Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Fails to boot setup DVD - STOP ERROR 0x000000A5

26 Feb 2010   #1
2 Bunny

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
System Fails to boot setup DVD - STOP ERROR 0x000000A5

All right, this will probably turn into a really long post, but it is quite an interesting story even if you can't help solve the problem.

All right, so basically I am hoping to run Windows 7 on an old Laptop, an hp pavilion zt1250 (1GHz, 1GB RAM, 20GB HDD, DVD/CD, External WLan, XGA Screen, that sort of old). It isn't like a serious installation, it is more like a "post on YouTube to a "Windows 7 running on a nine year old laptop" or "wow your friends with your old computer running a newer os than their new one (possibly)"", and because it looks pretty darn cool. Anyway, I pop in the install DVD and we get past the gray progress bar and onto "Starting Windows", until all of the sudden out of nowhere, just a second before the cutesy Windows Logo animation appears, I am instantly greeted with a blue screen saying nothing more than:

STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x0001000B, 0x50434146, 0xFFd0ac0, 0x00000000)

It does it on all install discs that I've tried, and it gives me the same error consistently every time. I even tried starting the installer within xp, and that starts okay, but after the first reboot where it boots the partially installed os from the hard drive, it does the same thing before it can continue. Everything that is not essential has been unplugged, tried removing ram modules, on battery or plugged in, checked the extremely simple bios settings menu (you can change like three things, none of which pertain to the situation), and most other items that could possibly be covered here. This leads me to the conclusion, that since it my disc is fine and my hardware is fine (did a bios update), that the installation disc must be first modified in some way, perhaps to skip a certain unnecessary check?

Thanks for all your help!

- 2 Bunny


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Feb 2010   #2
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
All right, this will probably turn into a really long post, but it is quite an interesting story even if you can't help solve the problem.

All right, so basically I am hoping to run Windows 7 on an old Laptop, an hp pavilion zt1250 (1GHz, 1GB RAM, 20GB HDD, DVD/CD, External WLan, XGA Screen, that sort of old). It isn't like a serious installation, it is more like a "post on YouTube to a "Windows 7 running on a nine year old laptop" or "wow your friends with your old computer running a newer os than their new one (possibly)"", and because it looks pretty darn cool. Anyway, I pop in the install DVD and we get past the gray progress bar and onto "Starting Windows", until all of the sudden out of nowhere, just a second before the cutesy Windows Logo animation appears, I am instantly greeted with a blue screen saying nothing more than:

STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x0001000B, 0x50434146, 0xFFd0ac0, 0x00000000)

It does it on all install discs that I've tried, and it gives me the same error consistently every time. I even tried starting the installer within xp, and that starts okay, but after the first reboot where it boots the partially installed os from the hard drive, it does the same thing before it can continue. Everything that is not essential has been unplugged, tried removing ram modules, on battery or plugged in, checked the extremely simple bios settings menu (you can change like three things, none of which pertain to the situation), and most other items that could possibly be covered here. This leads me to the conclusion, that since it my disc is fine and my hardware is fine (did a bios update), that the installation disc must be first modified in some way, perhaps to skip a certain unnecessary check?

Thanks for all your help!

- 2 Bunny

Hi and welcome.

The first question I have is did you run the Free Windows Hardware advisor program that checks your system if it is compatible wiht Windows 7 prior to install?

Second it seems that your old laptop has had this same problem inthe past with other OS installs. It may be just a BIOS update needed but I have found a few others having similiar issues with Win7 installs.
I just Googled "Windows 7 hp pavilion zt1250"


UPDATE
I just did some checking and it seems your laptop hardware will not work with Win7. It is just too old of a system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Feb 2010   #3
S1ip9

Windows 7
 
 

@ 2 Bunny I have this exact same problem and this is on 2 year old hardware. Everything you said above was to the T of what my problem is. I've posted recently Failing Install (unlike the others and on top of the things I tried and things suggested i'm no closer to getting 7 installed than when i started. It just doesn't add up. I'm currently re-installing Vista 64-bit with no problems what so ever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Feb 2010   #4
2 Bunny

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
Reply Reply

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IggyAZ View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2 Bunny View Post
All right, this will probably turn into a really long post, but it is quite an interesting story even if you can't help solve the problem.

All right, so basically I am hoping to run Windows 7 on an old Laptop, an hp pavilion zt1250 (1GHz, 1GB RAM, 20GB HDD, DVD/CD, External WLan, XGA Screen, that sort of old). It isn't like a serious installation, it is more like a "post on YouTube to a "Windows 7 running on a nine year old laptop" or "wow your friends with your old computer running a newer os than their new one (possibly)"", and because it looks pretty darn cool. Anyway, I pop in the install DVD and we get past the gray progress bar and onto "Starting Windows", until all of the sudden out of nowhere, just a second before the cutesy Windows Logo animation appears, I am instantly greeted with a blue screen saying nothing more than:

STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x0001000B, 0x50434146, 0xFFd0ac0, 0x00000000)

It does it on all install discs that I've tried, and it gives me the same error consistently every time. I even tried starting the installer within xp, and that starts okay, but after the first reboot where it boots the partially installed os from the hard drive, it does the same thing before it can continue. Everything that is not essential has been unplugged, tried removing ram modules, on battery or plugged in, checked the extremely simple bios settings menu (you can change like three things, none of which pertain to the situation), and most other items that could possibly be covered here. This leads me to the conclusion, that since it my disc is fine and my hardware is fine (did a bios update), that the installation disc must be first modified in some way, perhaps to skip a certain unnecessary check?

