Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: XP Pro License instead of XP Mode

30 Nov 2009   #11

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Running Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Premium is not against EULA, nor is it cracking or hacking. The ability to run it is provided by Microsoft along with the integration tools. There is no violation with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-2545b08e11dd
Quote:
Windows Virtual PC supports the following Host and Guest Operating systems:
  • Host: Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.
  • Guest: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Professional, Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Nov 2009   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Running Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Premium is not against EULA, nor is it cracking or hacking. The ability to run it is provided by Microsoft along with the integration tools. There is no violation with it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-2545b08e11dd
Quote:
Windows Virtual PC supports the following Host and Guest Operating systems:
  • Host: Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.
  • Guest: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Professional, Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.
The attached screenshot is from the official Virtual PC / XP Mode download site.

Kari


Attached Thumbnails
XP Pro License instead of XP Mode-xpm.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #13

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

XP Mode as Microsoft calls it is the licensed copy of Windows XP. With Home Premium you do not get that license, you must have your own. But Home Premium is allowed to run Virtual PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Nov 2009   #14

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Running Virtual PC on Windows 7 Home Premium is not against EULA, nor is it cracking or hacking. The ability to run it is provided by Microsoft along with the integration tools. There is no violation with it.

Download details: Windows Virtual PC
Quote:
Windows Virtual PC supports the following Host and Guest Operating systems:
  • Host: Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.
  • Guest: Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Professional, Windows Vista Enterprise Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Vista Business Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise.

I do like how MS allows you to run Virtual PC on Home Premium or Basic....however you cannot run a Home Premium or Home Basic as a guest...instead you have to use the professional, enterprise or ultimate versions.....which most people running Home Premium likely won't have.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #15

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I do like how MS allows you to run Virtual PC on Home Premium or Basic....however you cannot run a Home Premium or Home Basic as a guest...instead you have to use the professional, enterprise or ultimate versions.....which most people running Home Premium likely won't have.
Not an activated copy no. But it is perfectly legal and allowed within the EULA to run on the 120 day grace period. And as every DVD comes with every edition...But also to point out, there is nothing stopping you from running Home Premium within Virtual PC, Microsoft just will not support it if something goes wrong.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Nov 2009   #16

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Not an activated copy no. But it is perfectly legal and allowed within the EULA to run on the 120 day grace period. And as every DVD comes with every edition...But also to point out, there is nothing stopping you from running Home Premium within Virtual PC, Microsoft just will not support it if something goes wrong.
Yeah, you are likely right. No biggie though, as I use VMware/VirtualBox and I have MSDN at work for licensing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
My answer was based on the facts published by Microsoft. Like always, I do not give tips or answers which include some hacking / cracking and / or violates the EULA (End User Licence Agreement).
I'm surprised it needs to be said, but you do know that Virtual PC 2007 and XP Mode are two entirely different products, right?

I'm running Virtual PC 2007 on two Windows 7 systems, and running various OSes in them as guests, including Windows 7 Basic, Server 2008, etc. neither of these systems have hardware VT, so XP Mode wasn't an option.

If the Microsoft options are too confusing (in terms of what's supported, what's allowed, etc), then there's always VirtualBox, which is completely free as well, and even (easily) allows Linux guests as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jul 2011   #18

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

As it turned out, Windows XP mode worked great. No virtual software was required.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 XP Pro License instead of XP Mode




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: XP Pro License instead of XP Mode
Thread Forum
XP Mode on Home Premium w/ OEM license? Virtualization
too much license Windows Updates & Activation
32-Bit License v.s. 64-Bit License Windows Updates & Activation
Cant install a dat license in XP mode Virtualization
License General Discussion
Buy another license General Discussion
Get a second license? General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33