Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Migrate Win7 system to a larger SSD

19 Jun 2016   #1
squirrel123

Windows 7
 
 
Migrate Win7 system to a larger SSD

I've got a Lenovo laptop running Win7. The laptop came with a 128GB SSD which is great, but I'm running out of space for software. I've bought a 250GB SSD and I want to upgrade.

I run my small business off this machine, and all software is set up 'just right,' so starting from scratch and reinstalling programs is the last resort. A system breakdown/data loss would be even worse

I have lots of spare HDDs and SATA docks and USB sticks that I can use to copy data. I just don't know how to deal with Master Boot Records or whatever

Here's my idea, will this work?

1) Boot the 128GB system
2) Plug in the 250GB SSD into a SATA/USB dock
3) Use Minitool Partition Wizard to copy the Win7 partitions (including the 100MB 'system' partition) to the 250GB SSD
4) physically remove the 128GB ssd and replace with the 250GB ssd
5) boot up from teh 250GB ssd
6) Use Minitool Partition Wizard to expand the 128GB partition to fill the entire 250GB SDD


All replies appreciated


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jun 2016   #2
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

Easiest way (and how I did it when I converted to SSD) is to use Macrium Reflect and make a disc Image (NOT Clone) of the entire disc, all partitions. Restore that image to the new SSD.

Macrium Software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2016   #3
squirrel123

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Easiest way (and how I did it when I converted to SSD) is to use Macrium Reflect and make a disc Image (NOT Clone) of the entire disc, all partitions. Restore that image to the new SSD.

Macrium Software
Ok
something like this?

1) Boot the 128GB system
2) Plug in the 250GB SSD into a SATA/USB dock
3) Use Macrium Reflect to make a disk image of the 128GB ssd with all partitions
4) Restore image to the 250GB ssd
5) physically remove the 128GB ssd and replace with the 250GB ssd
6) boot up from the 250GB ssd
7) Use Minitool Partition Wizard to expand the 128GB partition to fill the entire 250GB SDD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jun 2016   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squirrel123 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Easiest way (and how I did it when I converted to SSD) is to use Macrium Reflect and make a disc Image (NOT Clone) of the entire disc, all partitions. Restore that image to the new SSD.

Macrium Software
Ok
something like this?

1) Boot the 128GB system
2) Plug in the 250GB SSD into a SATA/USB dock
3) Use Macrium Reflect to make a disk image of the 128GB ssd with all partitions
4) Restore image to the 250GB ssd
5) physically remove the 128GB ssd and replace with the 250GB ssd
6) boot up from the 250GB ssd
7) Use Minitool Partition Wizard to expand the 128GB partition to fill the entire 250GB SDD
That would likely work. You might consider avoiding the dock in case it causes complications.

You need somewhere to store that image file. I assume you have an external you can use for that purpose.

You may not need to include "all partitions" in the image file, depending on your setup. Data can just be copied manually, without reliance on Macrium.

You should make Macrium recovery media so you can recover in those instances where you have a defective drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2016   #5
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

I didn't have to expand the partition. You only need to do that if "Clone", and you are using Disc Image to "backup" the entire drive (all partitions) to some external media. You "restore" from the external media to the new SSD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2016   #6
squirrel123

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You might consider avoiding the dock in case it causes complications.
what would you suggest as an alternative?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2016   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squirrel123 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You might consider avoiding the dock in case it causes complications.
what would you suggest as an alternative?
Make the image of the 128, storing it on an external drive, not the dock.

Remove the 128. Install the 250 in it's place. I assume the laptop cannot accommodate 2 internals.

Boot from Macrium recovery media and restore from the external to the 250.

Either method could work or fail. It's just an alternative.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2016   #8
squirrel123

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by squirrel123 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You might consider avoiding the dock in case it causes complications.
what would you suggest as an alternative?
Make the image of the 128, storing it on an external drive, not the dock.

Remove the 128. Install the 250 in it's place. I assume the laptop cannot accommodate 2 internals.

Boot from Macrium recovery media and restore from the external to the 250.

Either method could work or fail. It's just an alternative.
by Macrium recovery media I assume you mean the image that I made of the 128.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2016   #9
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

No, you have to create a Macrium Recovery cd, that`s what you will boot from to put the image on the new ssd.

Open Macrium and up top you`ll see Other Tasks, click that and you`ll see Create Rescue Media


Attached Thumbnails
Migrate Win7 system to a larger SSD-capture.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jun 2016   #10
squirrel123

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
No, you have to create a Macrium Recovery cd, that`s what you will boot from to put the image on the new ssd.

Open Macrium and up top you`ll see Other Tasks, click that and you`ll see Create Rescue Media
cool thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Migrate Win7 system to a larger SSD




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Migrate to larger SSD
I have a 111 GB (real GB) SSD, and it is just about full. On my shelf I have a new, empty, 240 GB (marketing size) SSD I'd like to use to replace the old drive. Is the replacement simply a matter of these steps: Create a system image in my USB backup drive Create a fresh system repair disk...
Backup and Restore
upgrading SSD: need to migrate/clone one SSD to larger SSD.
I have a HTPC with a 30gb Kingston SSD. I'm upgrading this drive with a 120GB Kingston SSD. My question is, is there anything special I need to do? I'm just planning on cracking the case, plugging the larger SSD into one of the available SATA ports on the mobo, supply power to the drive and...
Backup and Restore
Migrate Win7 Hp Edition to new ssd
Hello all. I just bought a new Hp Pavilion dv7-6b11. It comes with preinstalled Win7 64bit Home Premium. I also installed a new ssd drive. I want to have as primary the ssd with Win7 and secondary the original hdd. What is the best way to do it? I mean i want the Hp's Win7 version to be installed...
Installation & Setup
Need to migrate Windows.old after changing from Win7 Ult to Win7 Home
Hi I installed Win 7 Ultimate onto my brothers Win 7 Home Edn laptop. I didn't realise at first and he has done quite a bit of work on it since the installation, on iTunes and the like. I only noticed the error when trying to activate windows and, of course, as the laptop is Home Edn, and I used...
Installation & Setup
Migrate system from 32bit to 64bit
I did ask a question about this some time ago and discovered that there was no easy way to do it (I'd thought to use Macrium Reflect). I recently saw that there is now a facility within Macrium Reflect - Redeploy - that reads as if it could be used. Does anyone know whether this would be...
Installation & Setup
Advice on Steps to Migrate Apps Hard drive to larger Disk
I have my O/S disk ( C: ) sepeated from My Applications disc ( D: ) . Then I store all my Data on other Harddrives. I want to upgrade my applications disk to a larger capacity, but I worry about maintaining the integrity of Disknames (IDs) so I won't have to re-install all my Applications...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App