Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Big Problem Need help Please!!!!


18 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 
Big Problem Need help Please!!!!

it's been 5 years since i last built my computer. Decided to build it again for Windows 7.
Here is my computer setup. Everything is brand new.
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955
Memory: Mushkin DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5750 1GB
HDD: Seagate 80 GB (Both SATA)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (legit copy, not a pirated one)
PSU: ULTRA 600Watts


I connect everything and boot up from DVD.
1. On first try the computer just froze when the "Starting Windows" screen with the new logo came up. sat there for 2 hrs. then i restarted the install
2. On second try, the went all the way up to extracting files and then restarted by itself and still nothing.
3. On the third try it again froze at the starting windows screen.

So then i decided to go back to Vista. but this new setup won't even install vista anymore. Freezes at random points during the installation.

I am running the minimum no of hardware and I just don't know what else to try. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Dec 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lhayher View Post
it's been 5 years since i last built my computer. Decided to build it again for Windows 7.
Here is my computer setup. Everything is brand new.
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT
Processor:AMD Phenom II X4 955
Memory: Mushkin DDR3 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5750 1GB
HDD: Seagate 80 GB (Both SATA)
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (legit copy, not a pirated one)
PSU: ULTRA 600Watts


I connect everything and boot up from DVD.
1. On first try the computer just froze when the "Starting Windows" screen with the new logo came up. sat there for 2 hrs. then i restarted the install
2. On second try, the went all the way up to extracting files and then restarted by itself and still nothing.
3. On the third try it again froze at the starting windows screen.

So then i decided to go back to Vista. but this new setup won't even install vista anymore. Freezes at random points during the installation.

I am running the minimum no of hardware and I just don't know what else to try. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
Hi and welcome

First if you can go into bios. If there is a setting for max cpu, max ram, or legacy floppy support unchck them.
Pull all but abt 1 gig of ram. If the dvd is from a download you may need to download it again and reburn it onto dvd.
Let us know how it turns out.

Ken J+
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Hi and welcome

First if you can go into bios. If there is a setting for max cpu, max ram, or legacy floppy support unchck them.
Pull all but abt 1 gig of ram. If the dvd is from a download you may need to download it again and reburn it onto dvd.
Let us know how it turns out.

Ken J+
Thanks Ken,

Thanks for the quick reply,

I only have 2 sticks of ram, 2 GB each, I've tried with just one in there and still the same result.
The DVD is a download but I know the dvd is fine because after the second error, i used it to install windows 7 on my laptop and it worked like a charm.
I had also disabled floppy support and had 1st boot from cd/dvd, 2nd boot from HDD and 3rd boot disabled.
i have also cleared my CMOS (there is a push switch on the motherboard itself) then reset the boot sequence and tried it all again.

I should also mention that i don't have any on-board video card so i have to use the 5750.

I believe this particular error is usually the case if you have an extra hardware connected to the computer but i have nothing extra connected. i even unplugged the front usb wires and the power and reset switches (again the motherboard has built in power, reset and clr CMOS switches that i use)

Although I could always give up and get a new computer from a big box store. I really really wanna figure out this issue just for the peace of my mind.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64 finally!
 
 

Hi Amit, I know the feeling
You apparently have a 1TB WD and a 80G Seagate. Do you have both connected while trying to install? Try with only one connected.
The fact that it won't install Vista now (have you formated the HDD before trying that?) makes me suspect you might have defective hardware, either the Motherboard or the memory.
If you can download Memtest and boot from it, try checking your memory, ideally for a few passes / hours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wallyinnc View Post
Hi Amit, I know the feeling
You apparently have a 1TB WD and a 80G Seagate. Do you have both connected while trying to install? Try with only one connected.
The fact that it won't install Vista now (have you formated the HDD before trying that?) makes me suspect you might have defective hardware, either the Motherboard or the memory.
If you can download Memtest and boot from it, try checking your memory, ideally for a few passes / hours.
Yes i do have the 1TB HDD but i use that for storage (untill i setup my home server) and had not connected it after the first error message.
I have formatted the hard drive before each reinstall attempt.

Unfortunately, I'm at work and the computer is at home. I'll try the memtest when i get home. (oh by the way your hyperlink is pointing to memtest.com i think you meant memtest.org right?)

I sure hope that its a faulty Hardware, otherwise it's back to square one.
Will keep everyone posted. (meanwhile i'm always open to more ideas)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

computer passed the memtest. still the same issue. any other ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

Try unplugging the WD data drive and run Seagate Seatools DOS bootable diagnostics on your Seagate, downloaded from the HD model support page.

Then use the zeroing feature to wipe your HD, format from the Windows 7 DVD and try installing to a confirmed clean HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Here is your board. GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (rev. 1.0)
Did you update to the latest bios?

I went to mushkin's site to look for your motherboard. I don't see it listed. GA-K/ GA-M/ GA-N Motherboards - Mushkin Enhanced

Nor do I see the mushkin listed under memory support list. http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memo...90fxt-ud5p.pdf

So I'm wondering if the mushkin memory is supported for your motherboard.

Min power for the 5750 is 450W so your ok there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2009   #9

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Try booting another OS like ubuntu.com and then boot that one
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Thanks for the replys everyone, Problem has been resolved (Kind of anyways)

I used the old setup that i had with my old Gigabyte motherboard, 1 gb ram (512 Kingston, 512 corsair) and ati radeon x1800 (which microsoft hardware compatibility website says is "Not compatible") and installed windows 7 on the seagate 80 GB.
Then i switched the motherboad, ram and the videocard and booted from the HDD. every thing worked fine except for my video card. it was not recognised (i'm running on windows generic display driver). So looks like i got a defective piece here. I'll be going back to the store to exchange it tomorrow and hopefully that should fix things up.

At least i know that the hardware for my future server is reliable and in some ways better than the new stuff

Will keep everyone posted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Big Problem Need help Please!!!!




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33