Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Dual boot problem???

08 Mar 2010   #11

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by frankluke View Post
But I did have a letter assigned to the hidden sys par.
I was replying to your statement above that you had a letter assigned to the Sys Reserved partition.

Am not saying at all that you need or want one, only that if the letter you want is already assigned to Sys Reserved, you can change it or remove it with no problem.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by frankluke View Post
Maybe between that and all the drives?
It is hard to understand you fully. What does this sentence mean? Are you saying that between the Sys Reserved letter assigned and other drives taking up letters that you are unable to get D assigned to XP?

Which drive currently holds D letter? If it isnt' Windows 7, then change the D drive to another letter in Disk Mgmt and see if XP claims D as you desire during install.
OK-well, I am confused now? This is what I expect to happen:

Quote from another forum user above:Whenever I`ve done a dual boot, each system shows up as C: and the other as D: are you deleting the partition b4 you do the install?

I have tried "not" assigning a letter to HidsysP, I have tried assigning a letter to hidSysP - in both cases when I boot to xp The hidden sys part has C:\ as it's letter and I cannot change it with DMgmt or partition wizard. I know it doesn't matter what Xp is assigned to during install, but I sure don't want it as I:\ or H:\ or whatever when I am done. Many apps (as I know you know) look for ther C:\ drive. So all I want is what I posted above C: and D:\ as the sys partions depending which OS I am in.
I still haven't had time to try suggestions about creating the partition during the XP install and/or disconnecting my other 2 HD's.
Tonight, hopefully I will have time. It may not sem like it, but I actually understand about letter assignment, etc. I use to do this for a living, although it's been 8 years since I have. I just build my own machines and record audio/music and do a little business stuff on xp. I use Windows 7 x64 for my Digital Audio Workstation.
Bottom line is it shouldn't be this much of a hassle. I am ready to re-install everything and "not" let Windows 7 create the stupid hidden Sys Part. I will always have boot disks, I do not need a partition for repairs. To me it's for beginners. Which is actually what I feel like now :-)
Thanks again
Frank

My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #12
Microsoft MVP

 

Def try creating and formatting the partition in XP.

If you want to remove the Sys Reserved partition, we can help you recover the MBR into Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #13

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Def try creating and formatting the partition in XP.

If you want to remove the Sys Reserved partition, we can help you recover the MBR into Windows 7.

Now Greg-That would be great. Is it just the MBR that's stored on there? (as far as booting I mean?
I am just about ready to try creating the partition with XP when I boot from the dvd.
Thanks
Frank
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Mar 2010   #14
Microsoft MVP

 

Yes, the 100mb Sys Reserved partition contains MBR and places the Repair My Computer console on the Advanced Boot Options accessed by tapping F8 at bootup.

I still am not clear what the problem is, sorry to say. I can understand why you want Windows 7 and XP to be C and D as they usually are, and don't see why they wouldn't be if both of those drive letters are avaialble.

Is the 100mb partition taking C or D every time? Did you try giving it a higher letter in Disk Mgmt to keep C and D available?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #15

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Yes, the 100mb Sys Reserved partition contains MBR and places the Repair My Computer console on the Advanced Boot Options accessed by tapping F8 at bootup.

I still am not clear what the problem is, sorry to say. I can understand why you want Windows 7 and XP to be C and D as they usually are, and don't see why they wouldn't be if both of those drive letters are avaialble.

Is the 100mb partition taking C or D every time? Did you try giving it a higher letter in Disk Mgmt to keep C and D available?
That is why I said in a previous post that I tried w/o a letter assignment on HidSysP and with. So, yes it grabs it everytime (not D, but C and yes (the next time) I assigned it to S:. I don't understand why you don't understand,What is it you don't understand? hidSysP grabs, steals, whatever C; and will not let go-when booting into XP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Mar 2010   #16
Microsoft MVP

 

I did not understand because it was not clear exactly what was happening from your posts. There may be a language barrier involved.

I think I understand now. If XP is assuming C when it is supposed to be assigned to Windows 7, this is normal.

With most XP/Windows 7 dual boots, the OS you are in at the time will be lettered C, while the other one will be lettered D.

Let us know how it turns out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Mar 2010   #17

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I did not understand because it was not clear exactly what was happening from your posts. There may be a language barrier involved.

I think I understand now. If XP is assuming C when it is supposed to be assigned to Windows 7, this is normal.

With most XP/Windows 7 dual boots, the OS you are in at the time will be lettered C, while the other one will be lettered D.

Let us know how it turns out.

Are you playing a game with me? - Is this a joke? You should not try to help people if you do not understand the language. You have wasted a lot of my time. I should have realized it sooner. XP is "NOT" assuming C:, the hidden system Partition is assuming C: Why do you do that? Unbelievable! Please leave me alone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #18

Win7x64
 
 
For GregRocker and Forum

Greg-It seems after much browsing you are sincere. So I apoligize, but it sure seemed like you were playing a game with me as it went on and one. So what is your native language?
No harm intended.
Thanks for your efforts
Frank
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #19
Microsoft MVP

 

It's OK, Frank. I was trying hard to understand your situation so that I wouldn't steer you wrong. I don't give up easily when I am trying to help someone.

One thing we have learned here is not to immediately assume anyone's intentions since the typed words can be misleading. If I was clumsy in explaining this as being a "language barrier", I apologize.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Mar 2010   #20

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It's OK, Frank. I was trying hard to understand your situation so that I wouldn't steer you wrong. I don't give up easily when I am trying to help someone.

One thing we have learned here is not to immediately assume anyone's intentions since the typed words can be misleading. If I was clumsy in explaining this as being a "language barrier", I apologize.

No-You were just being you-You were fine. It was hard for me to understand, that's all. I got very frustrated and got stupid! My bad!
Thanks
Frank
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual boot problem???





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dual boot problem???
Thread Forum
Dual Boot problem, Ubuntu is the main boot Installation & Setup
Dual boot with cloned copy - boot problem Installation & Setup
Solved Problem reverting from Dual Boot to Single Boot Installation & Setup
Solved dual boot (WIn XP & Win 7). Problem!! Installation & Setup
Dual boot xp and win 7 boot manager problem. Installation & Setup
Dual boot XP with W7RC boot problem Installation & Setup
Windows boot up problem in dual boot(win 7 & OSx86) General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33