Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remove Dual Boot

12 Mar 2010   #1
gmansa

Windows 7
 
 
Remove Dual Boot

Hi

I have a drive with 4 partitions:
1: 6.83GB Recovery Partition (laptop drive begin used in desktop, can't remember but think it belong to the laptop, so I would like to keep it)
2: 29.30GB Vista 32bit
3: 29.30GB Windows 7 64bit
4: 46.36GB Just a data drive

I would like to keep Windows 7 but safely remove Vista from the boot and then format partition 2 and combine it with 4, I will move everything around to combine 2 and 4.

One thing I have never really understood is where the boot loader is located.

Any help will be great please!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Mar 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Go ahead and delete the Vista partition.

Then run Startup Repair. If it doesn't work, mark the Windows 7 partition as active and run startup repair again. See my post http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html for instructions on marking the partition as active.

When you can boot into 7, download Partition Wizard and expand/move your partitions as needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #3
gmansa

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Go ahead and delete the Vista partition.

Then run Startup Repair. If it doesn't work, mark the Windows 7 partition as active and run startup repair again. See my post http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...-problems.html for instructions on marking the partition as active.

When you can boot into 7, download Partition Wizard and expand/move your partitions as needed.
Thanks Jonathan

That was what I was initially planning to do, but I'm really not in the mood to do any fixing at the moment.

Those 2 partitions have the following flags:
2: Vista: System, Active, Primary Partition
3: Windows 7: Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition

From what I understand the boot loader used will be the one on the Active Partition. So if I change the Windows 7 partition to the Active one, what is the boot loader I need to look for on the Windows 7 drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


12 Mar 2010   #4
Saltgrass

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gmansa View Post
From what I understand the boot loader used will be the one on the Active Partition. So if I change the Windows 7 partition to the Active one, what is the boot loader I need to look for on the Windows 7 drive?
You are correct, the Win 7 will need to be active for a repair since the system needs an active partition to boot. The files needed are bootmgr and a folder called boot. They are hidden system files so you will need to set up your view to see them.

An alternative to running startup repair is to use the following command in an administrative command prompt, hit enter after.

bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

Wait for a response before closing window. This will put the boot files in the Win 7 directory, assuming C: is the Win 7 directory.

To open an administrative command prompt, type CMD in the Start Menu search box then hit CTRL+Shift Enter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #5
gmansa

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gmansa View Post
From what I understand the boot loader used will be the one on the Active Partition. So if I change the Windows 7 partition to the Active one, what is the boot loader I need to look for on the Windows 7 drive?
You are correct, the Win 7 will need to be active for a repair since the system needs an active partition to boot. The files needed are bootmgr and a folder called boot. They are hidden system files so you will need to set up your view to see them.

An alternative to running startup repair is to use the following command in an administrative command prompt, hit enter after.

bcdboot C:\windows /s C:

Wait for a response before closing window. This will put the boot files in the Win 7 directory, assuming C: is the Win 7 directory.

To open an administrative command prompt, type CMD in the Start Menu search box then hit CTRL+Shift Enter.
Thanks Saltgrass, just did it and rebooted, worked like a charm, thanks a mil!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #6
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Be sure the Windows 7 partition is active, then run startup repair. That will write a new boot loader to the 7 partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #7
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Do you want to recover the deleted Vista space into Win7? If so, post back a screenshot of full Disk Management drive map using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in Reply box.

We will give you the steps to do this using free Partition Wizard bootable CD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remove Dual Boot




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Remove XP dual boot
I'm trying to remove a dual boot of XP (the D drive on the screenshot) on a single HD and expand the space for my windows 7 installation. It doesn't seem to be possible to do it directly through disk management. I have a copy of EasyBCD installed and a copy of the partition wizard bootable CD...
Installation & Setup
Remove XP from dual boot
I'm currently dual booting Win7 and XP Pro. Because the fix that prevents XP from wiping out restore points in Win 7 won't work on this system I want to remove XP completely and just run Win 7. How should I go about this, do I just format the XP partition from Win7, and will the boot manager need...
Installation & Setup
Want to remove XP from dual boot
Please someOne help me..I want to remove XP(C) from my hard disk. i.e i want to format C drive ..i have dual boot with windows 7(D)..primary partition is C: and boot is on D ..wat should i do ? please give me steps..
Installation & Setup
Dual-Boot XP/WIN 7 - How to Remove XP ?
I have XP Pro installed in a 15 Gbte Partition and WIN 7 installed on a 20 Gbte Partition in a Dual Boot setup. I now want to remove the XP and use only WIN 7. How do I go about removing the XP fron this Dual-Boot setup, please ?
Installation & Setup
Remove XP from dual boot
After reading a number of posts, I think I have the steps but would appreciate some hand holding. Here is my current config from disk manager file:///C:/Users/Scott/Desktop/Capture.PNG1. XP is on drive 0 which is the active drive 2. Win 7 is on drive 2. First boot win 7 Then go to disk...
Installation & Setup
Dual Boot XP and Win 7 - Remove XP
Hi I hope someone can help on here. I have 2 hard drives with XP installed on 1 and then i installed windows 7 on the other. On bootup i get the option to select the operating systems. Now i want to only have windows 7 and remove XP completely so that i can format the hard drive with xp on...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App