I apologize in advance if this exact scenario has been detailed previously. if it has, please simply point me to the right post. if not, then any advice/ideas will be appreciated.
I'm running a 320 gb drive on a sammy n120 netbook dual booting xp pro and 7 ultimate. my 7 install went perfectly, and I'm happy with it enough to make the switch to 7 permanently. I currently have a 35gb partition where 7 lives, and I would like to keep it that way. I do not
want to 'reclaim' the rest of the drive to create one whole 7 partition. I would like to use the rest of the drive (the existing xp partition) for my data. I've always preferred to have my OS on one partition and my data on another.
so my parameters seem to be as follows:
- I have backed up all my data to an external drive and have tested using it from within 7. that is the least of my worries.
- I am also not worried about program data. I will reinstall all programs on the 7 side.
- I need to find out how to format the xp partition in order to create an NTFS data partition.
- I also need to remove the dual-boot screen and just have the thing boot into 7. this seems to be the part with which I'm least familiar.
- any advice on moving picasa onto a backup drive and then onto the new data partition without losing my edit history and albums would be great. I have had terrible luck in the past with the 'backup' options in picasa (that include the piacsa exe file).
- is 35gb enough for the 7 OS partition?
I imagine that this scenario is not uncommon, so perhaps people have figured it all out already, and perhaps this will start a good thread that will help others in the future. thank you all.