Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Win 7 on slow XP machine


19 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7 / XP service pack 3
 
 
Installing Win 7 on slow XP machine

I have an old (3.5 years) XP machine that is maxed out on RAM, with 3.5 GB. But it is still slow. I've done all that needs to be done and it still thrashes a lot. I'm thinking about putting Win 7 on it. What is the general consensus of installing Win 7 on a slow, older machine? Thanks for any advice!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Nov 2009   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
I have an old (3.5 years) XP machine that is maxed out on RAM, with 3.5 GB. But it is still slow. I've done all that needs to be done and it still thrashes a lot. I'm thinking about putting Win 7 on it. What is the general consensus of installing Win 7 on a slow, older machine? Thanks for any advice!
Hi Cherivo! Welcome to SevenForums! Please can you fill out your System Specs by going to User CP at the top right, and clicking "System Specs" and filling it out.

1st of all, just because a machine is old, doesn't necessarily mean it's slow. Outdated it might be, but better Graphics Cards, CPUs etc... are released every year or so. And no-one in their right minds would upgrade it every year.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
I've done all that needs to be done and it still thrashes a lot.
What do you mean by this?

I'll need your System Specs before I can help anymore. Try checking Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If I helped, click the scales above my post and click I Approve.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 / XP service pack 3
 
 

Thank you, Zeshana. I updated my specs, but since I have two machines, there isn't a good way to list specs for both. So, I put specs for both machines on the same page.

My older desktop does meet the Windows 7 system requirements and I have done the Upgrade Advisor. What I mean by doing all that I can to speed it up includes: defrag, upgrade RAM to 3.5 (most useable), registry cleanup through Norton 360, general cleanup of unused software, although I do have 168 GB of free space.

It also has trouble shutting down and I have to shut down and end unresponsive programs several times before it will actually shut down. Memory leak, maybe? I don't know how to fix that. Any other ideas? I was just hoping Win 7 would be my savior and fix all my problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Nov 2009   #4

Win7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
Thank you, Zeshana. I updated my specs, but since I have two machines, there isn't a good way to list specs for both. So, I put specs for both machines on the same page.

My older desktop does meet the Windows 7 system requirements and I have done the Upgrade Advisor. What I mean by doing all that I can to speed it up includes: defrag, upgrade RAM to 3.5 (most useable), registry cleanup through Norton 360, general cleanup of unused software, although I do have 168 GB of free space.

It also has trouble shutting down and I have to shut down and end unresponsive programs several times before it will actually shut down. Memory leak, maybe? I don't know how to fix that. Any other ideas? I was just hoping Win 7 would be my savior and fix all my problems.
I've got 7 running fine on a 5+ year old HP Pavilon A643n (AMD 64 Athlon 3200+) with just 1GB (that's all the M/B will support) or RAM. I also have 7 on an Acer netbook, which we all know is no speed demon, and 7 requites itself nicely on both machines. I didn't anticipate any issues because I'd been running the beta and RC1 for ages on the HP w/o problems. I'm glad to see MS make an OS that older machines can handle with aplomb.

I also have 7 on a 2yr old Toshiba lappy which has a zippier processor than the other 2 machines and I don't see much of a difference in obvious performance, even though it stands to reason that the Toshiba should be faster. I know the raw performance of the Toshiba is much better than the HP because I can encode a movie in 1/2 the time it takes on the HP, but that's a function of the processor and RAM, rather than the OS, which in this case, is identical.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #5

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
It also has trouble shutting down and I have to shut down and end unresponsive programs several times before it will actually shut down. Memory leak, maybe? I don't know how to fix that. Any other ideas? I was just hoping Win 7 would be my savior and fix all my problems.
Many of those symptoms appear after XP has been installed for long enough to acquire a registry cluttered with installations and deletions etc. So a fresh install of any OS will make it responsive again. I've just been through that on an older XP machine. Windows 7 would probably do fine with the candy (Aero) turned off. It is certainly an easier install in that it seems to find the drivers on its own instead of you having to hand feed it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Retail)
 
 

I put 7 on a 5 year old T42p with 1 GB of ram and it's running great on it. I was quite surprised by how snappy it is on that old machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
It also has trouble shutting down and I have to shut down and end unresponsive programs several times before it will actually shut down. Memory leak, maybe? I don't know how to fix that. Any other ideas? I was just hoping Win 7 would be my savior and fix all my problems.
Many of those symptoms appear after XP has been installed for long enough to acquire a registry cluttered with installations and deletions etc. So a fresh install of any OS will make it responsive again. I've just been through that on an older XP machine. Windows 7 would probably do fine with the candy (Aero) turned off. It is certainly an easier install in that it seems to find the drivers on its own instead of you having to hand feed it.
I think a good clean install will fix this problem. By the way you describe it it looks like you do have a lot of software that may be corrupted or needs reinstallation already ("cluttered")

A clean installation will get rid of these issues and you get to use a fresh sytem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #8

Win7/Win8 32bit Dual Boot
 
 

I installed Win 7 from XP (clean install) and it's very fast!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7 / XP service pack 3
 
 

You all have been very helpful! Thank you. Approval scales all around! As soon as I finish this college course, I will upgrade. I have great hopes. I suppose I could just reinstall most of my apps, but I'd have to do that anyway when I upgrade the OS, so I'll do it all then. I bet my registry does have a lot of extraneous stuff in it, although I had RegCure for a while and ran that frequently. Anyway, thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo View Post
You all have been very helpful! Thank you. Approval scales all around! As soon as I finish this college course, I will upgrade. I have great hopes. I suppose I could just reinstall most of my apps, but I'd have to do that anyway when I upgrade the OS, so I'll do it all then. I bet my registry does have a lot of extraneous stuff in it, although I had RegCure for a while and ran that frequently. Anyway, thanks again.
You generally find that Windows 7 runs on older hardware without any issues. I've got an old AMD Athlon 1.3GHz with only 512MB ram at work, and 7 works on there with no problems.

But as for your mentioning "RegCure", I'll say to you what I say to all the lost souls who come into my workshop with similar questions:

Are you knowledgable enough about the inner workings of the registry, and do you have enough confidence in your computer skills to go into the registry and make the edits yourself? If your answer is "No", then why do you rely on a third-party utility do to that work for you? Are you 100% sure that the "fixes" and "cures" it recommends are indeed safe to perform? The registry is just too important to system stability to casually make changes without knowing what the consequences would be.

The moral of the story: STAY AWAY FROM REGISTRY CLEANERS AND FIXERS! They do more harm than good.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Win 7 on slow XP machine




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Installing Win 7 on slow XP machine
Thread Forum
Solved Slow LAN copy Speed on Win 7 64 machine Network & Sharing
Installing 32 bit OS on a machine running 64 bit OS. General Discussion
Solved Installing 32 bit OS on a machine running 64 bit OS. Installation & Setup
Machine is slow to start-up after system updates General Discussion
Installing OS on Virtual machine Virtualization
Solved 8-Core, overclocked machine slow... Performance & Maintenance
Installing on more than one machine Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33