for the 7910. It has 2-3 inches less height due to the configuration.

2. Windows update refused to work. I Used these two links to get it going.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/968003
https://www.infopackets.com/news/960...te-wont-update

3. Picky about processes and noticed Intel capability licensing service running and a Intel component monitoring program installed via control panel. Did not like the smell of it (remote monitor etc), and removed it. Shutdown was faster, web access faster and lost 4 processes. Any info on this program?
Thanks for all the help
Joe
26 May 2016   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit

I've got a completely different PC than you, but................

The only Intel thing I have in control panel is "Intel HD Graphics".

I don't use video cards.

Right now, I have what I think are 3 Intel processes running:

igfxem.exe
igfxhk.exe
igfxtray.exe

I assume they are all related to my Intel integrated video. They total only 7 mb of memory, so very light weight.

I have 8 Intel services, including capability licensing but not component monitoring.

3 of the 8 are set to manual. The other 5 are set to automatic. All are defaults---I didn't change anything.

6 of the 8 show as "started" right now.

Capability licensing is 1 of the 2 that are NOT started.

In msconfig, I show 14 non-Microsoft services, of which 8 are Intel and 3 are related to anti-virus or anti-malware. All but 3 are shown as "running" right now.

Your mileage will differ. I generally don't fiddle with services unless I am having clear-cut performance issues and have a very very good reason to think that stopping a service would improve things.
27 May 2016   #6
JoeJoe2

7 ultimate

Thanks again for the info.
At best, these Intel processes are for laptop/mobile.
Still do not know how they got installed as I have updates notify only.

I did notice some performance degrade (slight), and additional tasks a few days back
and isolated it to these. Did not need them before, so killed them to see the difference.

I still am very curious about these programs and wonder how benign they are.

Migrating from Dell T7400 to T7910