Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Vista 32bit -> 7 64bit


27 Nov 2009   #1

Windows Vista
 
 
Vista 32bit -> 7 64bit

Hi,

I've got a question.
Currently I am using a PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
I am considering a Windows 7 upgrade
But about one thing I'm not sure:
Windos Vista -> Windows 7 Ultimate is no problem,
HOWEVER, is it possible to do an upgrade from an 32 to 64 bit OS?
Its no problem in the full version, but is it possible for the Upgrade version as well?
In conclusion, I want to upgrade Vista (32bit) to 7 Ultimate (64bit).
Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Nov 2009   #2

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Hi. You will need a clean install and not upgrade. Can't go from x86 to x64 or vice-versa.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datbenik View Post
Hi,

I've got a question.
Currently I am using a PC running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
I am considering a Windows 7 upgrade
But about one thing I'm not sure:
Windos Vista -> Windows 7 Ultimate is no problem,
HOWEVER, is it possible to do an upgrade from an 32 to 64 bit OS?
Its no problem in the full version, but is it possible for the Upgrade version as well?
In conclusion, I want to upgrade Vista (32bit) to 7 Ultimate (64bit).
Thanks in advance!
The tutorial section of this forum has some helpful guides on performing the upgrade.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Nov 2009   #4

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datbenik
In conclusion, I want to upgrade Vista (32bit) to 7 Ultimate (64bit).
Thanks in advance!
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
The tutorial section of this forum has some helpful guides on performing the upgrade.
??? Not in this instance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #5

Windows Vista
 
 

I know i have to perform a clean install, since 32 and 64 bit structures are totally different or something like that :P

However, if I buy a Windows 7 Ultimate UPGRADE, will I be able to perform a CLEAN installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit? Because the upgrade thing is just inserting your current Product Key (of Vista) ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datbenik View Post
I know i have to perform a clean install, since 32 and 64 bit structures are totally different or something like that :P

However, if I buy a Windows 7 Ultimate UPGRADE, will I be able to perform a CLEAN installation of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit? Because the upgrade thing is just inserting your current Product Key (of Vista) ?



Yes you can do a clean install. You do not even have to put in your Vista product key. The DVD can

recognize if you have a qualifying system. In fact if you have 32 bit and want to go to 64, you must do a clean install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #7

Windows Vista
 
 

Alright then!
So I can buy the Upgrade of Windows 7 and install the 64 bit version even though im currently using Vista 32? (right? O.o)
Will the setup ask me whether i want to install the 32 or the 64 version?
Thanks a lot!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by datbenik View Post
Alright then!
So I can buy the Upgrade of Windows 7 and install the 64 bit version even though im currently using Vista 32? (right? O.o)
Will the setup ask me whether i want to install the 32 or the 64 version?
Thanks a lot!
To make sure we are on the same page. You must do a clean install, but you can do a clean install with an upgrade DVD. I am not getting this from literature, I did it myself and I love my new OS.

You will receive a 32 bit and 64 bit dvd Insert the 64 bit.


This will be a lot easier than you think. Install and enjoy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #9

Windows Vista
 
 

haha thank you
I just want to know it for sure.
Even though the upgrade is cheaper, its still a lot of money :P
but if you know it for sure, ill trust you
Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

I am assuming that you know that the computer requirments for 64 are a bit more than 32 bit, be sure that your computer is ready for 64.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Vista 32bit -> 7 64bit




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Vista 32bit -> 7 64bit
Thread Forum
Upgrading to Windows 7 64bit from Vista 32bit Installation & Setup
Moving HDD from Vista 32bit to W7 64bit General Discussion
Upgrade from 32bit vista to 64bit win7 possible? Installation & Setup
Vista (32bit) TO 7 (64bit) Installation & Setup
going from 32bit vista home premium to win 7 (64bit) Installation & Setup
Vista 64bit to W7 32bit Installation & Setup
sharing between win7 64bit and vista 32bit Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33