Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Installing Windows 7 Hangs

02 Dec 2009   #1

Windows XP
 
 
Installing Windows 7 Hangs

Hi

I have a Intel Core2 Duo 1.6 GHz with 4 GB RAM desktop. I am trying to install Windows 7 on it.

Initial step in which it copies installation files to the hard disk goes well.

Then system reboots

After showing the initial screen (the Windows 7 Logo) screen, it takes me to the a Blue Wallpaper screen and just sits there

No Messages or Progress Information
Minimal Disk Activity
Mouse cursor is moveable
Keyboard is responsive

I have tried both 32- and 64-bit versions - but it always get stuck there
I have Intel 915 RYCK Motherboard with On-board Video, Sound and Network cards.

Can't seem to figure out what is issue
any help would be appreciated

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ronin1770 View Post
Hi

I have a Intel Core2 Duo 1.6 GHz with 4 GB RAM desktop. I am trying to install Windows 7 on it.

Initial step in which it copies installation files to the hard disk goes well.

Then system reboots

After showing the initial screen (the Windows 7 Logo) screen, it takes me to the a Blue Wallpaper screen and just sits there

No Messages or Progress Information
Minimal Disk Activity
Mouse cursor is moveable




Keyboard is responsive

I have tried both 32- and 64-bit versions - but it always get stuck there
I have Intel 915 RYCK Motherboard with On-board Video, Sound and Network cards.

Can't seem to figure out what is issue
any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Deactivate your firewall and anti virus
unattach everything except mouse, keyboard and monitor
Go to MS upgrade advisor, see if any problems are detected. This is done prior to installing again
Do a clean/custom install
If you download, ISO, make sure you burn at only 4x speed
If you have more than 2gb of memory, remove excess
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #3

Windows XP
 
 

I have run the upgrade advisor which reports no issues only that i can't use Aero because i don't have graphic card
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Dec 2009   #4

7600.20510 x86
 
 

See if there is a setting for Plug and Play OS in the bios. Set it to yes if there is.

Sometimes. just letting it sit for a while is what is needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #5

Windows XP
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GuaranT View Post
See if there is a setting for Plug and Play OS in the bios. Set it to yes if there is.

Sometimes. just letting it sit for a while is what is needed.
i did - for around 45 minutes
then i got tired - used different ISOs and installation CDs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 professional
 
 

I have a similar experience, and for brevity here's the key bits

Fitted new HDD to my original m/board and installed Windows 7 x64 (clean install). Ran fine but each time the PC was re-started the HDD was not recognised. Quick check showed m/board was not compatible.

Bought new AMD bundle last night and fitted HDD. Fails to get beyond Windows startup screen before a brief flash of Blue Screen Of Death

Booted from genuine Windows 7 x64 disk, go through the installation process and I too fail at 0%. It took 20 mins to get to 1% but no further (even left it overnight).

I have tried the orginal ISO image boot disk from my 1st install, and have elected to do the "Format Disk" as part of the setup. I have put HDD in non-RAID and RAID modes and have chosen the appropriate driver during the install process. No matter what I do I cannot get through "Expanding Files".

So, any assistance most welcome!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Dec 2009   #7

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JohnFol View Post
I have a similar experience, and for brevity here's the key bits

Fitted new HDD to my original m/board and installed Windows 7 x64 (clean install). Ran fine but each time the PC was re-started the HDD was not recognised. Quick check showed m/board was not compatible.

Bought new AMD bundle last night and fitted HDD. Fails to get beyond Windows startup screen before a brief flash of Blue Screen Of Death

Booted from genuine Windows 7 x64 disk, go through the installation process and I too fail at 0%. It took 20 mins to get to 1% but no further (even left it overnight).

I have tried the orginal ISO image boot disk from my 1st install, and have elected to do the "Format Disk" as part of the setup. I have put HDD in non-RAID and RAID modes and have chosen the appropriate driver during the install process. No matter what I do I cannot get through "Expanding Files".

So, any assistance most welcome!
Put your HDD in non-RAID if not using RAID, as it seems here.

Then make a bootable USB installation key and install from that.

To boot to the USB key, you will probably have to tell bios to boot from HDD and then choose the USB in another setting. Each bios is different so I can't tell you exactly how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 professional
 
 

Thanks for the suggestions. I finally installed Wednesday night (see below) with 1 HDD in non-raid mode, but received a 2nd free one just yesterday. Activating the RAID prevents Windows from booting (probably as I hand't loaded the drivers)

So I may have tracked down the issue to a GeForce GTS 250 graphics card.

I read about a BIOS setting for a memory hole so tried that - install hangs
Removed all but 1 x 2Gb SIMM - install hangs
Removed graphics card and used built in graphics - install goes through.

1 frustration was installing from a genuine Windows disk failed with my product license key. Installing from the downloaded ISO worked with the same key.

I'm now going to do a search for any issues with the card to see if others have the same problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows 7 Hangs





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33