Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I install my Windows 7 on a 2nd machine?

28 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Can I install my Windows 7 on a 2nd machine?

I have Windows 7 installed on my main desktop (activated about 2 weeks ago) and I'd like to also install it on my laptop. I know legally speaking I'm only supposed to install in on one machine, but if I were to install it on my laptop, would there be a problem when it comes to activating it?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2009   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

You would be referred to a robo call where you would either be refused, or it would deactivate the key on the older installation in order to activate it on the new one.

Only one machine at a time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justjax View Post
I have Windows 7 installed on my main desktop (activated about 2 weeks ago) and I'd like to also install it on my laptop. I know legally speaking I'm only supposed to install in on one machine, but if I were to install it on my laptop, would there be a problem when it comes to activating it?
If it's retail you might have a chance. If it's OEM, Upgrade you cannot.

You can however run in for 90 days until you buy a license. Every 30 days you would have to type in slmgr -rearm in an elevated command prompt.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You would be referred to a robo call where you would either be refused, or it would deactivate the key on the older installation in order to activate it on the new one.

Only one machine at a time.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by justjax View Post
I have Windows 7 installed on my main desktop (activated about 2 weeks ago) and I'd like to also install it on my laptop. I know legally speaking I'm only supposed to install in on one machine, but if I were to install it on my laptop, would there be a problem when it comes to activating it?
If it's retail you might have a chance. If it's OEM, Upgrade you cannot.
Well I have the student license upgrade version. I've got the RC version of Win 7 on the laptop at the moment, so I guess I'll just have to stick with that until it expiries/starts shutting down next March and maybe try and get another student priced copy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I install my Windows 7 on a 2nd machine?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33