Thanks for all your help!

- 2 Bunny

Hi and welcome.

The first question I have is did you run the Free Windows Hardware advisor program that checks your system if it is compatible wiht Windows 7 prior to install?
Nope, I figured it would yell at me.


Quote:
Second it seems that your old laptop has had this same problem in the past with other OS installs. It may be just a BIOS update needed but I have found a few others having similiar issues with Win7 installs.
I just Googled "Windows 7 hp pavilion zt1250"
No, it hasn't acutally. Windows xp installs perfectly every time, as mentioned above.

Quote:


UPDATE
I just did some checking and it seems your laptop hardware will not work with Win7. It is just too old of a system.
Then how do you explain those people installing it with pentium 2s and a quarter gigabyte of ram on YouTube?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by S1ip9 View Post
@ 2 Bunny I have this exact same problem and this is on 2 year old hardware. Everything you said above was to the T of what my problem is. I've posted recently Failing Install (unlike the others and on top of the things I tried and things suggested i'm no closer to getting 7 installed than when i started. It just doesn't add up. I'm currently re-installing Vista 64-bit with no problems what so ever.
I know, there is just something funky about the hardware, it should at least load the installer.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming! ☺

- 2 Bunny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #5
S1ip9

Windows 7
 
 

What bios verison are you running. I am running AMI BIOS 0404 wondering if there is any relation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #6
2 Bunny

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by S1ip9 View Post
What bios verison are you running. I am running AMI BIOS 0404 wondering if there is any relation
It is some kind of Insyde Software thing.

I also discovered that the first half gigabyte of ram is in fact not baked onto the motherboard, and that after reading the service manual it involved looking beneath the keyboard, which I did, then switched out the ram with a different extra one I found, and it still didn't work, so I'm quite sure it isn't the ram.

- 2 Bunny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2010   #7
2 Bunny

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 

So nothing? Its back to the drawing board?

- 2 Bunny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #8
S1ip9

Windows 7
 
 

Well I'll give you an update on my situation. I've gotten further than I've been able to get. I had a bios version of 0404 and ASUS had released a bios update of 0701.

I flashed the bios and just like that the install was able to get further than before. Everything went smooth. Although I still can't get into win7, it is installed, and I can finally get past the blank screen. It just hangs on "Windows is setting up your computer for the first time" with the pulsing light.

Not sure if it was stated above but if it's possible try a different bios or updated bios version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2010   #9
2 Bunny

Windows 7 64Bit
 
 
SOON TO COME UPDATES Reply

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by S1ip9 View Post
Well I'll give you an update on my situation. I've gotten further than I've been able to get. I had a bios version of 0404 and ASUS had released a bios update of 0701.

I flashed the bios and just like that the install was able to get further than before. Everything went smooth. Although I still can't get into win7, it is installed, and I can finally get past the blank screen. It just hangs on "Windows is setting up your computer for the first time" with the pulsing light.

Not sure if it was stated above but if it's possible try a different bios or updated bios version.
Huh. Thats really interesting. I'm gonna try some more stuff, and then put in an update. Is that laptop you're trying it on an old laptop?

I really wish that someone would post a list of what these error codes really mean. They're supposed to be for support to diagnose stuff, but the support never knows what they mean.

I'll keep you posted!

- 2 Bunny
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Mar 2010   #10
S1ip9

Windows 7
 
 

Yes the laptop is 5 - 6 years old. An emachine m6811. It's been through hell, but still runs nicely. I would defiantly try updating bios if at all possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Fails to boot setup DVD - STOP ERROR 0x000000A5




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BIOS NOT ACPI COMPLIANT error 0x000000A5
I purchased a new ASUS laptop with Win8. I wanted to replace it with Win7. I wiped, formatted and partitioned the HD. I changed the BIOS so it boots from the DVD. I put my 7 disc in and started. A message says it is loading files. In a minute or so I get the Blue Death Screen with the...
Installation & Setup
Windows update repeatedly fails; occasional BSOD Stop error 0x0093
I'm new to posting on these boards but I'm going to do my best to follow all the guidelines. I ask your forgiveness in advance, just in case. I wasn't able to use the system specs tool because it says .NET won't install. I found that interesting since I believe .NET to be the root of my problems....
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 fails to boot w/ problems with system recovery.
I've had this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) for about 2 years now. I've never really had a serious problem with the OS or anything. But about a week ago the system failed to boot and after awhile I was able to get the Startup Repair to work and restore my computer. However, my system for some reason...
General Discussion
Setup execution fails with Access Denied error
I have four partitions on my hard drive, viz., C, E, F and G. Partitions C and G are NTFS whereas E and F are FAT32. I downloaded wxRuby Setup to the partition E. When I tried to execute the Setup, Windows 7 displayed an error: "Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted....
Software
Install disk fails to boot into setup
I have downloaded windows 7 home premium upgrade ISO from the microsoft store. The burned the iso to disk using the image burner in windows. My problem is that the disk will boot, and a "windows is loading" screen appears which only takes a minute. Then a windows background appears on screen...
Installation & Setup
Win7 Installer fails with BSOD & error code: STOP: ...
Hi everyone, I just bought an Electronic download verison of Windows 7 Professional from http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au to upgrade my system from Windows XP Pro SP3. The setup starts and gets past creating a user account, setting a computer name etc and then restarts and looks like Windows 7 is...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App