Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help me in partitioning my hard drive :)


28 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 
Help me in partitioning my hard drive :)

Hello Guys, I am new to this forum. I have recently ordered a Dell Studio XPS 16 '' lappy
But the problem is that it comes with only 2 partitions one C and other one hidden. The C drive is almost 450 GB in size ( as on my friends Dell ) and the hidden partition is 15 GB. What I want to do is to delete the hidden partition and create 1 primary partition of 65 GB to load windows and 3 logical partitions of sizes 60GB, 170 GB, 170 GB respectievly. I am not sure how to do it although I checked the brilliant tutorial provided I could not make it out
Please help me guys.
I also want to know one thing, how to make primary and logical partitions?
Does fotmatting unallocated space create primary and shrinking a drive creates logical?
Thanks in advance.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 

P.S. I have provided my full system specifications in my profile. Just check it in case you need it
Also forgot to mention, I do not want to create that 200 MB partition. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #3
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

This may help you : Partition Wizard Bootable CD Review and Download,Boot CD,File & Disk Software
Its a bootable cd. So burn it in a cd, and boot from it. Then you will be able to do partitions.

Though I use Acronis to manage my partition, but its not free.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Before deleting the hidden partition you should create your backup discs or buy some from Dell. Instead of sending a DVD with every computer, manufacturers are now having a dedicated small portion of your hard drive to restore the computer to factory settings. They also will have a program to burn the contents of the partition, so you can burn a disk. It is only 15 gig or so, so I would recommend leaving the partition there. Maybe buy an external drive if more space is needed. Windows 7 has a built in partitioning program or you could download one of several free ones.
Paragon Free Partition Manager
Free Partition Manager Express - Leading partitioning software! | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, resize partition
Easus Free partition Master
Free Download Partition Manager, Partition Recovery, Data Recovery and Disk & Partition Copy Software.
Free Partition Wizard
BEST FREE Partition Manager Software for Windows supports all 32-bit & 64 bit Windows No-server OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 
No external software pleaseeeee !!!!!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
This may help you : Partition Wizard Bootable CD Review and Download,Boot CD,File & Disk Software
Its a bootable cd. So burn it in a cd, and boot from it. Then you will be able to do partitions.

Though I use Acronis to manage my partition, but its not free.
Thanks, but can't I do it during fresh Windows Installation? I will prefer that method
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 
Thanks but ??????

Dell provides backup disks, I will prefer a Windows installation time partitioning walkthrough dude. Actually 15 GB is not the problem, problem is that I am never going to use Dell Recovery it is full of bloatware. Please help me.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 

Friends please help me ;-(
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Great Poster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
This may help you : Partition Wizard Bootable CD Review and Download,Boot CD,File & Disk Software
Its a bootable cd. So burn it in a cd, and boot from it. Then you will be able to do partitions.

Though I use Acronis to manage my partition, but its not free.
Thanks, but can't I do it during fresh Windows Installation? I will prefer that method
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Great Poster View Post
Friends please help me ;-(
Obviously! In time of fresh installation, you can do it. But then you may have to format your drive, so all data will be lost. So First go for a backup.

If you plan for a fresh installation, then how can I help you? Dont you know how to install? Then you may see it :Clean Install Windows 7 . In step 8, you will have the partition ("new" button, having a yellow asterix in front of it) option.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #9

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 

Yeah I want to do a fresh installation Arc. Please help me, I know how to install but not how to partition matching my needs. Can you just walk me through assuming that there are 2 partitions, one 450 GB & other 15 GB to matchy needs? I mean what to click, delete or extend etc. Please help me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Mar 2010   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit English
 
 
Please help Arc !!!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Great Poster View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
This may help you : Partition Wizard Bootable CD Review and Download,Boot CD,File & Disk Software
Its a bootable cd. So burn it in a cd, and boot from it. Then you will be able to do partitions.

Though I use Acronis to manage my partition, but its not free.
Thanks, but can't I do it during fresh Windows Installation? I will prefer that method
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Great Poster View Post
Friends please help me ;-(
Obviously! In time of fresh installation, you can do it. But then you may have to format your drive, so all data will be lost. So First go for a backup.

If you plan for a fresh installation, then how can I help you? Dont you know how to install? Then you may see it :Clean Install Windows 7 . In step 8, you will have the partition ("new" button, having a yellow asterix in front of it) option.
Plese help Arc see my above reply. I will be really greatful dude
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help me in partitioning my hard drive :)




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Help me in partitioning my hard drive :)
Thread Forum
Solved Problem partitioning a Hard Drive General Discussion
Problem in partitioning the hard drive Hardware & Devices
Issue with hard drive partitioning Backup and Restore
Help with Partitioning My Hard Drive Hardware & Devices
Hard Drive Partitioning Performance & Maintenance
need help partitioning hard drive.... Performance & Maintenance
Is there a way? (Hard drive partitioning) Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33