Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do i organize my partitions?

15 Jan 2010   #1
kasparovski

windows 7
 
 
How do i organize my partitions?

When i installed windows7 it came with 2 partitions c: and d:
everything is on c: and d: its clean
I would like to use c: just for the os and programs and d: just for data.
how do i do that?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2010   #2
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

You could start by reading this Brink's tutorial about relocating user folders. It gives you a good idea.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #3
kasparovski

windows 7
 
 

Thank you Kari. That's what i was looking for.
In fact i was already reading here some threads like that and as i thought it's not as easy as to drag n drop the folders. I really don't understand how doesn't windows as this option on install.
Anyway, since i already installed to many programs that need access to those folders on c: i think i'll just delete d: and continue to work on c: ...isn't this a good option? If it is can someone please point me the way on how to do this please? do i need to start a new thread with this question?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jan 2010   #4
noobvious

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 (desktop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kasparovski View Post
Thank you Kari. That's what i was looking for.
In fact i was already reading here some threads like that and as i thought it's not as easy as to drag n drop the folders. I really don't understand how doesn't windows as this option on install.
Anyway, since i already installed to many programs that need access to those folders on c: i think i'll just delete d: and continue to work on c: ...isn't this a good option? If it is can someone please point me the way on how to do this please? do i need to start i new thread with this question?
One drawback to having everything on one partition is it will take much longer to do OS backups, which should be done frequently.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2010   #5
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Again comes Brink to rescue wit his tutorials:
  1. Partition or Volume - Delete
  2. Partition or Volume - Extend
Read tutorial 1 to learn how to delete partition D:. Continue with tutorial 2 to learn how to extend your C: by joining the freed space from deleting D: to C:.

Kari

P.S. Did not notice your original post was your first one, so welcome to the Seven Forums, Kasparovski. You could start your journey with us by checking out our outstanding Tutorials section.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #6
kasparovski

windows 7
 
 

Quote:
One drawback to having everything on one partition is it will take much longer to do OS backups, which should be done frequently.
So far only made backups of my most important files to dvds on xp. I doubt i'll be doing OS backups in windows7... if anything went wrong i'd just reinstall everything. What are the arguments for OS backups (btw you mean operating system backups right ?)?

Quote:
Again comes Brink to rescue wit his tutorials:
  1. Partition or Volume - Delete
  2. Partition or Volume - Extend
Read tutorial 1 to learn how to delete partition D:. Continue with tutorial 2 to learn how to extend your C: by joining the freed space from deleting D: to C:.

Kari

P.S. Did not notice your original post was your first one, so welcome to the Seven Forums, Kasparovski. You could start your journey with us by checking out our outstanding Tutorials section.
Thanks kari... followed his tutorial and everything went ok. Amazing forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do i organize my partitions?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IE9 - organize favorites...
hello I successfully imported my favorites from IE8 but they installed in complete disorder. I do not have the problems some reported (made a search), the organize favorites box is fine when I open it..; but if I have to re-order them one by one... it will take AGES ! :sick: Is there a magic way...
Browsers & Mail
Organize Favorites
When I selet Organize Favorites I get this: any thoughts? Jim :geek:
Browsers & Mail
How to organize & name lots of windows?
Hi, I have several Firefox profiles and everytime I want to change profile I need to open each window to check which one I need. Is there a way to name, tag or change the icon on them so I know which is which staight away? Also does anyone know how I could stack these windows so I just need to...
Performance & Maintenance
Oh Joy!, Trying to organize my files....
I've got 14 physical hard drives attached to my PC and decided tonight that I was going to organize all of my media files so that certain shows and documentaries aren't spread out across the drives. this way I can clean up my libraries and make it easier to find stuff. It's gonna take a while....
Chillout Room
how do you organize your playlists?
i'm having trouble finding ways to organize my music into different playlists, so i was wondering how other people organize theirs. i listen to mostly music with screaming (A Day To Remember, The Blackout, Scar Symmetry, etc) and different derivatives of rock (Lostprophets, Anberlin, AC/DC, The...
Chillout Room
Organize Files
What is the deal with reorganizing your files in a folder. This seems like a very basic function that Microsoft has left out. Is there any way to do this?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:09.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App