I have a clean Win 7 Professional 64 installation on an IDE drive that is working fine and can access another SATA drive that I have installed on the system.
If I clone the IDE disk (Acronis) onto the SATA drive (then use repair to fix the boot details and change the boot order in the bios) then the machine will begin to boot from the SATA drive (showing the starting windows logo) but will restart after about 10 seconds. It's exactly the same each time and in safe mode shows that it crashes after disk.sys.
I originally installed onto the IDE drive because I had the exact same issue when trying to install directly onto the SATA drive and figured it might be something to do with the drivers
I've tried a number of other suggestions from other posts:
1) disabling all non-essential devices
2) using only one stick of RAM (and trying different sticks)
3) using other SATA drives
4) trying a different video card
5) trying another SATA controller
6) using safe defaults on mb bios
7) updated bios to latest version
8) updated mb and graphics drivers to latest versions
9) using ide modefor the sata disk
I've had install problems before but this one really has me stumped. What I really don't get is why it works on the IDE drive.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.