Hi. I'm currently running windows xp sp3. I apologise for the long post but i have a number of questions prior to taking the plunge and upgrading to windows 7 - the more i read the more nervous i get. I am an average home user not really tech savvy but not a technophobe either.
1. my computer has 3 hard drives (separate hard drives not partitions). At the moment i have xp installed on drive c with all my programs, i have my documents and pictures on a second drive and use the thrid drive for more storage. (i am open to suggestions as to whether this is a good setup). Each drive is 250gig and i have at least 100gig of photos.
My question is how easy will it be to set up windows 7 the same way - can i move the my pictures and my documents folder to a different hard drive?
and will windows automatically pick up that i have three hard drives when i install?
when i install windows 7 on drive c will the other 2 drives be affected if not how do i tehn tell windows 7 that thats where my pics and docs are already?
2. What is the benefit of formatting on install and if i select to format will it format all three drives?
3. I see microsoft recommends using easy transfer wizard - what does this program actually transfer and does it let me decide which files and setting i want to move across as there are some programs i don't plan to install so i don't need to save their settings? If windows creates a windows old folder doesn't this do the same thing anyway? Will it recoginise the files i have on all my hard drives?
4. If i have installation disc of all my programs and backups of all my files would i be better off just manually setting up windows 7 as i want? mY main concern with this is does windows 7 automatically detect internet settings? and would i have to reinstall device drivers
that i would otherwise not have to?
5. does windows let you look at your pictures and organise into folders or do you have to download the windows live program to do what you can do in xp?