Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing a slimmed down version of 7

19 Jan 2010   #1
stratmaster458

Mac OS X 10.6.2
 
 
Installing a slimmed down version of 7

Hello,
I have a full license upgrade DVD for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I had it installed for a bit but I went back to XP because it was taking up way to much space on my Macbook Pro's bootcamp partition.

How does one install a slimmed down version of windows 7?

all I need windows for is Half Life 2 Orange Box and Solidworks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Jan 2010   #2
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Just a guess, it takes too much space because you did not delete windows.old. Am I right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #3
mxosder16

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

You could take a look at this tutorial:

Custom Windows Installations - Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jan 2010   #4
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

I have not tried this but you may find it helpful to you. Good luck to you!
Custom Windows Installations - Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #5
stratmaster458

Mac OS X 10.6.2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Just a guess, it takes too much space because you did not delete windows.old. Am I right?
actually I did when I upgraded to 7 the first time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #6
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stratmaster458 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Just a guess, it takes too much space because you did not delete windows.old. Am I right?
actually I did when I upgraded to 7 the first time
Ok, my guess was wrong. Maybe some of the other suggestions, will be more beneficial. Take care.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #7
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stratmaster458 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Just a guess, it takes too much space because you did not delete windows.old. Am I right?
actually I did when I upgraded to 7 the first time
Just for the record could you say if you remember how much space was your install using? I have a new install on a test machine and it is only 8.4 gb used. Was yours more than that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #8
stratmaster458

Mac OS X 10.6.2
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by myzr7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stratmaster458 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Just a guess, it takes too much space because you did not delete windows.old. Am I right?
actually I did when I upgraded to 7 the first time
Just for the record could you say if you remember how much space was your install using? I have a new install on a test machine and it is only 8.4 gb used. Was yours more than that?
yeah close to 17 gigs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #9
valtonray

Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
 
 

vLite - Windows Vista configuration tool also works with windows 7. HOWEVER keep in mind removing essential components of the OS may make it unstable. there are forums to help you decide what should be safe to remove but use this software at your own risk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jan 2010   #10
stratmaster458

Mac OS X 10.6.2
 
 

alright can someone provide me with a torrent to a slimmed down copy of Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit that I can use my license key with?

vlite is not installing on my XP pro partition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing a slimmed down version of 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Forcibly installing an old version of a driver?
Hello everyone. I am trying to help my friend. He is running a fresh installation of Windows 7 64bit on a brand new HP laptop. He bought a cheap USB to MIDI adapter for music production. The adapter did not come with a driver CD. Yesterday I was searching the internet and I have tried many...
Drivers
How do I know if I'm installing 64-bit or 32-bit version of Windows 7?
I have 2 computers one runs Win7 Pro 32-bit (netbook) and the other Win7 Pro 64-bit (desktop). I did a clean re-install on my desktop and inadvertently used the 32-bit version. I went through the whole process, including all the updates (!!) and registering the license before realizing that I...
General Discussion
Any way to learn a Windows DVD or ISO version before installing?
Is there any way to learn a Windows DVD version before install? For example I have two Windows 7 ISO's and one of them SP1 slipstream but I don't know which one. (Of course I can understand it from ISO's size but I wonder is there any specific way :)) Thank you
General Discussion
Installing from USB Drive and Change of Version
I followed an internet guide to put the windows 7 RC installation on a USB drive. I just want to know if I need to put a higher version of the RC onto the drive, do I have to start the entire process over (formatting, partition, copy boot sector etc) or can I just copy the new files to replace the...
Installation & Setup
32 or 64bit - What Version will you be installing
It's nearly here, so what version will you be loading and why.
General Discussion
Problems installing 64 bit version
Anyone have problems installing the 64 bit version from the Technet downloads? I have tried it on two different notebooks. One is brand new out of the box. The problem is that it takes over 3-4 hours to install and after the reboot after installation, it is dog slow with multiple blue screens. ...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App