Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Virtual Memory

16 Jan 2010   #1
ark1227

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 & x64
 
 
Virtual Memory

Hey guys,
ok so i have 3gb ram, 250gb hdd, intel core 2 duo p8400 @ 2.26ghz

so i was wondering about my virtual memory

how much do you suggest that i set it to?
what different will it make?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Jan 2010   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Uh-oh. Let the games begin. Put on your sheepskin chaps and take a deep seat.

You may as well have asked about Intel/AMD, Apple/Microsoft, single or multiple partitions, or infidel/believer.

I have seen threads on this run to hundreds of posts, without a single mind being changed.

Do what you want, but don't explain it publicly--you'd only be begging for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #3
Crispy

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1 (Build 6.1.7601)
 
 

Set it to automatic allocate space for Virtual Memory.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jan 2010   #4
valtonray

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Uh-oh. Let the games begin. Put on your sheepskin chaps and take a deep seat.

You may as well have asked about Intel/AMD, Apple/Microsoft, single or multiple partitions, or infidel/believer.

I have seen threads on this run to hundreds of posts, without a single mind being changed.

Do what you want, but don't explain it publicly--you'd only be begging for it.
lol thats pretty true. you will hear a lot of answers, i say either leave it alone or set it it 2xram, unless you shrink it significantly your not going to have a noticeable penalty, and if you make it to large it's not going to take advantage of the extra space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #5
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

That will depend mainly on what you are doing. Some will disable that entirely for gaming purposes while others will set it up for seeing the paging file on a separate partition or drive. For the novice or basic setup the "Let Windows manage" option is default.

Typically a paging file is custom set to 1 1/2 times the amount of physical memory installed on the system itself for the 64bit Windows while the 32bit will likely see a higher recommendation right in the Virtual Memory properties screen there. That can be upto 2 1/2 times with the 32bit Windows.


Attached Thumbnails
-customize-virtual-memory.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #6
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

Agreed. Set it to "system managed".

If you want to see the real virtual memory usage figures, download the attached zip file, extract the batch script and save to Desktop. RIGHT-click on batch file icon, select "Run as Administrator". An IE8 screen will open with results.

Look at 2nd row "current usage" & "peak usage" - the figures are in MB and represent actual virtual memory usage. Keep in mind that some apps like SysInternals ProcMon write to the page file, so peak usage would appear extremely high if such an app utilized.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #7
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

+ 1 for "System Managed"
Although my page file is set to a separate drive, it is set to system managed.
I've seen too many pc's that have had "low system memory" errors from people setting unnecessary values
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jan 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Just leave it alone. Why do people always want to outsmart the thousands of MS developers that have been pondering about those problems for years. Only chaps that know more than e.g. Mark Russinovich would qualify.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2010   #9
jcgriff2

Windows 7 - Vista
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orpheous View Post
+ 1 for "System Managed"
Although my page file is set to a separate drive, it is set to system managed.
I've seen too many pc's that have had "low system memory" errors from people setting unnecessary values
A page file on a seperate drive/ partition will prevent BSODs from producing kernel (full or mini) memory dumps.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Just leave it alone. Why do people always want to outsmart the thousands of MS developers that have been pondering about those problems for years. Only chaps that know more than e.g. Mark Russinovich would qualify.
I don't believe there is or could be any such person!

I think Mark Russinovich will be the CEO of Microsoft in the near future.

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jan 2010   #10
Orpheous

XP Pro/Vista Ultimate (64)/Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition(64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orpheous View Post
+ 1 for "System Managed"
Although my page file is set to a separate drive, it is set to system managed.
I've seen too many pc's that have had "low system memory" errors from people setting unnecessary values
A page file on a seperate drive/ partition will prevent BSODs from producing kernel (full or mini) memory dumps.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Just leave it alone. Why do people always want to outsmart the thousands of MS developers that have been pondering about those problems for years. Only chaps that know more than e.g. Mark Russinovich would qualify.
I don't believe there is or could be any such person!

I think Mark Russinovich will be the CEO of Microsoft in the near future.

.
Hey, thanks for that info! I guess I've been pretty lucky so far (touch wood), the only BSOD I've had on our home pc's in the last 2 or 3 years was yesterday, while installing a tv tuner card... new drivers fixed the problem in about 10 minutes.
I'll be changing page file location back to default on the 2 that have been changed though, just to be safe.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Virtual Memory




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Virtual Memory
solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved solved
Performance & Maintenance
virtual memory
My windows 7 machine has 16 Gb of RAM memory, an SSD (vertex 111Gb) disk and 2 WD (1Tb) harddisks. To save space on my SSD, I was advised to remove my virtual memory, which I did several months ago. Everything worked fine after that, even Photoshop. This week I started working with MAGIX which...
Performance & Maintenance
Virtual memory 64 bit
Windows 7 64 bit cpu- i7 Ram- 20 GB Graphic card- Nvidia Geforce GTX 580 My pc is designed for 3d graphic, good hardware for home 3d graphic use About virtual memory, i know this is a subject already debated in many threads however my question is expecially related to 64 bit system with...
Performance & Maintenance
What is Virtual Memory?
i searched for things that can optimize my laptop's performance and i found out that virtual memory does a big part. what is it? what is the best "initial size" and "maximum size" for it.? I HAVE ASPIRE4750G: Intel Core i%-2410M, nvidia GeForce GT 540m, 2GB DDR3 Memory, 640GB HDD
General Discussion
about virtual memory
hi everyone i have windows 7 x64 with core i5 , 4gb ram , and radeon hd6570 video : and i had an advice to turnoff the paging file to improve the performance : is that truth
Performance & Maintenance
virtual memory
Hello guys. Please tell me if i proced corect with my virtual memory setup :D I have to harddrives. C and D is the first one, with the OS and other stuff, and E is the second harddrive. As you can see in the image, please tell me if it's right. I have 3 GB DDR ram Thanks
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App