Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Load Driver: Required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver: HELP!


21 Dec 2009   #1

Vista Home Premium
 
 
Load Driver: Required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver: HELP!

Apparently, I am one of many who seem to be having this issue. And just like everybody else, I turned to Google for some answers. Here is my scenario (perhaps gregrocker could point me in the right direction?):

I am running on a laptop with the following specs:

Dell Studio 1735
32-bit Vista Home Premium, SP1
Intel 2 Core Duo, T8100 @ 2.10 GHz
250 GB SATA HDD, 5400 RPM
4 GBs of RAM
256 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
8x Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

I downloaded the .iso image of Windows 7 through the software program at Penn State and burned it to a DVD. When I restart my computer and boot off of the DVD drive, I get the Windows 7 Installation interface. As the setup begins, I get an error message that says "Load Driver" across the top of the window, and says "A required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver is missing". I tried a few things to circumvent this issue:

1. I swapped out the installation CD with one of the CD's that came with my laptop that contains all of my device drivers. It found one compatible driver for the ATA/ATAPI Controller, and despite selecting it and hitting next, it didn't work.

2. I took the service tag from my laptop, downloaded each and every driver that it's associated with, burned it to an .iso, and swapped THAT out when I tried to install. Again, nothing happened.

3. I mounted the .iso onto an 8GB Cruzer and made a bootable flash drive. Upon trying the install again, I had the same problem.

4. I tried to burn the image again on another DVD-R and got the same problem.

I am completely out of options and have no idea what to do. Ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2009   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

Try extracting the ISO to Vista desktop to run Setup from there.

You can locate the driver in Vista's Device Manager SATA controller Driver info tab.

The fact that it would duplicate the error for USB flash install sounds like a malfunction.

Try removing 2 gb of RAM.

Check BIOS version to see if you have the latest.

Checksum the HASH of the ISO you downloaded to confirm it here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...vd-iso-images/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #3

Vista Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Try running the installer from Vista.

The driver it is prompting for is the SATA controller, part of the chipset. Try loading the chipset into the installer if it will not run from Vista unimpeded, since Vista has the driver.
When I try to run the setup.exe of Windows 7, I get two error messages:

1. "F:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." ...

2. "The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt." ...

I forget the name of the chipset I have. For what it's worth, if you were to name a couple, I would know which one it is.

Any ideas where I go from here? Thanks again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2009   #4
Microsoft MVP

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WesSide View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Try running the installer from Vista.

The driver it is prompting for is the SATA controller, part of the chipset. Try loading the chipset into the installer if it will not run from Vista unimpeded, since Vista has the driver.
When I try to run the setup.exe of Windows 7, I get two error messages:

1. "F:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." ...

2. "The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt." ...

I forget the name of the chipset I have. For what it's worth, if you were to name a couple, I would know which one it is.

Any ideas where I go from here? Thanks again.
Are you trying to run 64 bit installer from 32 bit OS?

Checksum the HASH of the ISO you downloaded to confirm it here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...vd-iso-images/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #5

Vista Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WesSide View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Try running the installer from Vista.

The driver it is prompting for is the SATA controller, part of the chipset. Try loading the chipset into the installer if it will not run from Vista unimpeded, since Vista has the driver.
When I try to run the setup.exe of Windows 7, I get two error messages:

1. "F:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." ...

2. "The file 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt." ...

I forget the name of the chipset I have. For what it's worth, if you were to name a couple, I would know which one it is.

Any ideas where I go from here? Thanks again.
Checksum the HASH of the ISO you downloaded to confirm it here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...vd-iso-images/
All of those hashes are for Windows 7 Ultimate... I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional. Does it make a difference? Either way, I'll check.

The hashes for the .iso image of Windows 7 Professional I downloaded from the MSDNAA are as follows:

MD5: C8CCD33F8E0A8E9EBB008DAF0D71CC39
SHA-1: D69DA6ECA807D5423A19182585C44271DF3FF935
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #6

Vista Home Premium
 
 

I just checked my BIOS, and it is as follows:

BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc. A04, 8/1/2008
SMBIOS Version: 2.4

It's my assumption that this is the most up to date BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

32 bit?

MSDN HASH FAIL: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/0...-msdn-technet/

Reconfirm by loading SHA1 into Hashtab utility. May need to download the ISO again.

Recommended BIOS update A05: http://support.dell.com/support/down...mID=STUDIO1735
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #8

Vista Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
32 bit?

Check BIOS version on model's Support Downloads webpage
Yes. The raw name of the .iso is "en_windows_7_professional_x86_dvd_x15-65804", straight from the MSDNAA website.

Like I said, I have no idea where to turn.

To make matters worse, I am a sophomore double majoring in Information Sciences and Technology, and Security and Risk Analysis. I am pulling my hair out. Thanks again for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #9

Vista Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
32 bit?

Check BIOS version on model's Support Downloads webpage

MSDN HASH FAIL: Windows 7 ISO Downloads and Product Keys Live in MSDN TechNet My Digital Life
Ahh, I see the inconsistencies between the hash of my .iso and that of the ones posted on that site. What is the solution? Re-downloaded the .iso and burn it again?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #10
Microsoft MVP

 

Yes, first confirm the HASH fail by copying the SHA1 and ISO/CRC HASHes into Hashtab for auto-checking against checked sums.

Then redownload, verify HASH checksum, burn to DVD using ImgBurn at 4x with Verify Attachment 42896

You need to update your BIOS.

Also check what SATA controllers are set to. IDE emulation can cause this error. AHCI is preferred.

You might get the SATA controller driver in easier using a USB flash stick.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Load Driver: Required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver: HELP!




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33