Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: New Laptop...fresh install OEM


21 Dec 2009   #1

Windows: 7-Vista, Linux: Ubuntu-Sabayon
 
 
New Laptop...fresh install OEM

Hi all,
I'm about to buy a new laptop that will be shipped will all those annoying sw installed.
What I generally do it's a fresh start as soon as I get the pc.

I'd like to know if the sources found here Microsoft responds to Windows 7 student upgrade SNAFU with direct ISO download
will work to do a fresh install and then activate the copy using the serial (OEM) on the bottom of the machine
(basically what I need is just the source to wipe out the OS and start from scratch).

they say
Quote:
Also, don't bother downloading this ISO if you don't have a valid student-only product key. You'll probably be able to install it, but your key won't activate the OS.
but again....I want to do a fresh install using then my original OEM serial, NOT AN UPGRADE.

Are those the raw "sources" of the OS? (Win 7 HP, Pro - 32/64 bits)

Thanks for your feedbacks,
m.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2009   #2

Win7 Ultimate, x64
 
 

I did almost exactly that with my DW's machine. We pre-ordered 3 Windows 7 Home Premium upgrades. Her machine was delivered with Vista 32 on it, which was replaced with a pre-RM build of Windows 7. When the Windows 7 upgrade came from the manufacturer (with all the bloatware, of course) we slicked the machine, used the media that was "assigned" to another computer in the house and then activated with the Product Key that came with the disk from the manufacturer. We used the upgrade software to do a custom (clean) install. No muss, no fuss, no worries.

I suspect you will enjoy equal success.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #3

64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

You wont be able to use the OEM key to activate an upgrade version... However you can still do a "clean" install with the Student Upgrade disc... See Brinks tutorial on how to do this -=> Here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2009   #4

Windows: 7-Vista, Linux: Ubuntu-Sabayon
 
 

Thank you all for the quick replies.

Quote:
I did almost exactly that with my DW's machine. We pre-ordered 3 Windows 7 Home Premium upgrades. Her machine was delivered with Vista 32 on it, which was replaced with a pre-RM build of Windows 7. When the Windows 7 upgrade came from the manufacturer (with all the bloatware, of course) we slicked the machine, used the media that was "assigned" to another computer in the house and then activated with the Product Key that came with the disk from the manufacturer. We used the upgrade software to do a custom (clean) install. No muss, no fuss, no worries.

I suspect you will enjoy equal success.
The fact is that I have a win upgrade disk but is 32 bits while the laptop I'm about to buy will probably be a 64 machine (so, I cannot use the same disk, can I?)

Quote:
You wont be able to use the OEM key to activate an upgrade version
This is not what I want to do. I don't want to upgrade the OS installed on the machine, I want to use that ISO (I still don't know if my next OS will be HP or Pro...I'm downloading both anyway) to do a clean install and then use the OEM key to activate it (like a did with vista many times).


Quote:
However you can still do a "clean" install with the Student Upgrade disc...
I know how to do a clean install with an upgrade disk (I did it 3 or 4 times on 3 different machines), what I want to know is if, in your opinion, the aforementioned ISOs contain the raw OS that, once installed, can be activated with an OEM key or there is some kind of restriction on the downloadable source (something like..."this version can only be used to do an upgrade and WILL NOT work when using a different key").

Cheers,
m.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

All of the Windows 7 installers are the same with some versions hidden due to an ei.cfg file in Sources folder.

Extract the ISO files, remove that file, recompile into ISO to burn: Bootable ISO - Create from Installation Files

Now boot from DVD, select the version which is licensed to that machine, install and later at Computer>Properites activation link insert the Windows 7 key stickered to the machine.

Be aware that the keys on stickers nowadays are batch keys, however a robo call to MS can sort out your individual key from the batch. If you want to know your key to begin with, audit the installed keys using Belarc Advisor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #6

Windows: 7-Vista, Linux: Ubuntu-Sabayon
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
All of the Windows 7 installers are the same with some versions hidden due to an ei.cfg file in Sources folder.

Extract the ISO files, remove that file, recompile into ISO to burn: Bootable ISO - Create from Installation Files

Now boot from DVD, select the version which is licensed to that machine, install and later at Computer>Properites activation link insert the Windows 7 key stickered to the machine.
Thanks gregrocker, I had forgotten about the hack ei.cfg file in Sources folder..
(I actually downloaded HP and Pro...but at least I realized it in time so now I'm burning only one DVD ).
..I knew the rest (although, rather than vlite and WAIK, I simply used ImgBurn The Official ImgBurn Website to create a bootable ISO) and I've already installed the Ultimate edition on VirtualBox (to check if it worked...it did ).


Quote:
Be aware that the keys on stickers nowadays are batch keys, however a robo call to MS can sort out your individual key from the batch. If you want to know your key to begin with, audit the installed keys using Belarc Advisor.
What do you mean by this?....are you suggesting that before starting the procedure I should make my key "more valid"?
I'm not aware about this last point....could you be a bit more clear?

Thanks again,
m.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #7
Microsoft MVP

 

You want to use the key stickered to the computer which licenses the version you are reinstalling, correct?

Just be aware that the key on stickers is no longer the specific key for that machine but a batch key which will work anyway but requires a robocall to MS.

If you want to have the exact key, audit all of your installed keys before formatting using Belarc Advisor.

Do you have any specific questions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2009   #8

Windows: 7-Vista, Linux: Ubuntu-Sabayon
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You want to use the key stickered to the computer which licenses the version you are reinstalling, correct?

Just be aware that the key on stickers is no longer the specific key for that machine but a batch key which will work anyway but requires a robocall to MS.

If you want to have the exact key, audit all of your installed keys before formatting using Belarc Advisor.

Do you have any specific questions?
Nope..I got you now, I didn't know that.
Thanks man,
cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 New Laptop...fresh install OEM




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for: New Laptop...fresh install OEM
Thread Forum
BSOD Fresh Win7 Install - Brand new laptop - No AV installed BSOD Help and Support
Random BSOD occurring while handling laptop? [fresh W7 install] BSOD Help and Support
Fresh windows 7 install on my samsung R710 laptop Installation & Setup
Solved Windows 7 x64 cannot bootup after fresh install on Lenovo laptop HELP! Installation & Setup
Want to install fresh version on my laptop.. Windows Updates & Activation
Activating fresh install on preinstalled OEM laptop Windows Updates & Activation
Random BSOD - Fresh install, fresh system BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33